Ask the white, male, upper middle class, somewhat conservative, taxpayer

Hamlet:

It’s a combination of a couple of things.

On the one hand, there is the view of an “old boy’s network” that serves to concentrate the wealth of this country, repressing and excluding most minorities. While many of the inequities have been addressed, the job is not yet complete. The legacy of this past is that the majority of both the wealth and upward mobility in this nation is maintained in the hands of WMUPCSCTs.

Clearly opportunities need to be created to balance this inequity.

On the other hand, doing so creates inequities in the present to make up for those of the past. Things like heavier taxes for the wealthy, affirmative action, racial quotas in schools and Colleges create a form of racial discrimination against the former discriminating class.

Turnabout may be fair play, but most of these evils were committed by people who are no longer alive. I have never been a slaveowner, I don’t discriminate against women, I’m generally not prejudiced and treat people equally (as has been pointed out I do have a prejudice against our local Amish, but I feel that’s justified.)

Do I and others like me owe our current success and standard of living to the inequities of the past? Should we begrudge the process that villifies the deeds of past generations and extends the penalties onto the present generation? Should we keep our mouths shut and put up with it because when all is said and done we have it pretty good?

So you’re main problem is with affirmative action, especially because you feel that you personally have been one who has been adversely affected by the policies. (Of course, I don’t get why you would want to go to Notre Dame anyway. :slight_smile: Yet despite these policies it sounds like you ended up O.K. Good Job, Money, Guns, etc. Now, it seems you would credit that success solely to the meritocracy that exists in America; i/e you worked your a** off and deserve it. However, I think that at least part of your success is due to the fact that, despite these policies, you still had an astounding number of options available to you. The people who should benefit from affirmative action policies, ideally, would not have many other options available to them. In this sense, affirmative action is not making up for the inequities of the past at your expense, it is an attempt to level the playing field now.

Which leads to my next question for the wmumcsct; Is your current success do solely to your own hard work, or are there larger social and political forces working in your favor?

P.S. The O.B.N next meeting is tuesday at the library, don’t tell any women or minorities, see you there.

“Which leads to my next question for the wmumcsct; Is your current success do solely to your own hard work, or are there larger social and political forces working in your favor?”

Quite clearly it’s a combination of the two.

Being a Wmumcsct has placed me in positions where I had the opportunity to work my ass off and reap the benefits of that work. Certainly some of those situations were not easily accessible to your average black teenager in Newark, New Jersey.

Well, the marriage tax “break” I could do without, but we’re making progress. Eventually, I could be just like you! Well, except for the conservative part… :slight_smile:

Esprix

Ask the Gay Guy!

The kid in New Jersey, who hasn’t had, and probably would never have, the same opportunities as you, needs the help of some of these programs you were railing against. Without them, he wouldn’t have a chance to end up in the country with this money and guns (any lawyers too Mr. Zevon?), but with them he just may. That’s where some of your hard-earned tax dollars are going, and that’s why he may benefit from affirmative action.

“…a man of infinite jest.”

Yes Hamlet, it would be a wonderful thing if it worked that way.

I would not mind my taxes at all is this were the case.

I don’t have a cite, but I heard that if you totalled the amount of dollars that have gone into welfare since 1972, you would have evough cash to buy the fortune 500 outright today. Overstatement? Understatement? I don’t know. I believe that welfare, perpetuates the problem of Urban poverty, by stripping the recipients of incentive, as well as self-worth.

The urban Public school systems are atrocious in spite of all the money that has been sent.

You cannot solve these problems by throwing money at them any more than you can fix a leaky bucket by pouring more water into it.

I do resent the waste.

(Sigh.) Ok, everyone hang on…

Yeah. That is oppressive. You know, There’s a way that you can actually get the GOVERNMENT to pay taxes to YOU! No shit! It works!

Here’s how you do it: you know that job you’ve got? Quit it. Yep, just have Mabel, your secretary, type up a resignation letter for you, and hand it in to the ol’ boss. Handshakes all around, and you’re out the door to live for free on the backs of those other suckers in suits. Next, sell off your house and your car and stuff. Don’t worry about market prices and crap-- remember, the less you charge for all that stuff, the more money the goverment will give you, so be generous!

Take the cash that you get from that and put it in a bag-- a duffel bag or even a small suitcase will work-- and throw it in the river. Oh, man, you’re going to feel like you’re throwing the shackles of 40 years of the goddamned IRS off your back with that. Just think, that’s their 40% cut of your hard work washing away out of sight. Isn’t it great! You’re teaching those pricks a lesson for a change.

Ok, now it’s time to go get your free money. Go down to your local Social Services office. I know it’s crowded and the people in there smell bad, but, dude, you’re about to get FREE MONEY! You’ll have to fill out some forms and stuff. And you might have to talk to someone-- probably some big fat woman who’s one of those Affirmative Action recipients who can barely speak or read or anything, and got the job just because she’s fat or black or something. So don’t even bother listening to what she says. You can stare around at stuff, all the while thinking that you’re finally getting UNCLE SAM TO PAY YOU!

Ok, she’ll finish talking, and then you can just go pick up your check. WOO HOO! Can you believe it? Not only is the Government giving YOU money, but THEY AREN’T EVEN TAKING TAXES OUT! You’re probably ready to kick yourself for slaving away for all those yearspaying taxes! Who knew it could be this easy?

Now, dude, here’s the best part! If you go to a different office, the government will give you stamps you can trade in for FREE FOOD! Yeah, I know it sounds crazy, but that’s what you’ve been paying taxes for for all these years-- so the government can go give someone else free food. But now it’s your turn, because you know the secret! You can do the same with the electric company and the phone company. They’ve got special programs, WHICH YOU USED TO PAY FOR, that gives people a huge break on their bills. CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS?!?!

Dude, there are so many more tricks to squeeze stuff out of the goverment that I don’t even have time to tell you all about them right now. But know this: we sit here and laugh at you all the time-- you white upper-middle class guys in suits that haul your ass into work every day just to give away ALMOST HALF OF WHAT YOU MAKE to people you don’t even know! I was one of you, until someone showed me the secrets I’m telling you about. Now you can just kick back and relax while those same WUMC guys bust their asses for YOU for a change!

No. You are a common egoist who shields the immense pride he takes in his own droppings by covering them in enough irony to supply your very own smelting concern. A man pulls his own weight in society, plus a little bit more, without begrudging the fact that he does so.

Well said, Nurlman.

Now, Nurlman definately has a way with sarcasm and mockery, but I doubt he’s very persuasive in intelligent arguments. Yet he does have a grain of truth.

It does appear you may be a bit bitter about helping the less fortunate than yourself.

“…a man of infinite jest.”

Welfare and government assistance are supposed to be used as a springboard with which an underprivileged person can launch himself toward something more constructive. This is not happening. Although the government barely gives someone enough money to live off of, once you know the realy secrets, you don’t have to work any more. Perhaps you don’t realise, but for every child a woman has she gets a raise in salary. That’s correct, the government is paying for ignorant, slothful, putrescent women to procreate. I think it sucks too.

Me? I came from the lower, lower class and I’m well on my way to middle middle class. From there I might go on to upper middle or even lower upper. Why? Because I realised I had to actually do work to get anywhere. Who helped me? No one. Not a damn one. Do I resent welfare? Not when someone truely has a desire to improve himself. Do I resent throwing money at white trash and others? You better believe it.

Didn’t the Gov of NY institute a welfare policy that if you don’t work you don’t get any assistance? That’s a very good idea.

Nurlman:

That was an excellent and much deserved attack.

"No. You are a common egoist who shields the immense pride he takes in his own
droppings by covering them in enough irony to supply your very own smelting concern.
A man pulls his own weight in society, plus a little bit more, without begrudging the
fact that he does so. "

I agree with the latter part, and there is probably quite a bit of truth in the former. Sometimes I feel proud, and quite smug with myself. Other times I just feely lucky or fortunate. Other times I feel like an undeserving imposter. Usually this makes me work harder to achieve more to try to prove to myself that I’m worthy and important.
What of it?

The ironic part is that there is probably a lot of truth in the rest of your post as well. I think that some people do laugh at they system that supports them.

I buy the groceries in my family. I’ve stood in line and watched people buy Shrimp, steak, and lobster with their foodstamps, and it sincerely ticks me off when I remember times in the not too distant past when I would skip lunch and eat rice and bouillion cubes for dinner so that I would have enough money to visit my girlfriend (now wife) on the weekend.

I am angered as I see these same people get into their $30,000 pickup trucks. I see these same trucks in front of dilapidated and unkempt trailers. Don’t tell me this isn’t wrong.

Sometimes I think the high level of taxes I and others pay serves to fund social programs that do nothing more than maintain the status quo, and thus perpetuate the inequities of society rather than cure them.

Social programs like welfare, and foodstamps do rob one of pride and motivation, as do graduated taxes. What is the motivation to get a job at Burger King when you can earn more staying at home on the dole (and especially when getting that job which will not pay you and your family enough to live will result in the revocation of your welfare status?)

Should I be happy to contribute to such a system? Is that giving my fair share and a little more?

You have brought up some good points, how do you react to the rest of it? Are you happy with the way your tax dollars are being spent?

Increasingly I see the inequities of the past being perverted to justify special treatment in the future. I’ve seen this occur to racial minorities, women in the workplace, the handicapped, etc.

This becomes not only institutionalized, it becomes an attitude of something owed to the recipients by the rest of society. It robs those that are generally deserving and it villifies and penalizes the rest of society as well as perpetuating the problem.

I want to have nice things and do well and give the very best of everything to my daughter. I feel that I’m smart enough and hard-working enough to be able to do this without stepping on or oppressing anybody else.

I want to retire young enjoy life and pass on the fruits of my life to my children. I don’t think its right that the government which has been participating as a full partner while I’ve worked to create this life for myself and my family is again going to step up to the trough and take half of what’s left when I die, especially if it’s not going to serve any useful purpose. If that’s selfish than I’m selfish.

Increasingly I see the inequities of the past being perverted to justify special treatment in the future. I’ve seen this occur to racial minorities, women in the workplace, the handicapped, etc.

This becomes not only institutionalized, it becomes an attitude of something owed to the recipients by the rest of society. It robs those that are generally deserving and it villifies and penalizes the rest of society as well as perpetuating the problem.

I want to have nice things and do well and give the very best of everything to my daughter. I feel that I’m smart enough and hard-working enough to be able to do this without stepping on or oppressing anybody else.

I want to retire young enjoy life and pass on the fruits of my life to my children. I don’t think its right that the government which has been participating as a full partner while I’ve worked to create this life for myself and my family is again going to step up to the trough and take half of what’s left when I die, especially if it’s not going to serve any useful purpose. If that’s selfish than I’m selfish.

WMUMCSCT,

Boy, if those poor folks were smart enough to live without food or anything for 25 years, they’d be rich.
:wink:

I do not think about the things I do not think about.

-William Jennings Bryant

heres my take on your situation… the goverment has no right to tax anyone without their consent. aand thats about it, they dont have the right, and yet when you steal you go to jail. thats injustice :slight_smile:

also the worst thing about taxing is the national debt… 20% of your taxes go to the national debts interest.

tomas edison said something like “its cruel to tax those who have no something or other” but it goes along with my point:P

is it selfish to want someone to not take your money? no matter what they do with it

Asmodean:

I don’t mind the taxes as much as the waste.
Hmmm. It’s been a day or so. I suppose that was just a hit and run post by Nurlman, and he has no intention of sticking around to defend his assertions. Maybe he’s on vacation or something.

Scylla said:

Sorry. I took off for the weekend and by the time I got back, this thread had dropped off the first page and I didn’t bother looking for it. But your response deserves an answer, so here goes…

Indeed. What of it? Your personal angst is of no consequence to me. However, having now brought myself back up to speed on your posts in this thread, I’m of the opinion that your purpose in this thread is to either bask in your own smugness by protectively cloaking of irony (“I had … no way to avoid a long life of gainful employment and contribution to society.”) or else you are carrying out a dryly satirical version of the “Ask the …” threads posted by people who have legitimate gripes over how they are viewed by part or all of society. Having now read your response to me, I am leaning towards the former.

Well, life is a series of choices, isn’t it. So what if people who get a fixed amount of food stamps each month choose to blow them all on a lobster, instead of using them to buy a wide variety of staples? Your judgmental take on this situation suggests that you still view that as “your money” they are spending, and that you somehow have a paternalistic right to dictate how they spend it. If a recipient of food stamps spends them foolishly-- buying small amounts of expensive foods instead of a month’s supply of inexpensive ones-- that’s their right to do so. The government won’t provide them more stamps at the end of the month when they’re out of food and hungry. Hell, you ought to be glad to see them wasting them. Then you can self-righteously shake your finger at them at the end of the week and say “you should’ve bought something different.”

I know, I know. “It is my money-- it’s my tax dollars that are being spent.” I pay taxes too. Some of the money I pay is used to offset the money the government loses by allowing you to deduct your mortgage interest, which in turn allows you to buy a home that you otherwise couldn’t afford. Does the fact that my tax dollars make it possible for you to buy that house give me the right to stand on the sidewalk and cluck my tongue at the color you decide to paint it? Your taxes are a payment to the government for the right to live in this society. Your say in how the government uses that money comes at the voting booth, not in the checkout line.

I’m unclear as to your point, so I’ll take the two themes that I can ferret out: (i) people who get food stamps can still afford $30,000 trucks; and (ii) people who can afford $30,000 trucks (but who may not necessarily be on food stamps) live in dilapidated trailers.

As to the first point, I’m not going to tell you it isn’t wrong, but I will question exactly how prevalent it is. Welfare of any form is intended to be a safety net for people without means. Those who actually have means and nevertheless exploit the system are unethical. I admit that there are some people who do this, but I doubt that they constitute a majority of recipients, or even a substantial minority. The fact that a small number of people abuse an otherwise worthwhile program does not justify opposition to the program as a whole.

As to the second point, again, we’re back to the paternalism aspect. A person of limited means who decides to invest the bulk of their means in a truck instead of tidying up their home has made a different set of choices than you might. They may get the most enjoyment out of their dollars by owning a nice truck than by owning a nice home. Assuming that these people are not somehow unethically using public monies, what right do you have to judge how they choose to spend their own money?

I agree that the system is imperfect. But what are the alternatives that serve the beneficial purposes of protecting people against destitution without the same demoralizing effects? (Careful how you answer, Mr. “charitable donations probably total less than 1/2 of 1% of my income.”) Of course, you can take the social Darwinist position that the poor should be left to fend for themselves, but that probably doesn’t square with a “Conservative, but not right wing” philosophy. The government is constantly tinkering with welfare to remove the de-motivational effects it has, but because you are dealing quite closely with the lives of a vulnerable population, changes should be made slowly and with great care.

Yes. You should be happy to contribute to a society that allows people to make the most of the opportunities they have (as you have), while still protecting those who have had no opportunities or who have made bad decisions against starvation and homelessness. You are entitled to complain about unscrupulous individuals who wrongfully exploit the government, but you should feel privileged to be sharing the fruits of your success with the unfortunate who truly deserve the government’s support.

In principle, yes. I think that social programs for the poor are Good Things™. (As, apparently, do you: “I’m in favor of medicare and medicaid.”) I agree to some extent with you that there is abuse of these systems by a handful of people, and that the programs do not perfectly implement their intended function of providing support instead of creating a way of life. But in the absence of an alternative that achieves the same positive results, I am not going to complain about the system as it exists.

There are many aspects of the government’s tax policies that I do not agree with, but since they tend to fall into the area of tax breaks for coprorations and Strategic Helium Reserves, we’ll have to discuss that another time.

I’ve been meaning to address some other points of your discussion, such as the demagougery of crap like this:

But that’ll have to wa

Nurlman:
Your personal angst is of no consequence to me. However, having now brought myself back up to speed on your posts in this thread, I’m of the opinion that your purpose in this thread is to either bask in your own smugness by protectively cloaking of irony (“I had … no way to avoid a long life of gainful employment and contribution to society.”) or else you are carrying out a dryly satirical version of the “Ask the …” threads posted by people who have legitimate gripes over how they are viewed by part or all of society."

Actually you began in your previous thread by hypothesizing about my motivations, and continue to do so. If it’s of no consequence, why make an issue of it. I’ll be happy to procede in either case, but you cn’t have it both ways.

Since you’ve expressed curiosity, what I’m actually trying to do is make a point and thought it might be fun to do so within the confines of the “Ask the…” format. I am also trying to be true to the format by responding to questions as honestly as I can.

Concerning foodstamps and $30,000 trucks, I would think that anybody with a $30,000 truck probably shouldn’t be receiving public aid. Neither should anybody who has the means to consider the purchase of a luxury foodstuff like Lobster.

"Some of the money I pay is used to offset the money the government loses by allowing you to deduct your mortgage interest, which in turn allows you to buy a home that you otherwise couldn’t afford. Does the fact that my tax dollars make it possible for you to buy that house give me the right to stand on the sidewalk and cluck my tongue at the color you decide to paint it? "

I don’t have a mortgage. Even if I did, you are not subsidizing it. I could only deduct the interest if I gave up the standard deductions and itemized. I would still only get roughly a third of the money back. Buying a home, and paying interest on a morgage are behaviors that benefit society economically both at a local and a federal level. It is in the best interests of the Government to encourage this behavior, as it results in increased revenue to the economy, homebuilding and increased state and local tax revenue. You don’t pay for it. The point is not valid I’m afraid.

“Your taxes are a payment to the government for the right to live in this society.”

That would imply that the government owns society. I thought the Govoernment was supposed to serve society, not the other way around.

“Your say in how the government uses that money comes at the voting booth, not in the checkout line”

Basic economics would suggest that the opposite is true.

“Welfare of any form is intended to be a safety net for people without means. Those who actually have means and nevertheless exploit the system are unethical.”

Agreed.

“The fact that a small number of people abuse an otherwise worthwhile program does not justify opposition to the program as a whole.”

Do you have any data to suggest that welfare has served to alleviate chronic poverty to any degree whatsoever?

“A person of limited means who decides to invest the bulk of their means in a truck instead of tidying up their home has made a different set of choices than you might. They may get the most enjoyment out of their dollars by owning a nice truck than by owning a nice home. Assuming that these people are not somehow unethically using public monies, what right do you have to judge how they choose to spend their own money?”

In your example, I have no right nor desire to suggest how they use their money. On the other hand, somebody who makes foolish choices, and squanders what money they have really doesn’t have any right to dip into the pockets of those who acted wisely, do they?

“But what are the alternatives that serve the beneficial purposes of protecting people against destitution without the same demoralizing effects?”

Sweeping reform is what is needed. Poverty is unpleasant. Attempts to make it pleasant remove the motivation to strive. As has been stated before, woman should not be “paid” to have children they cannot support. There should be motivation instead of penalties for those on welfare who get a job.

Contrary to your statement, the Government is not tinkering with welfare to make it more efficient. Politicians are generally loathe to endorse reform programs that will create distress among their constituents.

Nobody should starve, or sleep outside, or die for lack of medical care in this country.

Social programs though should be tough-love, not a free ride. They are too often the latter.

A couple of interesting quotes from other threads:

“Cafe Mahogany (Harmonie Park/Detroit, MI.) Started the it all 4 years ago. Black-owned,sucessful,and positive.
A local coffehouse, is a showcase for local, poets,artists, and musicians. A vibe that and be called nothing else but “love”. The Cafe was the only bright spot in a dim little circle called Harmonie Park. Other business followed.
Now they are being forced to move(as well as 2 other black-owned business). April 1, 2000 will be the last day.”
“1) Institutional power in the United States–in business, media, and politics–is held by a demographic which is overwhelmingly white, overwhelmingly male, and–most importantly–overwhelmingly wealthy.”

The implication of both these quotes, and one that I feel is reflectd throughout society, and especialy in the news media is that:

Minority + success = good

White male + success = bad

If you’ll grant me the point to see what I’m driving at, my “demagoguery” can probably be boiled down to an objection to this attitude.

Hi W.M.U.M.C.S.C.T.

Thank you for taking my post.

Do you think that there may be another country out there that all the W.M.U.M.C.S.C.T. types will retire in ? But who’d be left to pay all the taxes here ?

“If it’s free, it’s for me !”