Are the Governments of the world right about aliens causing mass hysteria?

I guess it depends on how you look at it. If NASA is told not to release anything to the public regarding the existence of aliens by the people in power who vote to fund NASA then I’d imagine NASA would do as it is told. It isn’t like NASA needs to prove to the other levels of Government that aliens exist, since if NASA knows then the agencies concerned would already know. NASA is a Government agency, which is more interested in keeping the secret. People seem to think the threat of losing one’s livelihood isn’t a powerful deterrent that is used to keep people in line.

On another note, there is plenty of information out there about some of the sightings and questions raised by astronauts during the Apollo missions. People inclined to believe will believe it and people who aren’t so inclined will dismiss it as lies, conspiracy, or loony.

It’s not just governments that would have to be in on it. Tens of thousands (at a minimum) of astronomers, astrophysicists, climatologists, and backyard skygazers around the world would have to be in on the conspiracy in one way or another. This includes people in countries and groups that despise each other and have absolutely no reason to work together at all. This includes hippy researchers who hate government secrecy and would love to stick it the man. This includes political leftists in right-wing controlled places, and political rightists in left-wing controlled places. This includes apolitical people who don’t particularly care about the repercussions of disclosure on their government. It would likely also include god-knows how many journalists who specialize in covering either science and / or government secrecy.

And it includes the aliens themselves, of course. Any secrecy could only exist if the aliens strictly enforced it. So, are there not any dissident aliens? Any alien journalists seeking to reveal the truth? No political aliens trying to fuck with the ruling party or group? Not a single alien religious proselytizer desiring to convert humanity to its version of Space-Jesus? No aliens that are simply careless around a cell-phone camera (hundreds of millions of which exist and are in use at any given time)? No alien philosophers who value disclosure above secrecy? No alien war-hawks that simply want to conquer us and exploit our resources? Not a single group of criminal aliens who don’t give a damn about the “Don’t Reveal Yourself to the Humans” law? Not even any significant slip-ups or screw-ups by aliens working late on their equivalent of a Friday? Not anywhere in the past however-many decades? No accidental diseases or microscopic organisms start spreading?

And for how many years (decades?) do these tens of thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of people need to keep the secret? How many generations? There’s simply no comparison to be made to any other secret ever kept in human history. The best analogy I can come up with would be to imagine if native American leaders had tried to keep the arrival of Europeans secret. How long could that have lasted? Even if every single European and every native leader was in on it, it couldn’t possibly hold up for long.

In short, the scope of the secrecy would be many orders of magnitude greater than any other secret ever kept in human history.

How much money does the highest-paid employee of NASA make in lifetime?

How much money would that employee make in a single year selling a tell-all book and going on the talk-show circuit?

You really have no idea how things work in government, do you? First off, there really is no big “G” government capable enough, let alone powerful enough, to control all the different departments that are constantly fighting with each other over constantly diminishing budgets and constantly changing positions of political power. Our government just isn’t stable enough to even begin to contain such a secret, and there is no getting around that very real fact.

There are thousands of people trying to tell the secret. Backyard astronomers don’t have the resources that the Government has and when they request information, even through the Freedom of Information Act they are stonewalled or receive heavily redacted documents, or video evidence they claim has been heavily edited or airbrushed. History is riddled with examples of Government conspiracy and coverups.

Read The Medusa File: Secret Crimes and Coverups by the U.S. Government for examples.

How many tenured researchers? Professional astrophysicists? Climatologists? Former clandestine worker (spy, analyst, whatever)? High-ranking diplomats or politicians? Have all of these people lost their livelihoods? Have they been killed? Are they all worse off now that they’ve told the secret? What evidence have they presented? How many thousands (millions? billions?) of aliens are trying to tell the secret? How do you know there are thousands of people trying to tell “the” secret, and not thousands of people trying to tell many different secrets, some of which might not be true or might be misleading? (In other words, are all or most of these thousands of people actually making consistent claims?)

History is riddled with examples of governments (small-g, plural) failing to keep their most embarrassing secrets and most sensitive missions secret. Yes, there are countless government-related conspiracies and coverups. Nobody has claimed otherwise. Can you name a single government conspiracy that was even close to as large, long-lived, and secret as the alleged one about aliens? Do you know of any conspiracy that was kept secret by multiple world governments even when those governments were at war or in conflict with each other?

Do you think the native American leaders could have kept the arrival of Europeans secret? For how long?

Can you summarize what sort of evidence is presented in the book and what specific claims that evidence supports?

How about evidence for the subject of this particular thread?

Not exactly. You said

Maybe you didn’t mean to, but this reads as you saying here that it is a “no brainer” that there is at least some credible evidence, not just that you believe it credible. You are not being attacked for your opinion but for what you appear to be declaring as incontrovertible fact.

I just like the occasional documentary. I couldn’t possibly tell you how many tenured researchers, astrophysicists, Climatologists (not sure how that relates), spies, high ranking diplomats, or politicians have spoken out.

Excerpt from Amazon: From World War II to present, there has been hidden within the highest levels of government secrets that you are not supposed to discover. During the period of 1940 to this day the power brokers, working from their positions of trust, have committed and then covered up the most heinous of crimes known to mankind. Investigative journalist Craig Roberts, author of “Kill Zone–a Sniper Looks at Dealey Plaza”, now provides us with the results of his ten -year investigation regarding the secret crimes and coverups of the U.S. Government. You will read his case files on such subjects as the Japanese “Devil Unit 731” who experiments on American POWs in WWII with germ warfare weapons–and what happened when the war ended and the commanding officer was hired by the government instead of hanged for war crimes; Operation Paperclip in WWII when the U.S. brought Nazi scientists to America to work for us on our weapons programs instead of standing trial as war criminals; CIA and military mind control experiments on unsuspecting citizens–including children–without our knowledge; Secret drug and bacteriological weapons experiments on the American population; Atomic guinea pigs, Agent Orange, and the Gulf War Syndrome; what really happened to over 30,000 U.S. POWs after World War II, Korea and Vietnam; International assassinations, drug smuggling and money laundering; What the media did not tell you about the shoot down of TWA 800, the bombing of Pan AM 103, the Oklahoma City bombing, the crash of Arrow Air in Gander, Newfoundland, the derailment of the Sunset Limited in Arizona, the World Trade Center bombing in 1993, and much more….

Thanks. I can see where you could misinterpret what I was saying. Perhaps I could rephrase it. In my mind it is a no brainer that other intelligent life exists. I also believe that some of the evidence that we have been visited is credible.

Which evidence do you believe is the most credible?

Do you realize how many times you’ve asked this same question or some variation of it? I’ve said it at least two times now, but I’ll repost it again. I believe this makes four times if you count the repost or quote by Johnny L.A. :confused:

How can I be anymore clear on what I believe to be credible?

Clear as mud. Apparently, you are going to continue on falling back on “credible witnesses” you never intend to actually name. Well, guess what: every time you bring up evidence, I’m going to ask to see it, and every time you bring up witnesses, I’m going to ask for their names. You bitch about how you are just stating your opinion, but you keep inserting so-called “facts” that you want us to take for granted, and that just isn’t going to happen. Sorry about that.

I believe they are out there, and that they don’t give a shit about us.

Hard to accept, I know. :frowning:

You really have no idea how things work in Government, do you?

The X-Files is just a television show.

I think I’ve made it abundantly clear that this is my opinion and in my opinion some of the interviews I’ve seen of what I consider credible witnesses are convincing. If I didn’t convey that adequately enough in my original post then I have done so since you tee’d off the first time. If you haven’t let that sink in up to this point then you truly are daft.

This is a topic of which I feel is interesting, but it is by no means a passion of mine. I didn’t take notes of the names of the people in these interviews for use in the off chance that I someday may post a poll on some website and I’m not going to spend more than a few moments of my time, and certainly not enough time to dig for references, on some anonymous troll who keeps pestering me for information that, even if I had, wouldn’t serve any purpose other than to give said troll more shit to sling. You’ve made no attempt at anything other than poking and antagonizing in this thread and if I had to guess you are probably like this in most discussions (online anyway) that you choose to be a part of. Your intent is clear. We all get that Czarcasm is someone’s antagonistic, condescending, online alter-ego, but you need a new outlet. I don’t know, maybe just go jerk off or lift cars in a parking lot or something, because your act is old here.

Just to be clear to anyone else who falls into this category, you are not going to get verified, unequivocal, proof of aliens. No verified photos of UFOs or aliens sitting around the card table. All you are going to get is MY OPINION.

I read one of these government conspiracy books, published in 2000. The last article was about the 1993 bombing, and conclusively demonstrated that fear of Osama bin Laden was misplaced and that the guy would never be a threat to anyone.

You had better upgrade your bullshit meter, my friend.

I also recommend you read a book (now out of print) called The Great Airship Mystery. In the 1890s there were multiple sightings of a mysterious airship all across the United States. Multiple people saw it, including policemen and respectable officials. There were even close encounters with the pilot - who was from New England. No aliens involved. In short, there was all the evidence then that there is for UFOs now - but there was no such airship.

Not to mention the question of why aliens would go to NASA in the first place. To conspiracy theorists NASA is very advanced, to aliens who can travel interstellar distances NASA is about at the level of a canoe maker. If they want someone with power, they can land at any military base.
Plus, why hide? I don’t know how long the OP things the aliens have been here, but if it has been since the late '40s why are they waiting around for governments to do something? They can fly their craft over the Superbowl some year and then everyone will know. (Assuming there isn’t a great play being run.)
If they want to stay hidden from us, they are doing a damn poor job of it.
I started reading about UFOs in 1962, and it soon became obvious they are nonsense, and each passing year reaffirms this conclusion.

Not asking for proof-just the “evidence” and “witnesses” you constantly bring up. If you quit bringing them up, I’ll quit bringing them up…but you aren’t getting any free passes here.

I think thisis what you are looking for.

You’ll just have to play with yourself.