Are the Back to the Future sequels really that bad?

That’s not really any different than the first movie, which also had all of it’s time travel at the beginning and end. You could say it’s “just a movie set in the 1950s”.

It was fun to see the callbacks in the old west to those that they had in the other eras - skateboard, actors paying their own relatives, the skateboard, the manure, the videogame, the scale model, the changing photo, etc. Also loved the Clara story. And the origin of the clock tower.

I personally didn’t like the old west setting because there’s no interesting technology. I did love the stuff at the beginning, and I did love the callbacks and resolution of Marty’s arc, but the setting just wasn’t my favorite.

Plus, I’m not a big fan of a character suddenly getting a love interest, especially when it’s love at first sight. You have to do a lot to convince me that the character is good enough for the character I already know. And, for some reason, Clara never made it for me. All I remembered before looking her up was that she was smart and loves Doc enough to stop him from leaving.

Hmm. I always looked at it like, part of the reason (aside from being isolated because of his dedication to his work) Doc has always been alone is that he never met the right woman before, and now that he has, it was love at first sight. We all find love eventually, just some of us later than others. Awww!

That’s kind of the problem. To me, Back to the Future is mostly about the 50s and cool sci-fi technology, like flying delorians. The Old West movie was more about exploring the characters, particularly Doc.

I also found it more interesting when Marty was interacting with his family in the first two, like encountering his future uncle who would be in jail. In part III though, it was so far removed that I didn’t find his interactions with his ancestor all that important.

To be fair, I’ve watched the first two repeatedly, but haven’t seen the third in a long time. Maybe I would feel differently now that I’m older.

BTW, I just now realized (in looking up stuff about Clara) that they rebuilt the train. I had thought all this time that somehow the train had somehow picked up some time juju from the Delorean. That probably hurt my enjoyment of the film.

Say what?

Train went over cliff go boom.

Time juju??

I dunno, I’d say it’d be easier to retrofit a train rather than rebuild one. I want to know where my goddamn Cafe 80’s (with Max Headroom and Michael Jackon waiters) is? :mad:

At least inflation hasn’t caught up yet.

Yes, quite spectacularly, but where does “rebuilt” come in?
:slight_smile:

They have a time travelling locomotive. Big set-piece joke at the end of the trilogy. They assembled that guy from the destroyed train parts in the ravine.

And installed a hover conversion! :slight_smile:

I’ll have to watch again and see if there are the same numbers on the smokestacks. :slight_smile:

I like part 3 for a couple of reasons. First of all, I liked the expansion on Doc’s personality and that they actually managed to get some character development for him and Marty in between the problem-solving and capers (for example, Marty coming to realize how his not liking people calling him “chicken” can get him into trouble).

Second, I’m a fan of Clara because she’s the late-19th century equivalent of a nerd: she reads Jules Verne and lugged a telescope all the way out to the Wild West :smiley:

Another fan of part two here. :slight_smile:

While we’re on the subject, although I can suspend my disbelief with all the time traveling, etc., the one thing that pulls me out of BTTF is the scene at the end of part three where the DeLorean gets creamed by the train. The train keeps on going. Um, wouldn’t an engineer be required to stop if he hits a car? And none of the people sitting in their cars at the crossing saw it? And no one in the houses alongside the track? Suuuuure.:smiley:

This is my least favorite part of the trilogy. There is no hint of it at all in the first one and it is introduced out of nowhere in the second just to give Marty a character arc.

It is a very different movie from District 9. Really the only thing they have in common is the ships look sort of similar.

Oops. I had two tabs opened and pasted a second half of a post into the wrong thread. That second part is referring to Battle: Los Angeles.

Agreed. I watched 2 last night after reading this thread, and started 3, which I’ll finish in a little while. The whole ‘chicken’ thing is very contrived, and feels contrived from the very first time they do it.

The other thing that I know is supposed to be sort of funny, but gets rather old when you watch them together is the “I had a horrible nightmare.” “Well you’re back in good ol’ 1955…the 27th floor…the McFly Farm…” Funny the first time when his mom was young…old the other times.

Part II is actually very good after they leave the future. I think what I don’t like about the parts in the future is not the over the top tech junk, but rather Griff…which is just so insanely stupid… Once they get away from that joke of a plot device, the rest of the film is quite good.

Don’t they try to get him into the crime in two by saying, “Ain’t you got no scrot”?
(However one spells it.)

I presume it takes a long time for a train to stop, and they just didn’t waste time showing it.

They will. You’re just not thinking 4th dimensionally. :stuck_out_tongue: