Atheism

Can you point me to a cite that explains that in detail? From what I’ve read, I thought quantum physics was mum of “creation”, just that particles would pop in, i.e., relocate.

That way it sits in my head is that cause and effect mandate what happens in the natural world. To stop the turtling down, there must have been something not subject to those rules, something super-natural. Something God-like.

They most certainly do not “relocate”, any site which told you that is not to be relied upon at all.
[

](http://www.hep.caltech.edu/~phys199/lectures/lect5_6_cas.pdf)

[

](Light created from a vacuum: Casimir effect observed in superconducting circuit -- ScienceDaily)

That’s fine for you to believe, but it’s not logically necessary, and obviously atheists don’t believe it.

I don’t think so- I think Colibri is saying “I don’t believe in God, but I’m not certain as to how the universe got started”.

The question is one’s position on the existence of God, a Creator. And it seems to me that what Colibri offered here describes an agnostic.
[/QUOTE]

No, **Colibri **'s statement doesn’t regard the existence of God but the explanation for a certain phenomenon.

An atheist would say “I don’t know but I’m sure it’s not a god that caused it.”

What does “God-like” mean, exactly? What attributes have to be there for it to fall into the category of “God-like”?

Yes, the OP and yes, I did assume he was talking about the traditional God we all know and love since he calls himself a “Deist.” Until an atheist can prove with absolute certainty that the OP wasn’t talking about the one true Judeo-Christian God then I just have to believe he was. His desire to talk about his Deity didn’t just occur out of nothing.

I don’t think someone even needs to go that far to be considered an atheist. Though perhaps in the common sense of the word “sure”, it might fit- while I’m not 100% sure that Santa Claus didn’t create the universe, my level of conficence that it wasn’t Santa is exactly the same as my level of confidence that it wasn’t God (and it’s close enough to 100% that the difference is all but meaningless).

Yeah, but where did that God-like something come from? If our extant universe can’t just spring into being then why can a god-thing?

This

doesn’t sound too Judeo-Christian Goddish to me.

Because that which we have evidence for(the universe)can’t have always been here, but that which we have no evidence for(God) can.
Can anyone lend me a Tylenol?

As others have pointed out, this doesn’t explain a God being created out of nothing. I highly recommend PBS Nova program Hunting the Edge of Space, Part I and II. You can watch it on-line for free or buy the DVD’s which is what I did.

Physicists say our present understanding of physics and the science behind it allow for a quantum flluctuation that could have caused the BB. No God is necessary to get things going. They also explain that even in the best vacuum possible, no matter how empty that space may be, there is still something in it, and there is no true vacuum. With WMAP they can now give us the best accuracy ever before with the age of our universe with a figure of 13.77 billion years with .4% accuracy.

Here’s the deal, atheists have managed to denigrate religion with many of it’s absurdities. But have they created an ethical system to replace it?

Ayn Rand’s Objectivism at least attempted to build a new ethical system. Do atheists have anything similar?

You, my friend, have found an exceptionally tiny gap to cram your god into.

You are engaging in an age old theological meme. Namely that “god” is that, and only that, which has no explanation. The problem with this theology is that as science advances the gaps get progressively smaller, until, as in your case, there is only one tiny gap left and “god” is reduced to nothing but a cosmic spark plug.

Band name.

It’s called Humanism.

All atheism is is the disbelief in god or gods. It isn’t a club, organization, social movement etc. As an individual that also happens to be an atheist I think that mankind came up with whatever ethical systems that have existed/do exist/will exist.

Which is remarkably similar to standard Western religious ethics, only with less Divine Punishment, almost no “Kill the Unbelievers,” and a recognition that most of the Do-Unto-Others type directions actually are a pretty reasonable starting point for a social species.

As previously noted, “atheists” are simply people who don’t believe in a god or gods- they may not have much in common beyond that. As to an ethical system that meshes with atheism, Secular Humanism fits (also as previously noted).