At the gym--are you social or anti-social?

It’s not even the sweat for me, as the machines at my gym have a little doodad that you can prop your reading material onto so that we don’t drip on what we’re reading. The thing is I’m bouncing around too much when I’m running to be able to read.

Antisocial. Not many people go to my gym anyway (it’s in my apt building) but even if they did, I’m there to work out, not socialize.

My ADD makes it impossible to workout at home. “Here I am on the treadmill/Nordic Track or whatever, going right along but, oh, yeah the washer stopped, I should put those clothes in the dryer, ok back on the machine, oh yeah, forgot to call the firewood guy, let me do that now, alrighty, back to work…”

One distraction after another.

At the gym, I have the advantage of being somewhere that granted has it’s share of visual distractions (multitude of tv’s, spandex clad soccer moms, the basketball or volleyball game being played on the courts… ), but I find I can close that out by plugging in the I-Pod, and listening to music at a volume far too loud for my own good.

So, I’m anti-social to the point that I seldom exchange more than a nod or a smile to people. But the trainers I see all the time, and a lot of the regulars all know each other, so a bunch of people there are all relatively ‘friendly’ with each other, and occasionally, I’ll kill the music to have a quick how ya doin’ with someone. But then it’s back to work.

I am anti social, but my husband is a social butterfly at the gym. I hate when somebody says something to me, because I have my music so cranked up I don’t hear them, so I have to remove an ear bud and ask them to repeat. Totally pops my bubble and I realize I am not at home watching TV and eating cheesesticks.

My husband will go up to people and offer unsolicited advice on using the equipment or will ask to alternate on a machine with a stranger. Me, I won’t even tell you that the treadmill you are getting all comfy on does not work.

Well, asking to work in really isn’t being social; it’s just a perfectly reasonable way to get your workout done.

As for offering unsolicited advice about using the equipment, i’m very wary of doing this because some people get very offended if you imply that they don’t know what they’re doing. I only give advice if i’m asked, or if it’s very clear that the person is having trouble and would welcome some assistance. And, unless asked, i generally restrict my advice to basic stuff about how a particular machine works. The biggest culprit in our gym is the triceps extension machine; plenty of people can’t work out how to grab the handles and position their arms.

Also, having watched other people give advice before, i can confidently say that a significant percentage of people who offer unsolicited advice don’t know what the hell they’re talking about. Some of the suggestions and advice i’ve heard would make your toes curl.

Same here. I don’t even like saying hi to the employees at the front desk. My SO has made lifelong friends there. I think it’s because I usually do machines whereas he works in the weight room where he needs to communicate with people more, in between sets, or ‘spotting’ (I am just guessing here).

Anti-social checking in. Wear my cap low, with my eyes barely visible. Everything about me says, “Leave me alone.”

I would welcome company but I don’t seek it out. Seems like everyone at my gym is either anti-social or has a workout buddy they stick with.

I don’t socialize at the gym at all. I certainly don’t need a distraction while I’m working out, and I don’t even like people talking to me if I’m in the whirlpool or steam room. Fortunately, most of the people at my gym are the same way.

Weekly strength training fixture of my preventive sports club, in the university gym: I do chat a bit with the other regulars, but not much. Some others stand around talking for half to two thirds of the time - that’s not what I go to the gym for.

Commercial gym where I also work out: don’t socialize at all, and I hardly see anyone else talking (apart from very few people who are obviously close friends or couples). For one thing you want to use your time for working out, for another thing when you really push yourself you like to be afforded privacy.

Courteous but antisocial! Have been going at least 12 years, mostly to classes, and I know the name of exactly one non-teacher person (that I didn’t know from elsewhere). I tried going for weights with friends or my SO from time to time but it doesn’t work out that well.

Social before, social after. During? Not so much. Most of the time, this isn’t a consideration since I’m often alone in the tiny gym I use at work. Sometimes I go to the community gym and there are a few people around. That’s when I have interference.

I’m not Japanese, so I stand out and people like to try talking to me. Drives me fucking nuts when they want to talk to me in the middle of my workout. If I’m doing heavy lifts, I’m on a relatively strict work/rest schedule, and that’s when it usually seems to happen. With other protocols I’m doing work pretty much continuously and balls-out, so even the most oblivious will see that I’m not going to talk to them.

I think I’ve spoken to three people at the gym this year.

“Are you using this equipment?”

“Are you using this equipment?”

“I’ll be happy to help you not drop that dumbbell on your head.”