Are there submerged towns under lakes created by dam building?

Kentucky Lake is beautiful. That’s where I got my eye fish-hooked.

My ex told me about the flooded towns. I wonder if people go under and scope it out…

Which we fishermen quickly changed to Lake Buryass. For no reason. :wink:

The song “Perfect World” by the Indigo Girls is about going for a swim in a reservoir that has a cemetery submerged under it.

Don’t forget all the ancient villages of the Anasazi, Fremont, Paiute, Navajo, Ute, Havasupai, all the Pueblo people, etc. buried under the San Juan, Rio Grande, Colorado and soon to be Animas river water projects. Under any reclamation project in the Southwest one can find ruins. But before you grab your scuba gear and go treasure hunting, remember that it is a federal offense to take any of those artifacts that haven’t already been destroyed by said federal water projects. Unless off course your gear includes a Phd and a funny hat.

The tiles you mention in Old Eddyville near Lake Z Barkley did not belong to a Walgreens. They be,ongedvto the town bank. There was no Walgreens in or near Eddyville.

Actually, Kentucky Lake was impounded twenty years before Lake Barkley in Western Kentucky.

From How the States Got Their Shapes by Mark Stein: In 1866, the north boundary of Arizona extended west, running directly into the California border. In 1867, it was cut short at the Colorado River, partly to give the young state of Nevada (admitted as a state in 1864) access to the town of Callville on the river. (Arizona was still a territory at the time, becoming a state in 1912).

At the time, the Colorado River could be navigated between the Gulf of California and Callville.

That lasted until Hoover Dam was constructed in 1936. Callville is now underneath Lake Mead.

I should check Wikipedia first, it seems. It turns out that by 1869, it was realized that steamboats could not in fact make it all the way to Callville, and the town was abandoned by June of that year.