Are Unions controlled by organized crime? Does that hamper their ability to affect politics in the US?

Okay.

Cite is nineteen years old, and is talking about the influence of organized crime on labor unions in the previous century.

Cite is from 1977.

Literally the same cite as the first one you posted.

Conclusion: Mighty_Mouse was correct. Those are some seriously garbage cites.

You seem to have looked up into the night sky and seen that there are a couple of bears, a pair of twins, an archer, a bull, and a few other creatures up there.

You are flabbergasted that when we look up there all we see are a random arrangement of stars.

In other words you are showing us something that doesn’t support your conclusion, unless you assume the conclusion.

The only unions I have a great deal of experience with are teachers’ unions. I’ve seen no evidence they have any connection with organized crime.

Then you agree that the answer to your question is “no”. You’ve learned that and more because many people were polite enough to give a reason supporting that answer.

In fact, you were given that answer in the other thread.

@Acsenray also thoughtfully expanded on that post here in post #6, whose completeness made the rest of the thread redundant.

As for the lobbying aspects, OpenSecrets reports that total federal lobbying ran about $3.8 billion in 2021. Of that $66 million was from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. No question that’s a significant sum of money, but it’s less that 2% of the total. You need to look at the overall split in lobbying between business and other groups. Business is a proton to labor’s electron. Why? They have all the money. The mob at its very biggest in history controlled less money than any individual major bank or corporation. Their power has always been muscle. The muscle economy is long gone.

Yep. I have noticed that for some folks, something that was in the late 70s was just a few years back in their minds, but that is 45 years ago. Since then, Scorsese has directed like 4 movies showing the (rise and) fall of the mafia :slight_smile:

No one controls everything, few control anything. The markets matter more than the media, the magnates, the mob, the ministers, the mayors and their municipalities, the music, the materialistic, the majors, the medics, the magistrates, the military, the munificent, the mean, the miserly, the moderates, the militiamen, the manufacturers, the modernizers, the meddlesome, the Machiavellis, the malfunctioning, the misunderstood, the monitors, the monarchs, the mystics, the mistaken and most of their milieu.

When we wake up from our national nightmare will we be muttering, “Anti-M, Anti-M…”?

An amazing application of absolutely awesome amounts of abjectly aggravating alliteration.

I’m the president of my local educators’ union, and while I’ve been president we’ve grown more than any other local in my state. My sole compensation for this is invitations to ever more meetings after-hours; in fact, I’m online right now at 6:55 pm because at 7 pm I’ve got a Zoom call I’m getting on with other educators across the nation to talk about a community schools initiative. This isn’t “piling on,” this is “sick of this calumny.”

Can you at least admit that the first word in your title should have been “were,” because you don’t have any PRESENT cites whatsoever that significant organized crime presence exists in unions? Let’s start with that, with recognizing that in this millennium there has been vanishingly little interaction between organized crime and unions, that the Venn diagram of tech sector, organized crime, and unions has its biggest crossover between the first two.

Once we recognize that this is almost 100% a solved problem, we can got to a modified version of the second part: do anti-union forces, including business owners, spread scurrilous rumors about unions and organized crime in order to keep workers from improving their pay and working conditions? That’d be a much more interesting question to answer.

Your sole good cite, from OCGS, has this illuminating snippet:

Note: FCA is Chrysler. Here are more details on this case.

The one example from the past five years that the government agency responsible for fighting organized crime in unions brings up is control of a union by a multinational corporation.

The 21st-century organized crime isn’t the Mafia, it’s giant corporations.

Imagine if every entity that had associations with multinational corporations were barred from participating in electoral politics.

You’re such a tease.

[ Batting my eyelashes ]

Get a room, you two!

Well that just doesn’t add up. Obviously the real payments are under the table.

(this is sarcasm)

This word needs to be highlighted. It’s part of the all-out war against unions I mentioned above.

Jealous

There’s probably no major media operation that loathes unions more than the Wall St. Journal (at least, its editorial board) and even they don’t accuse modern unions of being “controlled by organized crime”.

They confine themselves to seeing near-universal union corruption, fraud and undue political influence. The improper influence allegation would seem to contradict the idea of organized crime control, unless legislative bodies are also in massive thrall to criminal entities. :exploding_head:

I thought you were joking at first, but the way you’re holding that violin case close to your body makes me think you might be mobbed up.

In fact I have two violin cases. And only one of them has a violin in it.