But I live in an area where without cable I can’t get a TV picture, nor do I have decent radio reception. I also have to step outside if I want to use my cellphone (yeah, that’s fun to do in the winter). Said cellphone radio ain’t gonna do crap for me. Not to mention, were I interested in sports and a game was unavailable in my local market, I can get on the internet and listen to/watch the game through a variety of sources. With a cellphone radio, I’m probably not going to have that option. I listen to KRCW’s live stream lots of time, since my local NPR station’s net feed tends to conk out on me a lot.
Also, how many people actually use their cellphone for anything other than just a phone? I’d wager that 99% of folks who have a phone (including ones with the high dollar models) don’t use it for more than just a phone. Next there’s the question of battery life. The eagerly anticipated, massively expensive iPhone is going to have a standby battery life of 16 hours and a talk time of five hours. No telling what it’s actually life will be for anyone who uses it to do things like surf the web, etc. Sticking in a radio tuner (Is it going to be an HD FM tuner? Cause those are like $400 right now, which means the iPhone has just doubled in price.) is going to suck juice out of those puppies.
What makes you think that the radio service is going to be free and not have any commercials? If I want to use my cellphone, as well, a phone, I have to pay for that. If I want to send text messages, I have to pay for that, if I want to surf the web using my phone, I have to pay for that as well. Why should I expect to be getting my radio service, on my cellphone for free, when I can’t get anything else for my phone free? Nor, can I picture it not having commercials of some kind. There’s hardly any place on the planet you can go these days and not be exposed to ads. Why should cellphones be any different?