Are You A Good Driver?

I don’t have a car and hardly ever drive (my license is expired now, oops, I have to get it renewed) so I’m pretty nervous when I do drive. Back when I had a car and drove regularly, I think I would have said I’m average, but now I’d below average. Maybe one day I’ll have a car again and be more practiced.

I’m like the girl with the curl on her forehead.

I’ve been driving for over 25 years, and have never got a moving violation – which is not to say I’m a Goody Two Shoes, but I drive according to what the road will bear, I try not to stick out like a sore thumb in traffic, I stay right when not overtaking, and try to remain aware of vehicles in all positions around me so I can react to anything they do (and in Israel, that’s important! :eek: :p) – and most importantly, I try not to surprise anybody else.

All in all, I’d say I’m a very good driver.

I’m 42. Been driving since I was 16.

Have never been in a wreck. (Knock on wood.)

Have received a few speeding tickets. But have never been in a wreck.

I put average. I’ve been driving since I was 16 (I’m 30), but I didn’t drive much in college or grad school. I’ve never been in an accident when I was driving, never gotten a speeding ticket, and commute to work every day in heavy traffic. I use turn signals and (mostly) drive defensively.

I think I’ve become a pretty good driver, but at some cost.

Kind of amazing that I lived through my teenage years, as I really wasn’t ready to be driving on my own. I’ve always had good hand-eye skills, but spent too much time worrying about navigating when I was younger because of a poor sense of direction. Had a couple of wrecks that weren’t exactly my fault, but might have been avoided by a better driver through better awareness.

Oddly, learning to fly made me a much better driver. It addressed my sense of direction, and made me seek a higher standard in all skills.

I still drive fast sometimes, but would put my awareness up against anybody. A few months ago I avoided nearly certain death from an out of control SUV, and I credit that to the awareness and judgment that I got from flying airplanes.

Been driving since I was 15 (turning 24) and have had no close calls, accidents, or traffic infractions.

My first year of driving was done so on a tractor, and this includes nearly all of the attachments, such as 48’ gooseneck trailers and 5 point hay rakes. Most of this driving was done either on the ranch or a 15 mile radius around it-- back in the boonies, all dirt roads and farmland.

Had I not had that good foundation for my “road” driving, I doubt I’d be as good of a driver as I am. At this point I can drive practically anything in any road conditions, and am completely comfortable in doing so.

Yea, but you veered across 3 lanes and cut me off last week and I hit a phone pole.

raindog
Dayton, Ohio

Oh, I don’t think they have to be lying. It’s all about the warped way [almost all] people perceive themselves. Totally innocent, but fascinating nonetheless.

I think my biggest problem with driving is confidence. I feel like the careless jerks are better than I am sometimes, just by nature of them being careless.

Do you get over into the right lane? If so, you’re not just better than Ohio’s average. You are unique.

I’m an excellent drive, and not in the Rainman sense. I haven’t had a ticket or been in an accident (or caused one) in 45 years. I drive defensively, don’t use a cell phone or allow myself to be distracted while driving. My basic rule is: assume that everyone else on the road is either drunk or crazy. It’s served me well.

Me too.

One of the best things my folks did for me was to teach me how to drive at an early age. I also had a lot of experience on tractors/trucks and driving country roads way before I had my license. That doesn’t happen too much anymore.

I learned the road in old dump trucks, pick ups and vans with 3 on the tree. And mini-bikes and dirt bikes. Our mobile home park had a split axle 10 speed home hauler that was fun to drive.

I’ve been driving (with a license) for 33 years. The usually 12-15 g miles a year. For the past 17 years I have driven over the continental divide in some of the worst weather imaginable every day.

I have never been in an accident. Never caused one and have never been hit. Not getting hit is a big part of defensive driving. A lot of people don’t understand that. “It was their fault” does not make you a good driver.

It’s interesting. I’m not a passanger very often, and luckily most of the people I ride with are good drivers.

The bad ones stand out like a hammer to the thumb though. The only reason that they are still alive is that there are good drivers out there.

My neighbor. She is such a bad, bad driver. We went out to dinner and she said that she would drive since everyone else might have a beer. Oh. My. GOD. This person STOPPED in a snowtorm in the MIDDLE of a two lane highway to clear her windshield. I mean the middle of the road. Blocked the entire road.

[sub]where gonna die where gonna die soon. Lets go. We need to get off the road to clean the windshield. We are gonna die. [/sub]

Never again.

I’ve had no accidents, no speeding tickets or moving violations in the last twenty years (except for hitting a deer, but I hit that straight on instead of attempted to swerve). I try to be a conscientious driver and make sure that I don’t do things like not allow a merge or squat in the left lane.

That said, I need to give more attention to the road and not my iPod. I also have a horrible blind spot in my car that I sometimes forget about, the rear view mirror is positioned at eye level which means that anything on the other side is not seen (ie, a car at a 4 way stop to my right sometimes won’t be seen).

Been driving since I passed my test, first time :smiley: at aged 18, I’m now almost 68

Had 2 accidents both of which were the other drivers fault as they rear ended me.

Never had a ticket, not even a parking one.

I’m so fucking good it frightens me

I like to think I’m better than average but everyone thinks that so I’m probably just average, which was my vote. I have never hit anything until a few months ago when I clipped a parked car’s side mirror with my side mirror when passing (been driving for almost 7 years). I was so annoyed as it was totally avoidable. At least their mirror wasn’t damaged. I stick within 5 miles of the speed limit, use turn signals, move over if someone’s overtaking me in the same lane, don’t assume someone is going to turn based on a turn signal, and in general try to drive as predictably as possible. I know there have been a few occasions where I’ve made mistakes while driving that could’ve led to an accident but didn’t. My weakness is sometimes doubting if I can pull out in traffic, especially heavy traffic that is going fast as my car doesn’t accelerate quickly at all. I also need to practice parallel parking. I never learned as it wasn’t required in the state I got my license in. I don’t drive much anymore since I take public transportation to work.

All Doper drivers are better than average; I didn’t even have to view the poll results to know that.*

Just like all Doper parents are wonderful and responsible, all Doper smokers are non-littering and considerate towards non-smokers etc. etc.

*the few who said otherwise are just masochists looking for attention. They really think they’re great drivers.

Let’s see…

Went almost 15 years between tickets-only have had 2 in 25 years (those from a speedtrap happy locale near where I live-don’t speed there anymore). Only accidents have been minor fender benders. Because I have a tendency to be absent-minded, I rachet up my focus a great deal on the road (2 hands always on the wheel, practice good situational awareness, no cell phone usage), but I do on rare occasions do a bonehead move (fate always saves me tho). No tailgating, no excessive speeding, tho I do punch it on on-ramps. My experience with racing sims has definitely helped me, esp. with the sit. aware. part.

Of course, we know that 90% of all drivers about average. I have been driving for 55 years and never been in an accident. I have had three tickerts (stop sign, no left turn (at 2 AM, no traffic) and passing on the right). I certainly could have been in accidents if I didn’t tdrive defensively. I am always amazed how many drivers seem not to look ahead. Like the clowns who drive right up to a red light and then screech to a halt. Or the guy behind me who is blowing his horm because I am not drifting towards that light. Even when I run yellows it is defensive because the idiot behind me is going to rear end me if I don’t.

When you’re bad, you’re BETTER???

I’m an average driver, but I think the average driver isn’t all that good.

I consider myself a below-average driver because I don’t drive much. When I do drive I’m rather cautious, and tend to delay more than a “good” driver would.