Are you an expert at anything?

posting on messige bo

If you have a broken piece of electrical plant, and your line is standing still - you’d want me. Somehow I know where to start looking - others will spend two days getting to my start point -, and you’d also want me to rework the line so it does not go down in the same way in future.

Your bicycle isn’t working how you want ? Me again - even if the parts are non-standard and thirty years old. I can get them or rework parts to fit- just don’t ask me to build wheels though.

You have a workforce that does not want to work? Yup, that’s me - I’ll ‘encourage’ them. If they don’t have the skills, I’m the person you might want to train them to accredited levels - knowing where to get the course funding, the correct course specification and the correct examining body is something of a maze.

You are being harassed by a bully, or you are being exploited at work - you’ll prolly want to join the union and call on me.

If you want to measure and report on the ecological quality of wet nature, I’m your go to girl.

Hiking and skiing in the White Mountains of NH. I’m not the fastest hiker nor the best skier by any measure, but I’ve been most everywhere I am able to recall/advise based on that.

I’m an expert at having an opinion about shit.

Replying

to

Do you ever do these simultaneously, to entertain the patient during the procedure?
I would say I am as good as anyone at hand-piecing quilts. Of course it’s pretty straightforward and most people don’t do it, but there you are.

I’m an expert at the kind of art I do, only because I don’t think anyone else is doing it. And I’ve become and expert from a whole lot of trial and error.

I’m an expert on RPGLE coding, but that is about it. I am good at dozens of things but I have always liked to be a generalist overall.

That would be cataloging books. :slight_smile: I index books, i.e. I create the index that you find at the back when you are trying to figure out what page the discussion of flesh-eating beetles is on. Or whatever.

I have two careers running side-by-side, both of which I am considered expert in.

My day job is as a database administrator.

My evening job is as a Taekwondo instructor, where I hold the title of Master.

I’d like to consider myself an expert in 90s pop culture. But I’m probably only a very knowlagable party. As my father says, I have Jeopardy knowledge, but nothing useful.

So you’re better than 25 billion other people at this task? :slight_smile:

Remember:

An “Ex” is a has been, and a “spurt” is a drip under pressure.

It’s not the capacity, brother, it’s the flow.

…it’s not the size, but how you use it?

We’re all ex spurts.

Cum again?

I am recognized as an expert in several related plant genera, and am a well known contributor to scientific literature in those areas. As a hobby I grow exotic plants from seed and have developed methods of cultivation that are now accepted standards in the field.

Also, some of the teaching labs that I developed over the years are used for several courses in western US schools.

Nope. I’m a jack of all trades. I do many things well, but I would consider myself to be expert at basically none of them. Then again, as others have already said, “expert” is a sliding scale. I suffer from both perfectionism and a good ability to judge the quality of other people’s work and skills.

I’ve been training in one martial art or another since I was in my teens, and I’m officially qualified to teach a martial art that only a handful of people in the world know, but I think I suck compared to many of the people in the martial arts community.

I coach an after-school fitness program, but know that there are dozens — maybe hundreds of important things — related to fitness that I don’t know yet.

I do tech support for my family, have set up networks, routers, home servers, and a NAS, but know I’m a hopeless neophyte compared to many people.

I have published articles in newspapers and a couple of magazines, but have never made any significant money from writing.

I’ve been teaching as my main job for years, and was the most-requested teacher at the school when I still did private lessons on the side, but think I’m actually not all that great, which is why I still constantly try to improve.

I’ve built furniture (that doesn’t fall down) with only non-powered hand tools, but would never try to sell anything I made or teach someone how to do it.

I’ve made things out of leather that look good enough for people to ask me to make one for them, but considering the time I had to put into it to get it done, I know I’d be losing money unless I charged ridiculous rates, which I’m not good enough to justify (and which also means I’m not an expert because I’m not efficient enough to do it quickly and well).

That’s just a partial list. So, like I said, I can do pretty well at anything I’ve tried my hand at, but I lack the time to pursue many of them to anything resembling mastery. Aside from martial arts and, to some extent, fitness, which have been part of my life for so long that they’re essential activities, the other things are just skills I picked up to do a project, and was interested in enough to study pretty extensively for a while, but would have to have no need for sleep or be independently wealthy to be able to do them truly well.

I’ve got a few letters after my name from a professional certification. When I got it, there were only about 3000 of us in the USA (now about 5-6000)