Asians turn out overwhelmningly for Clinton

Not any more so than any other theories that, as you say, are offered without cites in this thread. All the people in here saying that many Asians are racist must be prejudiced too, huh?

I don’t see how it’s racist or prejudiced to say that Obama may have some advantage with whites because many of them want to see a black man in a top position. I think it’s interesting that you’re offended by this idea. Would you be offended if I said he has some advantage among blacks because many of them want to see a black man in a top position? Would that be racist and prejudiced to hold such an opinion?

I believe many whites and many blacks want the same thing; they’re underlying emotion motivations are simply different. And I don’t think there’s anything especially sinister about these motivations.

Complete nonsense. Everyone acknowledges that individuals have individual reasons for liking their candidate. We’re not talking about why this Asian or that Asian is voting for Hillary instead of Obama, we’re talking about why ALMOST ALL OF THEM seem to vote for Hillary. Do you really think they feel better represented by a white woman than a black man?

I think white votes are being split so evenly partly because whites are under the most pressure to abandon sexism and racism. Not so much attention is being paid to whether Hispanics and Blacks and Asians and Persians and Greeks and Jews are racist, because there isn’t as much legal and social pressure on them to change. You can see the way that racism affects how people vote just by taking samples around the country. In most of the south (where white hatred of blacks is still alive and well), Obama is losing the white vote by a huge margin.

Here in my state (Nevada) and places like California, whites hate hispanics much more than they hate blacks. There isn’t even enough energy left over after hating the hispanics for whites to remember that they hate blacks. So, most of the whites around here don’t mind voting for a black guy if he’s charismatic enough. The hispanics and Asians around here hate blacks as much (or more) than whites in the south do.

Hah, too funny. Although I personally would rate Obama higher if he took credit for the scheme. I think Asians like Hillary because she embodies many of their values. Education, hard work, ambition, and using intelligence to produce wealth and fame for herself and her family.

Obama doesn’t fit the pattern as well… one of his favorite stories is about how he turned down a high paying law career in his struggling early years. Such a move could be considered idiotic by traditionalists.

And I hope this doesn’t sound too much like I’m stereotyping, but Asians tend to be quieter and don’t get swept up by political rallies. The same people who yell to the screen at movie theatres are the ones who are swayed into action by flowery speeches. (I’m joking about the last part)

Ouch - I know several people in the asian academic community where I live in CT, who would agree they like a quieter maybe more calculated lifestyle, but they also place emphasis on initiative and candor. They and their kids are campaigning with me for Obama BTW.

So Hillary has the advantage with whites, women, hispanics and asians. Do blacks count all the votes or something because I am baffled by Obama’s performance.

Yeah, thats kinda funny because the only Asians I know that support Hillary are the women but most politically conscious Asians around here seem to be female Asians. For some odd reason, Asian women seem a LOT more politically active than Asian men around here. I wonder if this is true elsewhere.

He’s a stronger candidate. Hillary gets more of the racist votes, and Obama gets more of the rational votes. Those nearly balance each other out, and all of the blacks turning out in unheard of record numbers tips the scales in Obama’s favor.

She doesn’t have an advantage with whites. There’s no way Obama would be doing as well as he is if it was just gung-ho blacks supporting him.

I’m a BO supporter and I think this is an oversimplistic statement.

Nor does she have an advantage with white men. Many exit polls have tended to show that Clinton wins with white women, but Obama wins with white men.

Clinton wins with white women over 45…the younger demographics are boding very well for Barack. Additionally, Obama endorsements from femminist powerhouses like Kate Michelman have only helped his campaign. If Hillary was going to build a rock solid streak, she’d be picking up pwoerhouse endorsements like Michelman. Alas she is not, Barack is. The shakeup, the terrible showing over the weekend, it’s not looking good for the former first lady.

I think this is hilarious - people are asking about the Clintons’ appeal to Asians and are studiously avoiding mentioning the events of the 1996 campaign.

Whatever one can say about it (and lots has been said, especially in the trials of Johnny Chung, John Huang, Maria Hsia and others) nobody with an ounce of sense would deny that this represented unprecedented outreach to the Asian community. Indeed, I’d say it was so unprecedented as to be criminal.

The Asian community took note of all of this, though, and haven’t forgotten it.

I was being halfway sarcastic in a Stephen Colbert sorta way (obviously, I was doing a terrific job of it too).

Of course, Hawaii overwhelmingly supports Obama.

Calls to mind a contemporary SNL sketch:

NORM MACDONALD AS BOB DOLE: Aww, who’m I kiddin’, I don’t have a Chinaman’s chance in this election . . . Hey, that’s it! Bob Dole, Chinaman! Hard-working, good in math!

Well, I just had lunch with some Thai friends (well, actually, one is ethnically Chinese, but grew up mostly in Thailand), and they are absolutely convinced that Obama is a Muslim. Could not be persuaded otherwise. “What about his professed Christianity?” Oh, he just “converted” for political purposes, they say.

The superintendant of my building (an Obama supporter) thought that Obama was a muslim as well. He pointed to his middle name (Hussein) as evidence.