Ask the person who's seen a lot of movies this year

20 or so years ago I used to try to see all the movies as they came to my then city of 50,000, but only on weekend afternoons for the discounted $4.25. More recently I can get the senior discount for evening showings. That was before the 6-plex and the 16-plexes came to town. The biggest were tri-plexes. Then I moved away and came back 10 years later to the same town that now has a 12 & a 16-plex. But I now have a vast collection of bought VHS and DVD flicks and DirecTv with TCM, FMC, and ifc, and have burned thru 6 dvdr’s in 10 years. Someday I’ll retire again and watch more of them more often.

I went to a 16-plex last Saturday for the first theatre trip in more than a year. I wanted to see *Charlie St. Cloud * because the book on which it was based, The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud, was based on life in my birth town, an east coast sailing town, but the flick was set in the Pacific Northwest (made in Vancouver, Canada, area.) I enjoyed the flick, though at $6.25 on Sat. afternoon.

I still enjoy buying dvds and even paid $2.49 each for half a dozen VHS flix last week at Food Lion(!). No, I don’t use Metflix. Barnes & Noble is having a 1/2 price sale on many, many Criterion Collection and other dvds & sets right now. In June they had their annual buy 2 get a 3rd one free sale so I stocked up then, as well, even though they marked up many of them above the competition.

As for going to a flix in a multiplex auditorioum other than the one for which the ticket was purchased, I actually was amazed to see a ticket audit at one 4-plex 15 years ago. A guy was at the auditorium door checking all of the tickets. Don’t know why. Don’t recall the flick.

Ignatz, I’ve only been “caught” by an audit once, when I went to see Taken. The security guy asked to see my ticket, strangely enough after the movie was over. I showed him that I had bought a ticket for Slumdog Millionaire that started about the same time and explained myself. He just nodded. I thought, great, he’s going to ask to see my ticket every time now, but I’ve seen him several times since and he’s never bothered me.

Bob, I liked Vincent: A Life In Color quite a bit! What was very cool too is that Vincent himself, and Jennifer Burns, the filmmaker, were at ALL of the screenings to meet and talk to people. Every day for a week, every showing. I guess I’d been deprived. I had never heard of or seen Vincent before I saw the listing in the program guide, so I wasn’t that interested in seeing it. I met him on Saturday when I went to see the Kill Bills. He was so fun and sweet and friendly that I decided to go back Monday and see the movie. It was fantastic. He acts and dresses like a loonball, and looks like he’s not all there, but the man is a computer genius! Did the articles you read mention that he lives in the corncobs facing downtown overlooking the river? I’ve lived in Chicago 20 years, and he’s the first person I’ve ever met who lives in Marina City. It’ll be out on DVD fairly soon. They were selling them at the screenings but I only had movie money, not extra money.

I forgot, Life During Wartime with Todd Solondz (Welcome to the Dollhouse, Happiness) in attendence for a Q & A was also a free screening. I got that from being on the IFP (Independent Film Project) mailing list, even though I’m not a member. The mailing said that members automatically get in, and non-members get in on a first come-first serve basis. I was off that day and went to the theater early to see The Girl Who Played With Fire. Then I went and waited in line 3 hours. I thought it would be packed, but the small theater the screening was in was only half full. I felt so bad for Todd. He makes weird movies, but he seems like a very nice, quiet, humble guy.
A story I forgot to tell was that I had gone to see Waking Sleeping Beauty, which is a documentary about the rise and fall and rise rise rise again of Disney. I came down to the lobby level and they were just letting people go upstairs from the roped-off free-screening waiting area. I asked one of the women taking passes what the screening was and she said it was Clash of the Titans. I asked if they had any extra passes, which seems bold but, you never know. We’ve gotten into other movies by doing that. After all, they WANT people to see the movie. That’s why they have free advance screenings, to hopefully get a buzz on. If the theater’s not full they might gladly give out passes to get as many people into the theater as possible. So, she said that the theater would be pretty full, and that they wouldn’t know if there were any empty seats until right before the movie started, but that if I wanted to wait, I could. I didn’t have anything else to do, so I hung around.

About 10 minutes later, a couple of minutes before the movie was going to start, one of the women went up to check seating. She came back and told a few others that were waiting before me that they could go in. She came over to me and said I could go on up, but warned me, it’s packed, and the likelihood of me finding a seat are dim, but there are some singles, so good luck finding one. I said thanks! I figured that if it were a real chore to find a place to sit, I’d just go on home. Nothing lost. I get into the theater, quite a big theater, and what do I see?

The ENTIRE front row is empty! NObody likes sitting in the front row. Except me!

I just grinned and grinned. I got to see a big-ass blockbuster for free, and got to sit where I normally sit, front row center, and only had to wait 10 minutes, instead of getting there early and waiting 3 hours. Yeah, it was a really stupid movie, but I didn’t have to pay for it.

I forgot a few.

1. Brew & View at the Vic. Movie tickets are $5. What a bargain! Normally they have concerts going on, and we’ve seen everyone from Sinead O’Connor to Todd Rundgren to Tori Amos to Dead Can Dance to Sarah McLachlan to Musical Box and so many more there, but when they’re not having concerts, they show movies on film. Usually it’s a double feature, and quite often it’s a triple feature. Moulin Rouge!/Nine/Almost Famous was one triple feature, Fantastic Mr. Fox/A Serious Man/Fargo was another, A Town Called Panic/Daybreakers /Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas was another. Even the triples are $5. The sound system isn’t great, but the prints aren’t generally torn up, and mostly look great. Fargo was pristine, better than I remember it being when I first saw it!

We don’t go to these very often, but they are available to us…

1. The Davis - it’s a first run discount theater with 4 screens. Matinees before 6pm are $5.50, and regular price is $8.00. We should go there more often, since it’s very close to where we live, but the screens are small and they used to have very uncomfortable seats. I should go and see if it’s any better now.

2. The Logan Theater - A 2nd run theater, it’s an old movie palace that was broken up into 4 theaters. I rarely go there because it’s out of the way for me, but tickets are only $4.00, at least, last time I was there.

Places we could go but have never been…

1. The Portage Theater - it’s not a discount theater, but they show a lot of old, weird and silent films, and occasionally they have interesting specials. I just missed a double feature of 1934’s Manhattan Melodrama, which was the movie that John Dillinger saw before he was gunned down by the feds (though he saw it at the now-defunct Biograph Theater), and last year’s Public Enemies with Johnny Depp. All tickets were 25 cents! I fully intended to go, but I, well, didn’t, because I screwed up remembering the details of when it was happening. Sigh. I should have written it in pencil on my calendar.

2. The Cultural Center International Summer Screenings - Free. I just found out about this and I’m going to start attending their movies on Wednesdays. Damn, I’ve already missed so many.

3. Movies In The Parks - Free. We used to go to the Outdoor Film Festival at Butler Field in Grant Park downtown, but that’s gone now. Other movies are shown at other parks, but we’ve never gotten around to going to any, mainly because I really, really like air conditioning in the summer.

4. Alliance Francaise De Chicago - They often seem to have good movies, but I always forget to check their website. I’ve never been there so I don’t know if they charge or are free. They have Truffaut’s The Last Metro coming up in September, and I want to see more Truffaut, so I should join their mailing list, and try to find out how much they charge.

I’m now officially a member of Cinema Chicago, yay!, and got my first members-only free screening pass from them. Next Thursday I’ll be seeing Cairo Time, with Patricia Clarkson and Alexander Siddig. All I need is 5-6 passes over the course of a year to break even on the membership cost, and I’ll probably get many many many more than that if, boom, getting one the first day I’m a member is any indication. I’m happy! More Gene Siskel Center movies for me.

August may not be as light a movie month as I thought. I already counted up 27 movies I plan to see at the Siskel and the Cultural Center, and that’s not counting any indie/Hollywood movies that play at the other theaters. I count around 15 of those, if they all open in Chicago. Yes yes, I’m getting obsessed.

Yes, I did know that he lived in Marina City. I knew one other person who lived there, an aunt of a high school friend of mine, but she passed away awhile back. I did get to visit her condo in the towers though and they’re really interesting… The condos are pie-shaped, like a wedge from Trivial Pursuit.

I’ve seen Vincent around for years. The first time I saw him was when I did a boat tour right after moving here and he was on the lower part of the Wabash bridge waving to everyone. I also worked in the 401 N. Michigan building for a few years, where NBC has their studio, and he would be there every day after I got off work trying to get on camera.

Also - Speaking of different movie theaters in the city, here are some of my favorites:

Evanston’s Century 6 & 12. I love these theaters. Close to where we live (I’m in Rogers Park), parking is cheap or free, the theaters are great and they have a great selection of films.

I also really like a few you already mentioned:

The Music Box
AMC: Both River East and 600 North (when I worked on Michigan Ave, I would occasionally fake a dentist appt or something to grab a long lunch and see a movie in the middle of the work day.

Do you ever get out to Park Ridge to the Pickwick Theater? If not, you should check it out. It’s an old art deco theater built in the 20’s and the main auditorium was built to resemble a Mayan temple.

If anyone’s interested, I highly, HIGHLY recommend Get Low and, for those who don’t mind seeing a lot of bare boobs, Middle Men. I thought both movies were quite wonderful, both had fascinating stories and very good acting, and I’ll definitely be seeing both of them again.

I like that theater a lot too. It’s not anywhere close to where we live but there’s a bus we can catch a half-block from our house that takes us right in front of the theater, and the same back again. It’s about a 35 minute bus ride but if we use the RTA Trip Planner it’s a breeze figuring out the timing of when we have to leave to get there by the start of the movie. It also has reasonably-priced matinees, comfortable seats, exit signs that are soft red letters on black instead of glaring white letters, shows both arthouse/indie and blockbusters, and they hire developmentally and physically disabled young people to take tickets.

Its biggest drawback for me is that the CEO of Cinemark, Alan Stock, is a fucking homophobe and donated $10,000 to Yes On Prop 8, so I boycotted the theater for over a year (I was at this protest), but I’ve started going back once in a great while. I still don’t go there anywhere near as often as I used to though. I used to go there a couple dozen times a year, at least, and pay for multiple movies each time. This year the only time I’ve been there is to see Winter’s Bone and The Secret In Their Eyes, because at that time, they weren’t playing anywhere else. Their head bigot has lost a lot of money from us. Yeah I know no one at the company cares, least of all him.

AMC River East is the theater we go to most often. We’re there practically every week, sometimes multiple times in a week. I just saw 3 movies there last night. I’m shocked that the 600 is still open, because it’s so close to River East and they show the same movies, and it’s not as comfortable. River East killed McClurg Court (cry), Watertower and the 900, but not the 600, yet.

It sounds like a great place but no, I’ve never been there. I have to admit I don’t even know where Park Ridge is. We’ve lived in Chicago over 20 years and haven’t owned a car the whole time we’ve lived here. The advantage is that we don’t have any of the expenses related to a car (more movies for us!) but the disadvantage is that if a place is not easy and fairly quick to reach by public transportation, it’s dead to us. Most of the burbs might as well be Siberia to us.

I should be in bed but I can’t sleep. Since amazingly enough I stayed home and did laundry instead of seeing a movie last night, August is done. I saw 33 movies in the theater in August, for a total of 175 so far this year, in the theater.

August 2010

Cropsey
Get Low
Middle Men
The Other Guys
Inglourious Basterds (5th? 6th? I don’t remember)
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (first time ever)
India of K-Town
Stonewall Uprising
Twelve
Cairo Time
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
The Expendables
Natural Born Killers (previously seen on video)
Taxi Driver (previously seen on video)
Inception (IMAX) (4th)
The Girl Who Played With Fire (3rd)
Middle Men (2nd)
Bunny and the Bull
The Concert
Bomber
Pulp Fiction (saw original release and several times since)
His Girl Friday (previously seen on TV)
Behind the Burly Q
Vision
Neshoba
Anton Chekhov’s The Duel
Farewell
Soul Kitchen
Around A Small Mountain
Making Plans For Lena
Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child
Lebanon

I enjoyed most of what I saw, yes, even Twelve, which I liked much more than most of the critics. It was wonderful seeing older films again, from Taxi Driver to Pulp Fiction, to recent favorites such as Basterds and Avatar. Natural Born Killers was much more fascinating to me this time than it was the first time I saw it. I didn’t like it the first time. I liked it a lot this time. It was so much fun seeing His Girl Friday on the big screen, since I’d only seen it on television decades ago. I found out I don’t particularly like Abbott and Costello. I didn’t think they were funny at all. It was part of the Quentin Tarantino retrospective and I can see why he liked it as a kid, and a bit how it influenced him, but I didn’t see it as a kid and have no nostalgia for it. I found it kinda sad, actually, putting those great monsters into a comedy.

My favorite brand new movies (new playing Chicago, though several have been out in Europe for months, or since last year) were Farewell (I hope it’s eligible for Oscars), Neshoba (which was devastating), Stonewall Uprising (informative and powerful), Soul Kitchen (tons of fun with great music, I want to see it many, many times), Scott Pilgrim, Bunny and the Bull (totally goofy and surreal), Get Low and Middle Men.

My least favorite new movies were The Concert (I thought it was so stupid, but it had great music), Bomber (I thought it was both stupid and infuriating, and wanted to slap the writer/director) and The Expendables (not even my dear Jason could save it for me). I guess I’m a heathen, because I didn’t think much of the two French movies (Mountain and Lena) but the scenery was gorgeous and the acting by everyone was very good. Lebanon made no sense whatsoever, but it was intense. The entire movie is set inside a tank, except for the very beginning and very end. You only see the outside though the scopes that the gunner and driver use to see out. I would think that anyone in the military, let alone anyone who’s been on a tank crew, would be so embarrassed by these undisciplined and flaky soldiers. Still, the acting was good, it’s effectively claustrophobic and very, very intense.

I thought The Radiant Child was quite good. I knew absolutely nothing about Jean-Michel Basquiat before seeing the movie other than just vaguely knowing his name, and I had never seen any of his artwork. No, I never saw the Julian Schnabel film, though I’ve seen all his other movies. I found that I do not understand Basquiat’s art at all, but the man was absolutely fascinating and adorable and his death was a great loss. Cropsey was creepy and interesting. The Duel had great scenery and acting and was strangely funny. It was my first exposure to Anton Chekov and I found the experience surprisingly enjoyable. Did I mention I’m an uncultured heathen? You’re looking at a Kansas farm girl. The most culture I got growing up was Green Acres.

The only films that were free screenings were Cairo Time (with a lovely Patricia Clarkson, a grown-up relationship, and an interesting glimpse of Cairo, it’s a movie for adults who want movies geared toward them, so of course they’re not going to see it until it hits DVD) and Soul Kitchen, but I liked that one so much I’ll pay to see it again when it opens.

I met the directors of the very fun and spicy Behind the Burly Q about the history of burlesque in America (Leslie Zemeckis, Robert’s wife), Neshoba, which is a documentary about 3 murdered civil rights workers in 1964 Mississippi and the fight to bring one of the many men responsible who had gotten away with it to justice, (Micki Dickoff, who almost seemed worried about me because I was in tears at the end and was sitting in the front row) and the interesting but badly edited India of K-Town which is hard to describe without being overly negative (Beverly Price, who didn’t have enough footage to work with, plus she had to deal with a mind-bogglingly inarticulate lead character).

Most disappointing: Vision, but not because it’s not a good movie. It’s a very good movie, an excellent movie and the reality-based parts seemed fairly accurate although I’m not a Hildegard von Bingen expert. It’s just that the movie focused more on her religious visions and not as much on her amazing music, not to mention all the other great things she did. Most of it is there in the movie, touched on, but it’s mostly all just pushed aside by the religious claptrap. I know, disappointed that a movie, about a nun, called “Vision,” is mostly concerned with a nun’s [del]ocular migranes[/del] visions. Imagine that! I’m way off base, I realize that, but I can’t help that it bothered me that if you didn’t know that SHE wrote so much of the great music heard in the movie, you wouldn’t know that she wrote ANY of the great music heard in the movie. I can only remember one or two references to her “songs” very offhand, and a scene from a play she wrote. No scenes of her actually creating music. Dammit. It was a very good movie, make no mistake, but I do hope at some point someone makes a “secular” but accurate biopic of her life focusing more on her accomplishments in the real world.

September starts with Vengeance and Chicago Heights at the Gene Siskel film center after work. There are a lot of good movies coming up this month.

Ok, goodnight.

So, September is not over yet and I have a lot of movies still to see, including, maybe, a 7-hour long movie about Hitler (yes, I’m crazy, you were saying?) so I’m not going to list movies yet, but since I’m looking at this thread with an eye to the future (“Remember that crazy-ass year I saw all those movies? What’d I see, anyway?”) I figure I should mark a milestone.

Last night I saw my 200th movie in the theater so far this year! It was a terrific documentary called Ghost Bird (link is to the trailer), about the sighting of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker in Arkansas. The description makes it seem like a very simple subject, but there are so many layers to the story. It’s about a beautiful bird. It’s about a town turned upside down. It’s about people who want to believe. It’s about people who want to believe but can’t ignore science. It’s about extinction, and hope, and desperation. It’s sad, it’s funny, it’s quite remarkable. This movie is fascinating, haunting (especially with Zoe Keating’s* amazing and beautiful soundtrack), humorous, poignant, interesting, really a great movie.

The Official site

• Zoe Keating is a very talented cellist who used to play with a band called Rasputina and is now solo. I’ve liked her since Rasputina, and I got to meet her when she opened for Imogen Heap a few years ago and she’s very nice.