Ask the guy who lived in Liberia.

They may have cherry-picked some of the worst areas like Dio said, but the footage is undeniable. What some of the people (and the children!) say and do is undeniably documented.

So. Yes, it’s sensational garbage, but it’s also the truth? :dubious: Here’s a question, is what you watched an accurate depiction of Liberia? People who regularly work/visit the country are clearly telling you it is not:[

](Liberia: America's First Colony | david sasaki)There are many films that accurately depict Liberia (pre/post war 'n all):

LIBERIA: an Uncivil War (2004)
Ceasefire Liberia (recommended by quoted above)
Pray the Devil back to Hell (2008 - recommended by Ethan Zuckerman)

Two years ago I, personally, enjoyed a film called The Iron Ladies of Liberia. It’s a documentary about the greater role of women in the rebuilding of Liberia as a functioning state; and it was recommended to me by a person who’s been there.

This has been very interesting to read. ‘Liberia’ has always been pretty much a name on a map to me; there’s so much written about big and famous places and so little about the out-of-the-way places. (Like Katmandu in Nepal, another place I’m curious about).

Everyone should really watch Pray the Devil Back to Hell.

I’ve seen it and the Vice Guide and both show the horrors of living in some parts of Liberia, but Pray the Devil gives a bit more of a well-rounded look.

Interesting. Many years ago, I knew a man who sold commnications equipment, to the government of Liberia. He told me that the elite in that country were mainly descended from the ex-US slaves…and most were members of a masonic lodge in Monrovia.
The lodge was one of the first places burned down by the rebels.