Ask the fairly average British bloke*

can’t help you with the London question as my advice would be to avoid the place entirely, I don’t like it at all.

and the accent thing? haven’t a clue, do you mean british accents, or international? Personally, for UK accents, I find the Newcastle accent quite attractive if spoken clearly by a woman., internationally, I’d have trouble choosing.

To which accents were you referring?

No, there are certain things I won’t put in my mouth, but hardly any of those things are considered food.

I’m always on the lookout for a new food experience.

What’s so endlessly entertaining about men dressed in womens clothes?

Yes, it’s wildly amusing in junior school perhaps, but we generally get over it. Brits seem to never tire of it.

What’s up with that?

And another thing;

While travelling in India (chock full of Brits) I stayed in a hotel and became friends with 11 different Brits. What fun they were, very amusing.
Thing was, no two of them had the same accent. Now I'm all for regional dilects, there are several distinct varieties in Canada or the US.
But, geez, it's one smallish island.
What's up with that?

And another thing;

These 11 Brits got to talking about there experiences at school. Basically torture and abuse by fellow students. The north Americans were shocked into stunned silence at the nature of these stories. They had been to a variety of schools, private, public, Oxford even. I was personally appalled by what I heard.

What's that about?

Supply and demand I suppose, plus the 'English ’ style of food has been swamped by a multitude of imported styles.

If you asked me to define authentic English food, I think I’d have trouble coming up with a list, even fish and chips (that’s deep fried battered cod and french fries, but not like American fries), which is considered typically English, is imported if you look far enough back in history.

Stangely, I was just thinking about this today (the idea of it being funny, not the idea of me dressing in women’s clothes); Juvenile slapstick humour is popular over here, it’s just funny, what can I say? (we have quite a diverse range of other comedy styles too, I think)

I mean no disrespect by this, but we have more history than youselves, so there’s been more time for the accents to diverge, I suspect that is at least part of the reason.

I heard that too, personally, I had no such problems during my own education, but I went to a regular state school, I have no idea about why it happens, other than that it’s been around a very long time, so there’s probably some sort of twisted sense of tradition in there somewhere.

Hmmm, opinions seem to vary as to whether or not the class system still exists, but it basically consists of:

Upper class: You have to be born into it, aristocrats and lords, stately homes, that sort of thing

Middle class: Professional people, executives, directors, will always own the property in which they live.

Working class: What it says.

The dividing lines have become very blurred and there are all kinds of oddities now, for example: the ‘working class man made good’ - basically self-made businessman who has made his own fortune and may have bought a stately home from some upper class family who could no longer afford to keep it up.

I have to add that the above is a vast oversimplification, so please don’t anybody get upset if I have painted the picture poorly.

Supply and demand I suppose, plus the 'English ’ style of food has been swamped by a multitude of imported styles.
The most popular dish in the uk is chicken tika massala, introduced by indian immigrants and now enjoyed by everyone

What’s more, it is a bastardised English interpretation of Indian cooking (It doesn’t feel right using the word Cuisine alongside anything other than French), as are most ‘curries’ in England.

BTW I’m skeptical about the veracity of this claim that curry is the most popular dish in Britain anyway; I know McD’s have used it in their advertising campaign and I’ve heard it bandied about a lot, but is it true? has someone done a survey? does this refer to restaurant food only (that I might believe), or home cooked meals too?

Ok, I’m going to attempt to ask this coherently, as it’s somewhat of a broad question. The topic: English “reserve”. Virtually everything I’ve ever read or seen of any quality (ie, EM Forster stories, CS Lewis, Brontes, etc, the higher quality shows from BBC, ‘The English Patient’, to name a few ), not to mention the people I’ve met from England, portray the British personality, as well as usual social discourse, as quite understated, reserved, low on “high emotional content”, if you follow me. [Granted some of the above sources portray a somewhat dated picture of social life, but I have the distinct impression it is still alive and well-- please correct me if I’m wrong.].

Compared to, say, (1) American movies and such which often must have a sappy, teary, hit-you-over-the-head with gushing emotional scene, or (2) me, who is very affectionate with my children, brothers, sisters, spouse, and parents-- the point is I simply don’t see the effusiveness present in the British near as much as I do elsewhere. What I mean is, I’ve certainly seen heart-rending situations involoving British movie characters, but the sadness is often expressed a silent, resolute suffering, with very few tears.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I adore that particular character trait, and think that there is a limit to being overly-emotive. That being said, questions:

1. Do you agree with this assessment of the Brits in general?
  2. Do Brits often see Americans, in comparison, as too ‘over the top’ / loud/ demonstrative, whatever?
  3. Where do you personally fall in this continuum? Please, don’t answer if this is too personal, but, for example, do you say “I love you” to your children or parents or siblings often, or did you do so growing up? (For the record, I do, although I don’t think I’m necessarily typical)

I’m with you. If you find out, let me know. Hell, I’ll take on a roommate as long as it’s a big enough place. :wink:

I don’t have a question though-you comment about your kids says that you’re married, most likely, so I won’t ask you to say naughty for me.

On “Whose Line…”, stupid people have been referred to as “wally”. Who was “wally”? Some character on TV or a real person?

Do you drink beer? Do you prefer Real Ale?

Man, I’m dying to know. Is “Yank” the short version of “Yankee” or the polite version of “septic?”

How about a wild ass guess as to the percentages? You know, 30% of the time on the BBC, “Yank” is really the polite form of septic. Among the general population, 10% of the time. Among mates out on the piss it’s more like 99%.

surqaE]*Originally posted by Lsura *

I’m with you. If you find out, let me know. Hell, I’ll take on a roommate as long as it’s a big enough place. :wink:

**[/]

Hmmmn… well if it’s a big enough place there’re be enough room for us and our English sex slave (oh wait. Is sex slave politcally incorrect?) to live comfortably. What with the fall of the aristocrasiy, there are many castles up for rent. Many with there own dungeons.

Applications for sex slave are now being taken.
Lusura, I assume we’ll be moving as soon as the resume process is over. I can’t wait!

A serious question (not that the others aren’t):

Have the BBC versions of Richard II, Richard III and the three parts of King Henry VI been made available for sale to the public yet? A few years ago, I inquired and was told “not yet”. I’m very interested in obtaining said videos.

re: Yank.
Yank is short for Yankee.
Septic is rhyming slang - septic tank / yank.

Yank came first, obviously.
re: English reserve. drpepper, you cite costume dramas as an example of the British reserve in action. These do not reflect the life of today’s ordinary Brit. Yes, the average Brit tends to see himself as less brash than the average American, but we aren’t all walking talking Jane Austen characters!

We are very affectionate with our families. There was a time in history when people were more reserved - even cold, by today’s standards. The TV and film dramas you cite are adaptations of novels from that time. Once again, they are not an accurate reflection of contemporary British life.

of course i do and i think that everyone should. Although it is worth noting that my parents did not have the same childhood that I had. My mother for example can not recall every being told that her parents love her. times have changed and thankfully for the better.

1.) I know I, for one, have a horrible weakness for any kind of UK or Aussie accent. I know I am not alone in this, and recently discovered that it’s not a chick thing, either. My male friends admit to the same weakness. So is this strickly an American thing? Our accent is way more nasal, I can understand it not being as appealing.

2.) How’s the dental hygene over there these days? ie: Good hygene to Americans means that you must brush and floss at least once a day, and go to your dentist every 6 months. And that’s the minimum. Mouth washes, brushing after every meal, Sonic Care, these things are all widely done, too. So how does this compare to the British norm?

Some answers from another average British bloke…

SwimmingRiddles:

I have no statistics, but American accents don’t usually arouse lust in anyone I know. Occasionally, though, I can be partial to a “southern belle” accent (but only if it’s from a person with thoroughly modern attitudes!).

Dental hygiene is not bad here. The stereotype certainly doesn’t hold true any more, although I don’t think we’re quite as thorough as you. I go to the dentists on a problem-only basis, or about once every couple of years if nothing’s wrong (hey, I’m cheap!). Brushing after every meal, flossing etc are all common.

zgystardst:

A wally is just a gentle insult - basically an idiot. It’s the kind of thing your grandparents will call you if you admit to losing your wallet. And yes, I do like real ale, although lagers can be nicer on a summer’s day. Decent real ale isn’t easy to find in central London, sadly.

drpepper:

Jeremy Paxman’s The English is very good on the subject of English reserve. I think there’s a lot of truth to it, but not to the extent that we’re portrayed abroad. People just aren’t very vocal about their feelings - the opposite extreme to the stereotype of Americans we get here (the insincere “have a nice day”, the terrifying New York cabbies, all those stereotypes). I’m personally a bit reserved (unless drunk) - I just genuinely don’t always want other people to know how I feel. If I do, I’ll tell them.

The really bizarre thing was Princess Diana’s funeral, when there was pretty much a spontaneous national outpouring of grief (sociologists are still picking that one to pieces). Regardless of what you think of that situation - I personally was furious about the fuss that other road accident victims weren’t getting, over a woman who was as much of a media manipulator and flawed human being as the rest of us - a lot of commentators saw the grief as very “un-English”. We can be emotional, but you rarely see it in public.

elbows:

Men in women’s clothing isn’t amusing. God knows why some find it like that…the state of comedy on TV here is actually pretty good (Chris Morris, Dom Joly, Fast Show, League of Gentlemen and so on) so hopefully the Benny Hill theme is taking its rightful place in history.

As for regional dialects…no idea. Again, the Paxman book goes into that subject quite a lot. I can’t say much about public school either; the vast majority go to state schools and regard public schools as an amusing anachronism. Popular among the nouveau riche, but not part of most people’s lives.

Reeder:

There isn’t really an English cuisine. It’s more of a fusion of styles. American cuisine isn’t that common here either, really, beyond steak restaurants and Tex-Mex.

betenoir:

London’s big and the popular suburbs change every year (so it seems). People I know tend to congregate in Camden Town, Chalk Farm, Belsize Park, Kentish Town, Balham, Clapham and Fulham, although none of the above are cheap.

1. Yes, we’re famous for being emotionally reserved, however the reputation has outgrown the fact I think. There are ‘gushy’ Brits, but I think most of the emotional restraint thing stems from a love of privacy and a reciprocal understanding that others around us don’t always want to know.

2. Yes, largely, but I must say that many of the Americans I have had the pleasure of meeting seemed gentle folk.

3. There’s a big difference between how we relate to each other in a family/friends situation and in the presence of strangers; most people I know are frank and open (without being insensitive of course) in the family situation,but will initially feel uncomfortable if, say, a complete stanger tries to strike up a conversation in the street.
    I do say ‘I Love you’ to my loved ones, but I wouldn’t just blurt it out from habit; it has to be sincere.

I love dreadlocks. I think they are one of the coolest hairstyles I have ever seen. I think they look so dignified on black/Jamacia/Caribian Island people, and I think they look so counter-culture on us pale skins. I am planning on putting dreads in my hair next spring, when it gets a little longer.

I know a lot of people thing dreadlocks= dirty hippies or Ratafarians, but I think almost everybody can pull them off. You know, you can where dreads and still not be dirty.

What do you all think?