Ask the Eskimo

We don’t have a clan system but the way my aunts know bloodlines from peoples last names I think it might be similar! Those ‘inser family surname’ are always like ‘x’.

I really loved being eskimo during my world travels. I fit in everywhere! I was mistaken for Hispabic in Cali. In Hawaii they thought I was a local, and when they found out I was Alaskan it was like I was insta-family! Even in Okinawa and Philippines people thought I was a half breed.

I don’t know if I should post in another forum about the eskimo physiology but I wad born in the Lower 48 and the doc who delivered me was kinda freaked out and researched us. Evidently he found the same research that we have a higher pain threshold.

I would have no idea how to compare pains…

At first I didn’t think there were many veterans but after getting out I was surprised by the number of veterans in my region. So I would guess that it is the same enlistment rate? Again…just a guess and in no way backed up by numbers anywhere.

What tricks do you have to warm up and stay warm? This from a Canadian who thinks he might still learn from you.
What do you do for fun up there?
What are the cultural and intergenerational changes/tensions going on? Are the older folks worried about the younger losing traditions?

A lot of people in the region work for our regional corporation. As previously posted NANA is considered a small business despite being world wide.

I have not been tild that I’m vitamin D deficient but I am allergic to hospitals and break out in ‘urra bitch’ syndrome when I get near one.

Very true. You get a bunch of people around a blanket, go 1-2-3 and PULL to launch someone and the launchee twirls limbs like a madperson to spin horizontally and find animals.

And very fun to be flung as a kid!

People in the region are amazingly tight knit and if you ask for Joe Joeson you might get lucky. Listening to my aunts track down people name (Joesons) and then determining who their parents are. In the past my aunts talk for hours tracking peoples heritage down FOR FUN! They even keep track, collectively, of who is adopted by and from who. Dating in the region can be fun…

I think this makes sense. If I were to leave Alaska why would I move to a place like Alaska? Why not just stay?

I moved because I have family in New Mexico. I love Alaska and don’t see myself leaving’ but the summer nights in New Mexico…well it’s hard to beat those.

I know that it’s a stupid cliche, but about all those words for snow, can you give us a couple of specific examples? I assume they are similar to the terms that skiers use.

I have no idea how that got it’s name but there are worse things to have named after you…look at cow pie.

I call snow are all variants of ‘this fuckin shit’!
Most political leanings are right. I think this stems from the fact that our tribes are corporations. However people often help others out. People give fish and meat to others when in need. There are often fundraisers to help families (travel costs for medical emergencies, housefires, etc).
I think it would depend on how the guy from Cali acted and what he wants to do. I believe the days of shooting at white people because they are white are over there will always be ‘that person’ in the area who can be an ass.

It’s been a while since I’ve been hunting in the region but common sense stuff. Layers! Always ALWAYS have an emergency pack with shelter, hi calorie food, heat source (teacup candles work well and are cheap).

I like driving stuff for fun. Cars/trucks, snowmachines, boats. My kids love camping and fishing so we do that when we can.

Do you have a lot of roads where you live?

Do eskimos embrace gays readily? What’s the cultural norms with gays in various eskimo tribes?

We have highways and subdivisions outside of cities are often paved. Other than that I love the Kenai Peninsula for riding. Lots of trails and dirt roads.

Again I can only speak for what I see and can’t comment for a while region. Growing up I heard that some people were ‘that way’ before I knew what it meant. I don’t remember any wide spread anti-gay remarks except from kids. I believe it was accepted and wasn’t a big deal. Again there are always people who will hate ‘x’ for whatever reason and eskimos are not immune.

There is a highway from Anchorage to Fairbanks, and there’s the pipeline road from Fairbanks to the Prudhoe Bay oil fields. But that road was built for commerce, not for access to towns in the Arctic. Southcentral Alaska has a pretty good network of roads, but they are virtually nonexistent in the Arctic, other than local roads in or around the villages, which don’t go very far. In the dead of winter, there may be an ice road from Barrow over to Barter Island and in some other places. Even the relatively centrally located village of Fort Yukon is only accessible by air or boat. For coastal towns, travel to another village is by boat, or possibly by snow machine in the winter, but it can be a very dangerous undertaking. In Kotzebue, where Boogly is from, there is a loop road called Ted Stevens Way, but I don’t remember how long it is.

My apologies if the question about roads was in regards to the region. In the NANA region roads are very limited and mainly just within city/village lumits. There are trails as most transportation is done hy 4 wheeled ATV’s on land. In the summer people can boat to other villages. In the winter dog sleds pulled by snowmachines are used.

Which means traveling in at least two’s, correct? As opposed to a lone hunter with a team.
You mention the fun of figuring out who you can date—what are the taboos?

Hunting, fishing and travelling is very much a group endeavour with friends and family. Hunting and fishing because hunting in packs is more effective and it shares the workload. Animals are on the larger side. Fishing in the summer is often done with nets which is also labor intensive.

In the winter there are quite a few snow machine and dog sled races for fun. Church gatherings are quite large socially; potlucks and such.

So I gather people are Christian?

I’m always fascinated by culture change. You say the language is “far from dead,” but the community mostly speaks English. Is the traditional religion the same, or is it completely gone? Do you know if that was recent or a long time ago?

Lots of natives are Russian Orthodox, and old cemeteries in Alaska have lots of orthodox crosses.

In my experience native people are Christians if they’re religious at all, but traditional beliefs tend to co-exist comfortably with Christianity. It’s harder to separate “this is what you do because this is our traditional way” from “this is what you do to avoid bad luck” from “this is what you do because if you don’t evil spirits will harm you”.