Are there different "kinds" of drunk? (beer vs. wine vs. spirits)

the type of alcohol does not affect you as you think. x happened to me while drinking y so x = y right? no, its psychological, people will drink x to try and recreate y or use x as an excuse to do y. ie. when i drink whisky i sleep whith fat chicks, im drinking whisky so its ok to sleep with a fat chick today.

I used to be a beer drinker, but no longer have the stomach for it… so I tried to switch to something harder. However, while beer always seemed to make me a beer happy drunk, vodka seems to make me grumpy. So I no longer drink enough to get drunk.

All the other information may be true regarding expectations and therefore not based on the difference in tequila, but amen to this. I get way belligerent when I drink straight tequila, in a way that I do not experience when I drink shots of other straight alcohol.

The way I put it when asked is “riots start, cops get called, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.” It’s not pretty. I avoid straight tequila as much as possible, but shot of other straight alcohol do not cause the same problems for me.

There are so many silly myths regarding alcohol. Here in Denmark, I can’t say if it was international, there was a huge wave where people knocked on the top of canned beers before opening.

People believe in things even easier when they are drunk. And that’s no small task.

I’ve just been to my booze fridge and had a look at relative alcohol concentrations of the beverages in which my household imbibes.

My roomie’s white wine has an alcohol concentration of 13%. At 750 ml, that’s pretty much 100 ml (actually 97.5 ml) of ethanol.

My beer is rated at 5%, which means to achieve 100 ml of ethanol down my gullet, I’d need to consume 2 litres, which would be in the form of four 1/2 litre cans.

I promise you, were I to drink a bottle of Lindemans Sauvignon Blanc all to myself, I’d end up really fucking annoying. However, after four cans of Grolsch I’m only just verging on tipsy.

Regarding liquid consumption over time, I would say also that I don’t drink wine nearly as fast as I drink beer - I sip it. However, in the interests of science, maybe tomorrow night I will make up some white wine spritzers in 500 ml glasses to emulate the same alcohol proportion and volume of beer I’d normally drink, to see if the subjective effect makes me more or less twatted. I shall report back.

The quest for knowledge and the advancement of science marches (or staggers) on!!!

Another thread topic on this board that has come up in my head!

As somebody who has drank all types of alcohol.

I can say that wine gives me a “warm feeling” on my face vs. hard liquor and beer.

I don’t really drink hard liquor much.

I mainly drink beer.

Wine every so often. Sometimes during the winter, because of the “warm feeling” it gives me.

I like to drink with my food, and you can’t do it with hard liquor.

Alcohol is a mood changer as much as a mood enhancer.

If you are happy, sad, angry during the day, then, chances are you will probably be happy, sad, or angry when you are drunk.

Sometimes the opposite affect can happen when you are drunk from what happened during the day.

This is why I try and find stuff that makes me happy, or stuff that makes me laugh when I’m drunk.

Nobody likes being sad or destructive angry when they are drink. The only exception sometimes is when your angry, because you can be funny and sarcastic at the sametime.

Red wine also gives me a warm feeling on my face. Cider causes a really warm feeling all over my face and down across my chest, with accompanying skin flush and difficulty breathing. Thanks in advance to whoever advises me as to what is common to the two and causes that.

As to the OP, I have a subjective response to a glass of good Scotch (Speyside malts, I’m not that adventurous) that is different than the subjective response to a similar amount of alcohol consumed as beer, wine, or other liquors. I’m able to enjoy the difference while also assuming it’s confirmation bias at work and there’s nothing magical (apart from the obvious) about the chemistry of the Macallan 18 year old.

It’s also self-selecting… if you’re feeling in a bad mood you’re unlikely to spend an evening sipping rose wine, you’ll head for the tequila.

But on a pleasant summer evening in the garden you probably won’t start downing flaming smabuca like there’s no tomorrow.

(Another thread with some recent views: Why do people claim certain alcoholic drinks will make you more "crazy" than others? - In My Humble Opinion - Straight Dope Message Board)

No. What kinds of teenagers are telling you this?

Here’s a study on binge drinking that went awry.

My experience:
too much beer=sleepy
too much wine=silly
too much hard stuff=unpredictable, but anywhere from numb stumbling to black depressive rage.

Reporting back.

Observations:

1. I only managed to drink two.
  2. I felt more sober than with the beer, probably because I was drinking it so slowly.

Findings:

1. White wine spritzer tastes like horse piss smells.
  2. 500 ml of white wine spritzer is frankly too much. 1 litre is appalling.
  3. I am a bad test subject and I miss my beer.

Conclusion:

The experiment is completely inconclusive.

IME: at the very least, ingesting any drug at varying rates given a constant total amount has a significant effect on the overall experience.

Smoking two joints now vs. one now and another in an hour results in two different “highs”
Two hits of LSD now and another in 4 hours is quite different from 3 all at once.
12 beers drunk steadily over 4 hours is different than beer bonging a 6 pack and 6 shots of vodka.

Good sir, that’s because you’ve done it all wrong. You must retry, and make sure I participate in order to ensure it’s being done correctly. All on your tab, of course.

I get different kinds of drunk when drinking different alcoholic beverages. I don’t think it’s something magical in the alcohol though, it’s most likely the situation and surroundings I drink the drinks in.

Beer makes me happy and slightly drunk because I’m usually drinking a few with my friends.
Whiskey gets me really drunk because I’m usually drinking too much of it.
Vodka doesn’t get me drunk because I’m usually drinking it with family (and that’s no fun).

You get the idea.

My dear you are most welcome here in the UK, and should you make the trip I would happily buy you a bottle of Value Table Plonk for £2.99 and lots of soda water for roughly double that, and together we can see how drunk we might get. For science.