Are there any songs you can't listen to without thinking of a parody?

Whereas I hear “Rock Me, Jerry Lewis.”

All of the dirty versions of “I’m Popeye the Sailor Man” and “The Streets of Cairo.”

The theme to Gilligan’s Island sung to the tune of “Stairway to Heaven.”

Me, too.

Here at the bar I feel safest of all, I get drunk as a skunk and throw up on the wall…in bars.

I can never hear the Bridal Chorus from Lohengrin without thinking of the old childhood parody “Here comes the bride / Fair, fat, and wide.”

On the Weird Al note, I can’t hear Greg Khin’s Jeopardy without expecting to hear Don Pardo introducing Al.

On the non-Weird Al note…Guantanamera, I can only hear ‘One ton tomato, I have a one ton tomato’…

The Saga Begins, by Weird Al has basically replaced American Pie. “A long, long time ago/In a galaxy far away/Naboo was under an attack…”

You can tell that Weird Al is a genuine Star Wars fan from this, I think.

There’s that song, which I assume is called “new york state of mind”, not sure who sung it, female vocalist I think, but it is fairly well known. Whenever I catch a snatch of it I automatically sing the “Goldie lookin chain” version, “Newport state of mind” which I believe to be, in essence, superior.

A lot of Weird Al songs do that for me, but none as strongly as Another One Rides the Bus. I can’t hear Another One Bites the Dust without singing along using Al’s lyrics.

I have long since concluded that the Richard Cheese parody (often misattributed to Weird Al Yankovic) of Barry Manilow’s “(At The Copa) Copacabana” surpasses the original

And I’ve seen this parody of Joan Osborne’s 1990s hit “(What If God Was) One Of Us” variously (mis)attributed so often, I actually don’t know who created/performed it, LOL. (Half the time it’s flat out attributed to Joan Osborne, which I doubt)

I can’t hear “Hava Nagila” without singing “Have some tequila”.

Or worse, one I came up with myself. A friend was visiting and wanted a snack, but wasn’t in the mood for the usual chips. I had recently purchased a rather large bunch of bananas, so I starting singing (to the tune of “Hava Nagila”), “Have a banana, have a banana, have a banana; why not have two.”

Alicia Keys, “Empire State of Mind.” I heard it on the radio a couple of hours ago and made a note of it. Synchronicity strikes again!

I got the LP soundtrack from Mary Poppins for Christmas 1965. The Sherman Brothers must have been writing for ten-year-old boys, because I transformed “I Love to Laugh” into “I Love to Fart” in no time at all. (The parody practically wrote itself.) Another beloved childhood memory desecrated!

I know there are at least two parodies of the theme from Daniel Boone, neither of which I can post here. I actually wrote one of them when I was in high school and taught it to a guy my age at summer camp in 1972. I was back the next summer and tried teaching it to another guy who stopped me as soon as I started singing. “You didn’t write that!” he said. “A guy at my high school did!”

Turned out he and the guy I had taught it to the previous summer were classmates. I’ve always wondered if it spread from there, the way a virus would.

actually, I make up my own usually and they end up beyond filthy

The Daniel Boone parodies I know aren’t really “filthy,” just incredibly non-PC.

the original

the parody

A real old one called “San Miguel” by the Kingston Trio had a parody but I can’t remember if it’s the original or a parody. Mostly I remember the parody lyrics “she calls me a wetback and threaten to send me away.” The original was about a serious romance between a highborn lady and a servant. The parody she wanted rid of him.

There was a British band called the Barron Knights who were famous for their parodies in the 70s. Whenever I hear Boney M’s song Rivers of Babylon, I hear their rendition Dentist In Birmingham.

The Wiggles sang a cover of “Six Months in a Leaky Boat” featuring Tim Finn of Split Enz, where Captain Feathersword the pirate provides a lot of the entertainment value, but I think they really missed an opportunity to re-record “Hot Potato” to that Falco tune.

Ditto what everyone else has said about Weird Al.

Originally done by Little Roger and the Goosebumps.

Every time I hear U2’s One I think of this.

Whereas I, if faced with the same situation, would have started in with “have a banana / have a whole bunch / it doesn’t matter / what you had for lunch / just eat it”…

One of these days I’m going to a karaoke night and sing the entire “Weird Al” parody songbook to the originals until I get booed off the stage (probably halfway through the first song).