Asian electorate drifts to the right

I take it you’re talking about the Republican party, here. I mean, it’s like you’re directly quoting the New York Times in that highlighted bit…

Or ProPublica (with the Texas Tribune):

No it wasn’t. People on this board frequently refer to hispanics and jews in the race context. It is irrelevant to the debate that they are an ethnicity rather than a race. I can’t believe you are choosing to die on this ridiculous hill.

I don’t think I ever claimed that hispanics don’t encounter discrimination.
The notion i am arguing against is the notion that asians should atone to hispanics because hispanics are discriminated and oppressed so much more than asians.

Do you have any evidence to support this idea?

WTF?
I say that a significant portion of blacks that benefit from aa are not the descendants of slaves.
You say I present no evidence.
So I present evidence.
Now you say my evidence isn’t comprehensive?
That is nuts.

No, I think most of the college freshmen who are not at the top 2 UC schools due to prop 209 are white, followed by hispanics, followed by blacks, only a portion of whom are the descendants of slaves.

Your argument is very flawed. Income /= level of discrimination. If it did you would have to conclude that whites have suffered more discrimination than asians and jews in this country. I don’t think you would support such a silly notion but I could be wrong.

I don’t know. Probably the same thing that is deficient in white culture that accounts for their lower income?

Wait, what data have you provided that hispanics have suffered more discrimination than asians? So far I think all you’ve provided is evidence that they have lower income than asians. And as i explained above, if income was evidence of discrimination, then whites suffer greater discrimination than asians in this country. You are making a silly argument.

No. But they are not and that is in part due to 250 years of slavery and 100 years of segregation. Did hispanics suffer comparable discrimination?

You don’t understand the words you are using if you are using the term narrative in this sense. There is a difference between logical arguments and narrative. Narrative in the crt sense, does not rely on logic and rational thought.
Explain this special form of discrimination that affects asians in a way that hurts them i the workplace but actually helps them in academics?

First of all, justice does not require that asians be made better off.

Secondly, asians admission rates have dropped in large part because of crowding out by hispanics. If 1st generation hispanics are crowding out 2nd and 3rd generation asians, then good for them, it’s good for society and our country.

Third Filipinos are probably the second wealthiest group of asians in america. Their income is way higher than the national average. So based on your theory of income=discrimination, they have suffered less discrimination than whites, perhaps they should be atoning to whites.

Finally, the immediate aftermath of prop 209 was an increase in asians. It is only recently that we are seeing drops in asian admissions, once again due to crowding out by hispanics.

I don’t know how much impact affirmative action has outside of fairly competitive schools.
By many measures black women are the most educated group in america. They aren’t getting their degrees at top schools but they are not having problems getting access to college educations. Their problems are associated with getting equal work for equal pay. Even when you hold all things equal, including experience, industry, credentials, everything, black women get significantly paid less than their white male counterparts.

I thought all schools were subject to court challenges. I mean, how are they suing harvard?
Your article doesn’t mention affirmative action. I am not sure how much impact affirmative action is having at less competitive schools.

It’s not messaging. It’s not like the democrats have tricked us into thinking the republicans are racist. They should actually stop being racist.

I don’t think democrats reward poor performance. I think they are somewhat indifferent to performance. They chalk up differences in performance to racism, a lot of the rest of ti sort of follows from there. A society cannot thrive for very long if this attitude is adopted widely in making policy.

I’m pretty sure its the racism. It really bothers a lot of people.

Nope, that was you, now that you finally report to know the difference one can say now: what was the problem on acknowledging that before? In any case that peeve is over. Although one reason why that was pointed out is that it makes more complicated the attempt at interpreting the rates of discrimination Hispanics do have as an ethnicity.

What the fuck are you talking about? How and why is it relevant that I referred to hispanics as a race rather than ethnicity

So what? Are you saying that this difficulty you are having somehow means that they are actually suffering discrimination sufficient to warrant asian atonement?

I thought you said you were done? :wink:

It’s not comprehensive, in the slightest. Hell, I was able to read the article today and it says:

So not even is it not applicable to most African Americans in university in the US, you hid relevant facts. And it makes your original statement wrong as even just per selective schools:

That’s what you said. Your article says you are wrong. And that does not even apply to the vast majority of African-Americans who mostly attend state schools.

Tell me how else you may be able to weigh the different level of discrimination. It seems to me that Black, Hispanic, and Native American low levels of average and median income indicates that the discrimination faced by those groups had a massive impact. If you want to seriously try to argue that Asians have had just as much discrimination, I think the economic success Asians have had, coupled with how significant immigrants make up the Asian American population speak against that hypothesis. In addition:

Seems to make a lot of logical sense to me as Latinos have the lowest average and median income. Correlation does not always equal correlation, of course, but it seems to indicate that all of the discrimination that they have suffered, as partially indicated by @GIGObuster post indicates the discrimination has had a massive impact.

And considering that all Affirmative Action programs do acknowledge the historic discrimination suffered by Latin Americans, giving them a boost, I think the onus is on you to provide proof that Asians have suffered similar discrimination to Latinos. Where is your data to show these schools are doing Affirmative Action wrong?

I mean this is your chance to show all these schools that they have done it wrong and Latinos aren’t more systemically discriminated in this country than Asians!!

Yes, your narratives are not relying on any logic or rational thought. You have made ridiculous leaps in logic and irrational arguments on the basis of your agenda. Welcome to your made up issues with CRT!

Do you deny that Asians are higher represented in top universities than they are in management in the workplace?

So… you really can’t comprehend how Asians may do better in ways that help with college admissions, but don’t really apply in workplace promotions?! Do you really believe that college admissions determine workplace success (I mean they are looking at two very different things for one - though workplaces generally look at ‘scores’ for the first job and rapidly don’t care afterwards)? I discussed the Harvard lawsuit, talking about personal scores. Those personal scores aren’t usually utilized in universities aside from the Harvards of the world (Hell, most State Schools don’t even have personal interviews). But in the workplace, perceived personal deficiencies will prevent you from getting promoted any day.

The graph in the article says otherwise (with the exception of UCB, which stayed level, and UCSB which went down and up and down and up and now down).

You’re right. I shouldn’t let myself get caught up in a debate where logic and rational thought takes second seat to wokeness.

Interesting when you claim the Republicans are racist when much of what the left advocates, such as affirmative action, is explicitly racist. Advocating for a colorblind meritocracy is diametrically opposed to advocating for racist policies.

Oh, you shouldn’t put yourself down like that… but I’d actually say you were putting logic and rational thought in the backseat to your agenda.

Affirmative action doesn’t have to be racist any more than reparations for japanese internment was racist.

When vile anti-asian racism rose in the wake of the “china virus” as an asian, it was clear which side was stoking that racism and which side was objecting to it. Democrats will discriminate against asians to give preferences to others but they won’t stoke violence against us for political gain.

It’s one thing to have your children’s efforts and sacrifices at school diminished. It’s another thing to be afraid to send your kids to school. Democrats offer the first type of racism, republicans offer the second type. It’s an easy choice for many asians.

Aside from noting the geographic origin of the virus, which was indeed within China, what anti Asian sentiment was promoted by the Republicans?

Where is Kung?

And, no, that measure was not just about the stupidity of ignoring international protocols that were agreed about the naming of diseases back in 2015 are being willfully ignored by the Republicans. But it was also about the increase of violence against Asian Americans.