Ask the Soldier in Afghanistan

**Once your military service is done, do you think you would ever like to return?

Has anyone served active duty with you that could tell you about Vietnam?

What do you wish they would have told you before you got there? **

The Time article about Aisha really grabbed me, and in it they mention armed guards protecting her provided by the same NGO that took her to the US. Sounds like something I’d like to do.

No, unfortunately not.

Maybe some training from a guy who used to walk point would have been nice. We walk single file as they did back then due to the threat from mines and other threats and some experience in that would be great in an instructor.

I’m former Army (13F), as is pretty much every male in my family going back to my grandfathers. You expressed being in the Army as “unpleasant”. Aside from crappy food, asinine procedural bullshit, piss-poor leadership in many cases, hurrying up and waiting, sleepless days and nights, being in a combat area, dealing with IED’s…what’s not to like?

Suck it up!

:slight_smile:

And stay safe, troop.

Fascinating thread - thank you for it and thank you for your service.

How do actively military personnel discuss politics? By that I mean: it is a basic value that the military supports the US, unquestionably, regardless of politics. So what are the “rules of engagement” when politics come up or you feel especially strongly about the political situation back home - in general and its effect on the war effort?

Given all the complexities, I would assume one just doesn’t talk about politics, even amongst yourselves, but that doesn’t sound right either…

It seems like at least half of all the casualties we hear about are caused by IED’s. How do you decide who has to get in that first Humvee? Is there a rotation or something to spread out the risk?

What kinds of things do you do in an average day?
What’s the goal or misson of your unit (catch baddies, train people, build a school, fight a nearby enemy unit, etc, I dunno)?
If America won the war, what would that look like, or how would you know you’d won?

** I’m former Army (13F), as is pretty much every male in my family going back to my grandfathers. You expressed being in the Army as “unpleasant”. Aside from crappy food, asinine procedural bullshit, piss-poor leadership in many cases, hurrying up and waiting, sleepless days and nights, being in a combat area, dealing with IED’s…what’s not to like?

Suck it up!

And stay safe, troop. **

Aahh… no comment. :wink:

** Fascinating thread - thank you for it and thank you for your service.

How do actively military personnel discuss politics? By that I mean: it is a basic value that the military supports the US, unquestionably, regardless of politics. So what are the “rules of engagement” when politics come up or you feel especially strongly about the political situation back home - in general and its effect on the war effort?

Given all the complexities, I would assume one just doesn’t talk about politics, even amongst yourselves, but that doesn’t sound right either… **

The general consensus is that you don’t discuss politics and you don’t discuss religion. The religion rule gets broken way more than the politics one. Interestingly I currently have a soldier who worships the Norse pantheon and Gaia. But the politics rule gets broken too and that can lead to some serious arguments. Nothing ever gets resolved because you gotta realize halfway through to just give it up.

** It seems like at least half of all the casualties we hear about are caused by IED’s. How do you decide who has to get in that first Humvee? Is there a rotation or something to spread out the risk? **

Generally the squad leader on the patrol takes the lead vehicle if we’re using them. The crews(driver/gunner/dismounts) change though. When moving dismounted I rotate between my two team leaders though I have on occasion taken point in some pretty bad areas with historical IED presence.

** What kinds of things do you do in an average day?

What’s the goal or misson of your unit (catch baddies, train people, build a school, fight a nearby enemy unit, etc, I dunno)?

If America won the war, what would that look like, or how would you know you’d won? **

What we do each day changes. We rotate on patrol and security cycles and some days the work details are worse than others. A quick breakdown though: 2-3 patrols a day, maybe a night time ambush set up, pulling tower guard if it’s your turn(or sergeant of the guard for squad leaders like myself), training our Afghan Army counterparts, or just getting done whatever work needs doing.

All of those.

We’ve won once the Afghan Army can take over and we’re no longer needed. We will recognize it when it gets to be like my last tour in Iraq where every time something went down either the Iraqi Army or Iraqi police already had it under control by the time we showed up.

Anymore? You guys are much better than my Dad’s geography students.

What vehicles are your unit using? Are you still holed up in overweight, top-heavy HMMV’s or do you guys have Strykers, MRAP’s, etc? The Strykers and MRAP’s came about after my time (I got out in 1993), but from what I have read and seen in demonstration videos they look pretty durable.

Do you have any gay colleagues? How “out” are they? How do you feel about DADT, and it’s likely demise?

What type of firearms do you use on a regular basis?

Thank you for your service.

My family just buried my 19 year old cousin on Thursday. He was killed by an IED and had only been in Afghanistan for about 2 weeks.

No questions for you right now, but I just want to say “Be Safe.”

How do you get laid in a strict, Muslim country? Can you do it at all? Can you ride a camel into town or something?

I think I would go insane if I were stuck in some highly religious country where all sorts of horrific things are done to women for sexual transgressions.

Are there stories of local Muslim girls who went off with Infidel servicemen and were killed/mutilated/raped or all three by their family?

I don’t want to have you say anything that could get you or others in trouble, but with Afghanistan glutted with heroin, raw opium, and hashish, (but no access to alcohol, even on US bases, correct?) are you seeing soldiers falling into drug abuse?

Are soldiers drug-tested in the field?

Where do you like to head for R&R?

Stay safe, and thank you for your service!!!

Here’s a less than politically correct question for ya:

In Iraq, the insurgents are generally called “hajji” or “hajjies”, much like the Vietnamese were “gooks” or the Germans were “krauts”.

What’s the equivalent term for the Afghans?

Ali Baba was one…I’m sure there are more…

Take this for what it’s worth…

Do you think it’s a particularly good idea to announce to the world that you’re in Afghanistan? By doing so, do you think that you’re violating OPSEC and perhaps risking your life and those of your fellow unit members?

I ask because I have been deployed to that region numerous times and I have made it a point not to say where I was until I came home. If you get rolled up, God forbid, will your captors be able to research things about you and use them against you, or do you sincerely believe that you are anonymous?

For my part, I can tell you that in the past I was far too free with personal information. Fortunately I do not have an easily searchable real name as it’s very common (much to my surprise). Just something to think about.

That said, keep the faith, brother, and good luck to you.

Are there any American troops in the Wakhan Coridoor, the eastern strip of land that touches China? I have actually been near the place on China’s side.

Have you acquired any souvenirs?

What is your opinion of the Afghan army-any good?

What is it like when you come home from a deployment? Is the transition difficult? What kinds of things do you miss most from home?