At what temperatures do eyes (surface fluid) and skin freeze?

It gives you much mouth too, and makes you sound really funny when you try to talk :stuck_out_tongue:

Corneas freezing, yes, eyeballs, no, assuming that one would cover protect one’s eyes upon noticing the corneas freezing up.

I don’t either but I assumed the opposite. The salt content of blood is well below ocean levels. Tears seem salty, but I believe they’re not really saltier than other body fluids, but I don’t remember where I heard that. They do come from several glands near the eye though. Thiswiki linkdidn’t help either. I think it would be difficult to concentrate salt in some part of the body like that. The salt would tend to migrate through the cells in the different layers of material that make up the eye.

That’s what, about -25ºC?

We should create a Canadian temperature scale. :smiley:

Yup.

Ha, I was going to say that. When I lived in an area that could get down to -35F in the winter, that was my metric, too: at ~0F, the inside of my nose freezes. Pretty handy poor man’s thermometer. :slight_smile:

What is the salt content of tears and what temperature would water of that salinity freeze at?
What ambient temperature is the eyeball at considering there are no blood vessels in the cornea?

I was sent this one by a Canadian friend of mine :slight_smile:

The Official Canadian Temperature Conversion Chart:

50 Fahrenheit (10 C)
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
Canadians plant gardens.

35 Fahrenheit (1.6 C)
Italian Cars won’t start
Canadians drive with the windows down

32 Fahrenheit (0 C)
American water freezes
Canadian water gets thicker.

0 Fahrenheit (-17…9 C)
New York City landlords finally turn on the heat.
Canadians have the last cookout of the season.

-60 Fahrenheit (-51 C)
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Canadian Girl Guides sell cookies door-to-door.

-109.9 Fahrenheit (-78.5 C)
Carbon dioxide freezes makes dry ice.
Canadians pull down their earflaps.

-173 Fahrenheit (-114 C)
Ethyl alcohol freezes.
Canadians get frustrated when they can’t thaw the keg

-459.67 Fahrenheit (-273.15 C)
Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops.
Canadians start saying “cold, eh?”

-500 Fahrenheit (-295 C)
Hell freezes over.
The Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup.

No, salt concentration in sea water is around 30 g/L, should freeze around -2° C
physiological salt concentration is around 9 g/L, should freeze around -0.7° C

A good brine for protein is 50 g/L. So crying 5.5 times as hard–prepping super onions as CN agent?–and distillation may shorten kitchen time.

What is the maximum tear-exudation rate? Which, come to think of it, is in fact pertinent to OP (as opposed to this point, technically speaking).
For anyone interested, by far the best, longest, and scientifically (within reason) rich info on-line on brining are the Science Behind Brining text and video pages by the chef Jacob Burton.

I have never noticed this. Ive done a lot of winter mountaineering, camped in very cold temperatures for weeks at a time and been on extremely windy ridges where exposed flesh would be in trouble in seconds, and framed houses in -35 (thats before windchill folks).

I guess I am always geared up in such weather and so dont get that kind of chill. Chilled muscle certainly does slow down and when I notice that it means it is time to take action. Have to watch out for that slow chill.

Or maybe I just do not smile enough.

Thanks!

I believe the scale goes (from high to low)

[ul]
[li]Welldigger’s ass[/li][li]Witch’s tit[/li][li]Cold as fuck[/li][li]Freezin’ Ass[/li][/ul]

I played a rugby match when the advertised temp (with wind chill) was -74F (about -60C) and my eyelashes froze shut a couple of times. A couple of morons played with exposed skin on their legs and they were hospitalized for frostbite. The ref was useless because the first time he tried to blow his whistle it froze to his lips!

Hey, a fellow has have goals!

Including wind chill, skiing today was -50 F. Needed a full coverage mask. One of the guys came back in to put a mask on after one run without. Didn’t have frostbite, but was on the verge (white patches) after a two minute run.

Was wandering about in a light fleece sweater at -15 F (no wind) after skiing for about ten minutes bleeding off body heat. No need for skin protection at that temperature for a fairly short time. Wind chill (or lack thereof) makes all the difference in the world – very important to never under-estimate it.