Arizona abortion ban accomplished

Not yet. It still has to pass the AZ Senate and be signed by the Governor. But it looks promising.

You’re right-I got too optimistic.

Worth noting that 28 Arizona House Republicans still opposed repealing the 1864 ban.

The 15-week ban that passed in 2022 is still in place, though.

It’ll take two out of 16 Republican state senators switching votes to pass the Senate.

I have been watching this closely and nobody seems to be backing down.

At least women can still wear shorts in public and don’t usually get victim blamed if they get raped.

Well gosh, they’re just showing that they’re still the party of Lincoln.

But, can women wear pants in Tucson?

It’s right there in the Bible! ‘Ye females shall only wear frilly dresses and such!’ Deuteronomy twenty something.

~Max

It’s from the Book of Arpaio. That and giving green bologna to sinners.

The State Senate passed it and the governor will sign it. Now they are asking the court to delay the 1864 ban until this law can go into effect 90 days after the legislative session ends.

Well, that answers a question, then — Democrats will not torpedo their own legislation just to keep a hot-button issue alive through a later election — unlike Republicans, who did just that a couple months ago with the border-control bill.

Because Democrats know that Republicans can’t be trusted to give another bite of the apple later. It may well be now or never.

True – plus, you know, just doing the right thing. :slight_smile: (I don’t mean to imply that Democrats are infallible).

Democrats figure that if you’re gonna call yourself progressive, you gotta recognize that this bill, in comparison to the status quo, is progress.

Plus, the voters will get a chance to overturn it completely this fall when the Arizona Right to Abortion Initiative hits the ballot - the supporters of the measure claim to have enough signatures already to make the ballot, and there’s still two months to go to collect more.