Are You Being Served?: Accurate Representation of a British Workplace?

The store where Jeremy Lloyd had worked and which is therefore usually taken to be the model was actually the old Simpsons of Piccadilly, on the site of Thomas Huxley’s geology museum and now the big Waterstone’s.

Wow, thanks for the responses. Just to clarify, I almost inevitably ask how my friend’s day was as reciprocal, but between close friends the “thanks” is just a little much. It’s not to say other words wouldn’t be used so that it’s not just a “fine.” It might go something like “Eh, fine, y’know.” Or more often than “fine,” “Oh, not bad.” The only people I’d respond “____, thanks,” to are acquaintances or if my boss called me or something.

Same with the salt example, although the “please” would be slightly less out of place than the “thanks” in the phone pleasantries. I’d say “could you pass the salt,” or “could I have the salt.” The politeness level has already been raised enough by the “could you,” making the please extraneous. Again, this would be at the table of a good friend, or if I were sitting at home or in a restaurant with a close friend. More casual friends would get the “please.”

Sorry, I guess this was more of a hijack than I expected, although really interesting. I think I’ll start a thread when I get a chance and see what other countries and other Americans do.

I always like AYBS-great comedy!
Take “captain” Peacock-pompous ass, who lives in fear of being exposed 9he wasn’t an officer in the army-just a private. And Mrs Slocombe-with here weird hair colors! But the best one was “young” Mr. Grace-looked like 95-but always surrounded by sexy yound women.

The British supermarket Waitrose is distrinctive because all staff are referred to as “Miss or Mr”.

In most shops when there’s a tannoy announcement it will be something like “Could Jim come to aisle 3”, in Waitrose it’d be “Could Mr Johnson come to aisle 3”.

Could that be because all employees of Waitrose and John Lewis are effectively partners in the company? This is because there are no shareholders and all employees receive a cut of the profits.

There was a department store rather like Grace Brothers in a nearby town here. By the 1980s it was taken over by the John Lewis Partnership and became just another of their chain (like many department stores, if they survived at all)

Complete hijack alert:

I was taught that an abbreviation whose last letter matches the letter the complete word would have does not require a full stop (period), and in the opposite case it does.

For example:
Doctor = Dr
Drive (as in street names) = Dr.

Street = St
Stone (as in weight) = St.

Therefore, Mister, Mistress, and Miss should be: Mr, Mrs, and Miss; all with no full stops.

I expect it’s not a hard and fast rule, with regional variants and some stupid mnemonic device or whatever, but there ya go.

I am always confused when I see a headline along the lines of “DR Congo - More Problems” and wonder who this Doctor Congo is. Of course the paper is actually referring to the “Democratic Republic of Congo”. To avoid confusion they should start using the French name “République démocratique du Congo” or RD Congo for short.

In America, we use periods with all these abbreviations. We don’t have a rule about the last letter or anything like it.

Why not “D. R. Congo”? See, periods *are *useful for abbreviations. Why switch to French when there is a simple English solution?

He’s “Young” Mr. Grace because he was the younger Grace brother. Also because the contrast between the descriptor and his actual age is funny, of course.

In the first episode of AYBS Mr Lucas, on his first day at Grace Bros., asked “That’s Young Mr Grace?” The reply was “Yes. Old Mr Grace doesn’t get out much now.”

Absolutely priceless.

That was actually a gag from either the first or second episode. When the show premiered, it was made clear that Mr. Lucas was a brand-new hire and hadn’t yet met everyone or learned the ins and outs of working at Grace Brothers. Toward the end of the episode, young Mr. Grace appears in the department, and everyone refers to him as such. I think Captain Peacock called to everyone, “It’s young Mr. Grace! Places, everyone!” And then the doddering old man enters.

Mr. Lucas gapes. “That’s young Mr. Grace?”

Mr. Grainger turns to him and says quietly, “Old Mr. Grace doesn’t get about much.”

Anyway, the formality helped in a later episode, when Mr. Grace ordered the employees to adopt more American-like practices, acting more casual and familiar. Only then do we learn their first names, some of which are truly unexpected and bizarre. The biggest laugh was for “Dick” Lucas, but there was also “Cuthbert” Rumbold and “Wilberforce Clayborne” Humphries.

Hehe! I like Mr. Lucas much more than that young simp they replaced him with later.

Americans in general do say “please” a lot less than the English and it does indeed sound rude to English people (just ask my mum). The lack of “please” when ordering in restaurants, delis etc. is also jarring. And don’t get me started on “I’ll have a…”, “Get me a…” and, worst of all, “I need a…”.

:eek: I don’t remember it being that explicit!

The employees in the fictional Duke & Duke from Trading Places were also Mr. This and Mr. That, for what it’s worth.

I disagree slightly - in publications that use that style (such as the Irish Times) “street” is abbreviated as “St.” while “Saint” is abbreviated as “St”.

The idea, I suppose, is that the “t” in “St.” is the second, rather than the last, letter of the word “street”.

That’s true - I was astonished a few months ago when I was ordering a tea from a refreshment stand and the guy behind me started ordering in an American accent “Latte and a water”. I nearly turned around and said “would it kill you to say please?”.

Correct. This is why it is Mr, Mrs and Dr in the UK, versus Mr., Mrs. and Dr. in the US.

I once did say “no you don’t” when a woman in front of me declared to the server that she “needed” a particular sandwich. She ignored me.