Ask the gay KID

My question is: exactly how old are Lucki and Ooner? I’d like some clarification on this whole “kid” thing, because if we’re talking post-HS I might as well go back and just reread Esprix’s threads, no?

[sub]P.S. Best wished for speedy recovery from whatever-it-is, Lucki. You young whippersnapper, you.[/sub]

Yeah, there’s a lot of warm fuzziness going around. So what? It’s not a crime.**

And your reason for posting here was…?**

True, we Pennsylvanians are all just a big bunch of Quakers. :rolleyes:

You might want to remember that you catch more f**** with h**** then you do with v*******.

Marc

Here’s one more queer kiddo chiming in and letting Esprix feel better about his age.

I know of the Castro. I’ve read about Harvey Milk. I think Oscar Wilde was a genius (as did he). The Stonewall riots were cool. Mattachine Society, Daughters of Bilitis, the whole nine yards. Can you tell I’m a repressed history buff?

Its ironic, though, that we’re really coming full circle these days. We started out with Mattachine and middle-class assimilationism (we’re just like you) then went to revolutionary radicalism (we’re nothing like you and we kick ass) and now we’re back to assimilationism. Andrew Sullivan, the Log Cabin Republicans for Heaven’s sake. Its a testament to how far we’ve come that we are able to support such diverse organizations and agendas with manpower, money, and sponsorships. All this in maybe a little over 50 years of work, often by handfuls of very gutsy people.

I may be young, but I’m not ungrateful. I know my history. I know my debt to the generations before mine. I hope people don’t get complacent, because if anyone thinks things can never return to the way they were, they’re flat-out wrong. The 1920s were good times for the gay community in Germany, and all it took was fifteen years for prison and concentration camps to show up. Santayana better get some respect.

Sheesh – Priam, I’ve been overjoyed that you joined here since I read your first post, but that one was positively beautiful, and wise to a degree not often seen even on this board! I hope that you won’t be offended by my presuming a friendship between us, but I’m honored and pleased to call you friend.

No presumption at all, Polycarp. You’re too cool to be anything but a friend :slight_smile:

As for the post… shuffles his feet and blushes

Boy, that’s not what I witnessed. I couple of years ago I worked in the Live Entertainment department of an amusement park in Minnesota. Here I was a straight guy in a sea of gay men and straight women, I thought the odds were in my favor. I was wrong. I spent the whole summer single and watching hot women sitting in gay mens’ laps talking about how great gay men were and wishing straight men could be more like that! No hard feelings though. As long as there aren’t any gay men present, women think I’m a great guy. Besides, I found out that I do not register on “gaydar”. But, if any of you gays find yourselves in similar situations, send some of those hotties my way! i wouldn’t suggest accompanying them though. I now live in Oklahoma, so you may not get a warm reception.

Psychopachik_Vampire

[Moderator Hat ON]

If you tell people to fuck themselves in this forum again, you may get b*****. I am sure you can think up more insightful things to say in a wide-ranging debate forum than a string of profantities.

[Moderator Hat OFF]

Ah, thank you, Gaudere.

Esprix

All hail she of the administrative bitchslap!

:smiley:

So are you saying I shouldn’t go to Oklahoma City for the Pride Parade next weekend? I met a new guy in Dallas last weekend and he invited me to go with him.

Close. (I couldn’t find the percentages.)

Brown did defeat Ammiano, but Ammiano remains quite the force in SF politics.

Not when the figurative meaning of the profanity is exactly what I want to say and the only substitute would be euphoisms or just spelling it out: I-don’t-like-you-and-I-want-bad-things-to-happen-to-you-because-of-it.

It just doesn’t have the same fire. Then again, my vocabulary is not as extensive as I like, so I may be wrong without knowing it.
Psychopachik Vampire

Wrong answer. The correct answer would have been, “Sorry for breaking the rules - won’t happen again.”

Just for future reference, as the Moderators are the ones who run things around here. Just so you know. And you might try reading some of the FAQs and forum descriptions and so forth.

Esprix

I got to this thread late, but I’ll post my thoughts anyway–

I’m seventeen, and I first started identifying as gay a few months after I turned fourteen. I live in northeastern/central New Jersey, a relatively short drive from New York City, so this was a whole lot easier for me than it would have been in a lot of other places. What I’ve discovered is that (around here, in any case) treatment of gay teens has more to do with individual maturity than anything else. Coming out in junior high would have been hell. I mean, those kids mocked me for talking about dragons a lot–who knows what they would have done if they’d known I was a filthy dyke? :rolleyes:

I was never in any real danger of physical harm. By the time I was in my junior and senior years, almost none of the kids in the same grade as me insulted me for my sexuality, either. In fact, at this point the local Gay/Straight Alliance was formed, and although most of the members were seniors, I think they managed to pick up enough underclassmen to keep the club going next year and beyond. We held a Day of Silence (whatever you may think of that idea), and a startling number of people participated.

Back to my original point about individual maturity: when I was a senior, I made the mistake of coming out to several freshman classmates in my photography class.

ME: Actually, I don’t like guys that way.
FRESHMAN GIRL #1: You mean…
FRESHMAN GIRL #2: Do you like girls that way?
ME: Yeah.
FRESHMAN GIRLS :eek:
FRESHMAN BOY: Then that means…
[FRESHMAN GIRLS hastily start to file out of the darkroom.]
FRESHMAN BOY: So that means you’re…
ME: Yeah?
[FRESHMAN GIRLS finish scurrying out of the darkroom.]
FRESHMAN BOY: That means you’re a…a…
ME: Go ahead. You can say it.
FRESHMAN BOY: No, I can’t, I’m too polite.
[FRESHMAN BOY rushes out of the darkroom.]

I was vastly entertained by this (a sense of humor is a good thing to have in these situations). Unfortunately, the freshmen made a lot of snide comments about my sexuality afterwards. I was already something of an outcast in that class, though, being the only senior and one of the few people who took my work seriously, so it wasn’t much of a change. But it was certainly different than my interactions with juniors and seniors, who were generally secure enough about their own sexuality to feel no need to disparage that of others.

My biggest problem with being gay in high school, though? I seemed to be the only girl who identified that way. Now, I was never much of a social butterfly, so I may just have been missing all the other lesbians, but it was awfully frustrating to listen to my straight classmates recount their tales of dating and romance and know that I’d have to wait till college.

Oh, and as regards gay cultural landmarks and icons: I’m familiar with Stonewall and Oscar Wilde. I’m not familiar with the Castro. I also haven’t heard of Kylie, though, so there’s that, at least.

FTR, I’m 19.

Oh god, please tell me I still qualify as a kid, I don’t want to be a grown-up yet!

So how ya doin’, LUCKI?

It’s been more than your estimated week… and I’m beside myself waiting for your comments on my post.

I don’t like being beside myself, as I have to buy two tickets when I see a movie.

Howdy, I’m back.

Scott - I think it’s pretty simple. People like to get busy with young people. This includes most young people. It’s certainly not impossible to break through that barrier, but I don’t think it has to do so much with authority figures or anything so much as it’s about people preferring to have relationships with their peers. Even people who feel very strongly attracted to people younger or older than them generally find that a relationship isn’t what they want, because you want to have that much more common ground, to be in the same place in your life as your partner.

LC

Thanks, LC.
Glad to see you back and at it!

Yay, good thread, Lucki!

I’d like to ask all the gay teens - actually all the teens - in the thread if they’ve noticed the same thing I have about high school students. (I’m a year out of high school myself, but still got dragged to a lot of end-of-the-year events where I observed this and have teenage friends that do it.)

Perhaps this warrants a thread all by itself, but does it seem like bisexual girls are trendy in high school these days? I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard popular girls making comments like, “She’s so hot, I’d totally get it on with her,” or kissing another girl in a more than friendly way before pawing at their boyfriend some more. I don’t know if we can really count them as bisexual, but it does seem like they’re at least feigning it for some reason, if not honestly feeling like that.

Is this just a ploy to appeal to the “guys want to see girl-on-girl action” stereotype? Is it suddenly safe for a girl to like a girl, as long as she likes guys as well? Is this a way for some semi-closeted lesbians to express themselves without completely alienating themselves from their peer group?

I ask because I’m wondering if it was confined to my school. And if not, am I perhaps on the leading edge of a trend for once? It’d be the first time…

(I haven’t noticed this at college, but at my school, being lesbian is practically plain vanilla.)