Are we truly just slaves to our DNA?

TVAA
Can you justify that claim?

Of course not. That’s pretty much part and parcel of relativism. As we just spent about 9 pages discussing to at least my dismay. That you continue to ask me is perplexing.

We might have evolved in such a way so that our more complex behaviors weren’t directly the result of biological programming.

They aren’t. They are the result of at least interaction with the environment, an environment which is not encoded in DNA.

BJMoose

It is not a matter of specific numbers. It is a matter of what is necessary in terms of information. The environment around us definitely determines some of our characteristics. The environment is not encoded in DNA. That alone should be enough. However, you’re right. I cannot prove that the works of Stephen King and the day he will die could not be gathered from his DNA alone. I must concede that point. In fact, I must admit I never knew it was seriously up for consideration. I only brought it up because I was trying different ways to interpret the phrase, “I am a slave to my DNA.” None of which seem to make any sense.

I don’t understand the speculation about how I view life. Its meaning or lack thereof is not a matter of this debate.

according to richard dawkins DNA does have an agenda, to replicate itself. And thats basically it.

That doesn’t make alot of sense because why would sexes develop if the main goal was just meaningless replication? sexual replication managed to compensate for DNA flaws. If the sole goal is replication then why did DNA intermingling via sexuality to compensate for genetic flaws develop?

Everytime you look at a girl with some interest… whenever you eat something vorasciously and have some wild sex. Your basically just following instincts. Still all animals due this to a point except some wierd humans…

More intelectual pursuits are naturally shaped by our primitive views… but overall I think we can decide the rest that doesnt involve competition, food or sex.