Ask the Guy Who Had Cancer this Year

Wow, Jonathan - definitely a HORRIBLE year for you! The way you found out sounds so scary.

Do you have people commenting on how good you look having lost weight? And do they ask you “How’d you do it?” and you have to get all serious and say “Cancer” and they laugh and you say “No really, cancer” and then it gets awkward and you never see them again?

I’m glad your still with us :slight_smile: And with your kids :slight_smile:

This does happen occasionally. Especially with clients who knew I was away with a medical disability but weren’t told what. I didn’t care whether they were told but my employer has a very strict policy on such things.

Still, it’s good to be able to tell them now. Even with the bad stuff everyone’s been very good about it. Though at times it creeps me out, if that makes sense.

I wish you the very best, Jonathan Chance.

Not a question, but just wanted to say:

I had no idea, and I hope your prognosis is good. Best wishes.

Reader’s Digest used to have a column called something like “Hero in Real Life”, with tearjerky stories about cops or firemen who did great deeds.
But surviving cancer and still keeping a steady course in life along with a light-hearted sense of humor,every day for a year…That takes more heroism than running into a burning building for a couple minutes to save somebody’s puppy.
So, if I may ask a light-hearted question:

Why use your phone? Doesn’t the doc have a mirror in his office?

I have a friend who was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer and given three months. Four years ago. He’s now cancer-free. They were rough years but the outcome is all that could be hoped for. Sounds like you’re well on that road. Terrific.

He also lost a lot of weight and doesn’t recommend it as a diet.

Are you working with a dietician and physical therapist to get your strength back up? What kind of programs are available for you?

All I did was lie around. On the table, on the machine, in my bed. Seems little enough to be heroic. The researchers who figured out what I had before I had it and devised a plan? Those are the lifesavers. Literally.

It was even at the: you’re getting XX number of days of radiation (not a round number) as that’s the ideal treatment exposure. I’ve just got to trust them.

He’s a younger man, though a good doc. I honestly don’t think it ever occurred to him to NOT do it that way.

My radiologist had a dietician assigned to me, though honestly I didn’t like him much and he left the practice midway through and someone else took over.

As for diet programs and such available? None, that I’m aware of. My goal is to slowly expand the size of meal and variety of foods I can eat - my tastebuds still rebel strongly at certain foods - while getting better control of my weight. Still, losing 80+ pounds in four or so months? I agree with your friend: it’s not a prescribed weight loss regime.

Though, I gotta say, it DOES work.

Aye; that works for me. Thanks, JKellyMap!

That’s a bit of an understatement.

Did you lose your sense of smell and taste, the ability to swallow or talk? Did you keep the plastic mask?

I got it on my neck, and for a three week period every gulp felt like shoving a hedgehog down my throat ass first. Worst pain I’ve ever had, still hurts to sing now and my sense of smell is still diminished.

Nothing to add. Just chiming in with more good thoughts. Good luck!

Hoo boy.

Smell, no. My sense of taste went haywire. Almost everything ended up tasting like tar - petrochemicals, anyway - or metallic and coppery. I’d throw up almost anything.
As I said, I relied on whole milk for the majority of my limited calories.

For 3+ months I ate nothing solid. I’m still suffering the aftereffects of that as my stomach is significantly shrunk and I can’t yet eat a full meal. I continue to lose weight, but much slower than before.

The radiation went into both sides of my neck - below the jawline on both sides - once per day for weeks on end. My voice is still ragged and my beard is patchy. About one day in two my throat is still sore as all hell, too.

Oh, and we destroyed the mask with explosives following the end of treatment. Freely available explosives are an advantage to living in the south.

That’s funny I was going to ask you if you kept your mask, we always ask our patients if they want it, some do but most don’t. I always think it’s kind of a bizarre thing.

Yowza. Despite the modesty, keeping your stuff together to go through the treatments, eat as well as you could, maintain a positive attitude, care for your daughters, and face another day of the same tomorrow counts as heroism.

Many, many patients fall far short of that. And do much worse as a consequence.

A nasty feature of disease in general is the survivors tend to be the folks who do all the above. But although doing all the above may be necessary, it’s far from sufficient. Some real battlers still crap out. So far you show no signs of crapping out. Yaay you!

Best of luck and keep up the good work. Your mind is a very powerful ally here if you can keep it aimed the right way.

I went through the same weight loss program. I was glad I had an extra 20 pounds or so at the time. Might I recommend protein shakes and buying a juicer? I didn’t force myself to eat if I didn’t want to, but protein shakes (protein powder and almond milk since I’m slightly lactose-intolerant) and a couple glasses of fresh-pressed juice a day gave me quite a lot of nutrition. I think malnutrition is a serious hindrance to healing.

Welcome to the NED (No Evidence of Disease) club. I hope you’re a member for a very long time!

You and me, both, Helena. After about a week of treatment I literally couldn’t keep anything down. Nothing. For whatever god unknown reason we hit up instant breakfast and milk. The nutritionist wasn’t entirely happy but given the alternative it worked out.

I’m eating better now, of course, but my last day of treatment was 4 months ago. If I hadn’t seen SOME improvement there would be other things to worry about.

You and me, both. After months of being strapped into the thing, getting weaker and not being able to shave, losing so much weight that a NEW one had to be made? Bleck.

For those with Facebook, here’s a pic of me close after the end of treatment.

This was almost my thread 16 years ago. My right side started swelling, but while I had to have a salivary gland removed, it turned out to be benign.

Well, that’s good, right?

Look, it was rough, I admit. But there were people I saw during treatment so much worse off that I’m almost embarrassed to complain. During my chemo time - mostly you get hooked up and sit in an easy chair for a few hours while it’s being pumped into you - there was some small girl, fourteen or so. Early high school or something. They put her in a darkened alcove instead of with the rest of us and she kept moaning that her bones ached all day long. Just hearing that is brutal.