Are some people more / less susceptible to optical illusions?

That’s a great idea. But perhaps the following might make it more effective.

Person A who can see the image stands on one side of the door and views it until they see the 3-d.

Now position Person B on the other side of the door where Person A can see Person B normally while still seeing the 3-d image.

Then have Person A stand aside and have Person D (difficulty) stand exactly where Person A was.

Then tell Person D to look at Person B normally.

I can do magic eye illusions both ways (cross eyes or lengthening focus) and I cannot make your letters do anything.

By coincidence, I was showing some optical illusions to my 7-year-old daughter just a couple of days ago, and she seems to be immune to most of them. All the “these lines aren’t parallel”, “these lines aren’t the same length” tricks totally failed to work on her - unless she was just being cussed to annoy me. A couple of the images that appear to show movement in a still image seemed to work on her, but not others.

Are children somehow less likely to be fooled by these things?
Edit to add: re Magic Eye images, how do people manage to do the eye crossing thing while still having the Magic Eye image in focus - likewise, looking through a glass door, wouldn’t the Magic Eye image be too blurry to work if you’re focusing on something beyond the glass? I can never get those things to work, as I have one very weak eye.

What finally did it for me was when a co-worker had one in a frame, with glass in front. I focused on my own reflection in the glass - and then had no trouble seeing the picture.

I’m out of the habit now; it would be hard to see them now.

But if you focus on the reflection, isn’t the picture blurry? Or does it have to be blurry in order to work? In other words, can you ever actually see a Magic Eye picture “in sharp focus”, or will it always be a vague blurry blob?

After I get the alignment right (both eyes looking at different parts of the image that correspond), I find that I automatically focus. That said, the illusion is all about the depth, not the individual details, so it doesn’t really matter if it is blurry.

I printed out and made one of those paper “hollow face dragons” and I can confirm that it doesn’t work when you look at it from a few feet away with both eyes, but if you either move 10+ feet away or close an eye (or look at it through your cell phone camera), presto! If I concentrate I can usually force myself to see it as it really is, then “relaxing” makes the face just pop out, it’s really freaky to see it “happen” in real-time.

That’s the point. Do NOT focus on the image. If you attempt to focus on the image, all you will see is the messy dots and blobs. You have to intentionally focus beyond the image. Once you force your eyes to adjust for a different focal distance, a new image (in 3D) will manifest itself. All this talk about “crossing your eyes” and such, is just a way to describe the process of changing the focus depth of your eyes. So if the image is about 18 inches from your face, make your eyes adjust as if you are trying to focus on an image that is several feet away. Then the illusion will take effect.

Yup.

Also as a somewhat discriminating feature in autistic spectrum disorders.

Our brains are evolved to detect expected signals from noise and to literally create patterns, signals, the differing overlapping levels of top-down abstract concepts, out of what is always noisy bottom-up input. In nature that usually works to our information processing advantage.
FWIW no matter how hard I try and what “tricks” I use I cannot get those Magic Eye ones to work.

Yes.

My guess is that it correlates with when they stop being so freakishly good at those memory matching games.

There are also cultural differences in how illusions are perceived.

Sorry for the multipost but this is interesting stuff to me and I figured I would pass along some of what I am finding.

A related bit is AI’s performance in responding to what humans perceive as perceptual illusions.

The emphasis is from the perspective that in most real world circumstances “optical illusions are not a bug but a feature” …

That bit on how within layer feedback increases an AI’s ability to “perceive” the illusion.

This one on how difficult it is for the deep learning technique of the generative adversarial network, which has otherwise been so impressive, to succeed with illusions.

But this one showing that a deep neural network trained for prediction will identify the illusory motion as humans perceive it.