Are you a pedophile? Better get to Arkansas before they change the law!

JRDelirious, thank you for a very informative post. I did not know that. It now occurs to me that I don’t know what sort of arrangement my own state legislature has, even. I just always assumed it was a full-time job if you became a Senator.

Off to learn more!

When come back, tell us.

Well, I haven’t found an easy answer like I hoped - I was hoping for a Kid’s Guide to Illinois Legislature! or something, but from checking out the schedules and House Rules (skimming), it seems that they meet more or less year round with some days set aside for something called “Perfunctory Sessions”, some “Special Sessions” and others just “Sessions”, and anywhere from 1 to 7 days a week. Also, the Speaker is the one to make any changes in the schedule as the need arises.

The only question I’ve got is, after I marry her, will she still be my sister?

I doubt that a pedophile seeks a long term relationship. She will begin to lose her looks in three years or so after all. He surely doesn’t seek a legal relationship that would demand he pay support when someone younger and more attractive comes along.
Where ya’ll from, Projammer?

What makes this different than any other marriage?

Well obviously I am assuming that both the child and the parents consent.

Question still stands. What happens to my ‘marriage’ once the law is corrected?

With respect to JRDelirious, the first time someone tries it, the Attorney General will jump on it like Ahab on the White Whale and the Supreme Court will declare the bill unconstitutional or whatever their decisions do to such things.

IANAL, but it’s not automatic that your “gains” from the law as it was before amendment are taken from you. I would suppose the legislature would have to write something into the new law to deal with that, otherwise the marriages would stand.

Oh man, I’m thinking I gotto go look for the NAMBLA websute, and see how they’re dealing with this. Probably claiming credit for a great victory.

When this law gets amended, do you think any existing marriages will be grandfathered in?

Right, when any civil statute’s effect is retroactive, you have to to explicitly state so as well as explain how the events in the in-between will be handled and why is it in the public interest to have that retroactive effect.

Texarkana.

Legal or not, I’m sure that anyone trying to avail themselves of this screwup will have child protective services all up in their business before they’ve even picked out bridesmaid dresses. Or whatever you do first when planning a wedding.

Think of it as a blessing in disguise…if this hadn’t come up, the bill outlawing Evolution was next on the docket; now we have at least until 2009 to work on that one…