Ask Your Doctor

You sound like Louie DePalma. Or maybe that was your intention. Heh, heh, heh.

I’ve straight up asked doctors about certain meds.
But I often ask my doctor’s many many questions.
Yeah…they do hate me.

What’s a doctor? I remember seeing them when I was a child, but now I only see PA’s, NP’s, or assistants of some vaguely defined type. And these only appear as apparitions behind a laptop. As far as I know, I must be on death’s door* or (from QtM) in prison to actually see one of these exalted and hidden beings.

I’m partially serious here, as I ask this question when seeing such ads. Who on this planet actually gets to see a Doctor? I have one listed as my GP, but I (literally) have not seen him in 4 years. As far as I know, he’s perpetually on vacation somewhere and unavailable.

*My cardiologist actually appeared in person during one of my heart procedures. He shouldn’t do this, as the shock could kill a weakened patient.

My guess is that patients are telling their doctors what to prescribe. Lots of people self-diagnose and some are hypochondriacs…lots of money to be made.

My doctor told me one day that drug reps were sending trucks with free food to the hospital but he didn’t think it was ethical. “Dr. Jones will get several plates—and he already had a quadruple bypass!”

So there’s pressure from the patient AND from the drug companies.

I don’t ask my doctor about drug ads. He knows what he’s doing, and if I need that drug, he’ll prescribe it.

For me, the irritating part of drug ads, aside from the unnaturally happy people, is that you have to look quick to see what ailment they hope to ease.

I’ll tell you one thing from experience, though. If a drug says it will make me more likely to get infections, I’m going to steer clear of it. I had a long and dreadful dance with MRSA after a drug weakened my immunity.