Assange cut off

Can’t the Ecuadorans just throw him out if they want?

I would think so, I don’t get the impression his asylum is protected by Ecuadorian law. It’s more a matter of losing face if they yoink it without good political cover. The U.K. and U.S. governments don’t seem to be keen on helping provide such political cover.

Ecuador should evict him and let him hang, or whatever the Brits do to slime like him.

Looks like a maximum of 12 months for jumping bail.

But they could just turn him over to the Swedish for trial for rape.

Yeah, he apparently has to wait until 2020 for that to be gone.

Assange cut off ?!

Then he’d just be an Ass!

My understanding is that the whole Swedish matter has been completely dropped. Now, it’s just the UK that has a warrant out on him for jumping bail, which they had granted to allow him freedom prior to his extradition proceeding for Sweden. He doesn’t want to face that piddling charge due to fear of being rendered over to the US by the UK.

Except the Ecuador government granted him citizenship, so now he probably has a right to their protection. Would kicking him out be possible, under Ecuador law?

I actually have a different question. Let’s say it’s not legal: what recourse would he have if they did it anyway?

In the “it seemed like a good idea at the time” part of that story was trying to get him diplomatic protection. The idea was that he could stop couch surfing, leave the embassy, and just be expelled to Ecuador. The UK wasn’t playing. Oops.

Sort of. They aren’t pushing for extradition anymore but the statute of limitations for the rape charge ends in 2020 and they haven’t said the case is closed.

Well, how does that statute of limitations work? If the charges are filed against a specific person before the date, can trial still be brought?