Atheists. What would you accept as evidence of a divine creator?

I hope you’re including “and free them from their coffins,” there. 'Cause otherwise, ew. Also, if not, how would we know he’d done it?

Muffled thumping?

Bingo! :wink:

Why fart around? How about the classic big bearded guy in a white robe, 500 feet tall, hovering over major cities? I’m sort of serious here. Sensational claims require sensational proof.

If he’s going to be towering over my city, I’d rather he wore white pants.

Just sayin’.

But then we wouldn’t be able to tell if he’s circumcised; surely an important theological question !

Behold the power of the Rod of God.
(from NatLamps Not the Bible, more or less.)

For me, I would accept a guy who had a mortal wound which was healed. After all, who would be like him? Who could make war against him?

Rob

The Highlander, of course.

Or Wolverine. He’s a badass.

Isn’t Muffled Thumping a village in Gloustershire?

Dude, everyone who has had open heart surgery has had a mortal wound which was healed. You don’t even ask that they be able to repeat the feat.

If I were you I would stick out for somebody who can’t be wounded. Even Wolverine might have trouble if filleted into small enough chunks.

Oooh, good point. Well, THEY’d know. You gotta start somewhere.

Here’s what I would accept as proof:

If all those who spread messages of hatred and intolerance in god’s name (Ann Coulter, Pat Buchanan, the entire Phelps clan, Jerry Falwell, James Dobson, the list goes on) suddenly had the words “God Hates Bigots” appear indelibly on their foreheads.

If this happened, I would believe that a god exists, and that he has a sense of humor - I still wouldn’t worship him, though.

Gravity is something that every single person on Earth believes in.

It’s always present here on Earth, responds to every test we make of it and is completely independent of the observer’s personal beliefs.

So God has his standard to live up to.
It’s so simple to prove his existence, you start to wonder why he never does. :smack:

How is it ‘free will’ if we’re not in possession of all the facts? Supposing there is a god, wouldn’t it make sense for him to at least make “God Exists” an undeniable framework on which to hang our behaviours? Anything else is just silly.

If I were broke and stole bread to live because I wasn’t informed that Family Services had a food bank, how is that a ‘free will’ exercise? Given free will - and information! - I’d make the sensible decision to walk to Family Services instead.

God knows everything that ever was and will ever be. He knows what you will do. You have free will? Not logical. Sounds like we are programmed . He may as well skip the world and just punish the people he knows will be wrong doers and save himself a lot of trouble.

Gonzo, that’s such a slam-dunk argument against a prescient God that I can’t imagine it would have escaped the attention of any serious theologian. Surely no one thinks that God is omniscient about the future? Surely all the theologians have backed off to say that God is omniscient about the current state of the world, but doesn’t know what may happen in the future.

Is that right?

I know there are people who are always talking about God’s plan for them, but they’re just the ignorant rank and file theists. Do thoughtful ones believe that?

Or he could have saved even more time and not bothered to create people he was going to program to be wrong-doers. Of course, that would deprive him of the fun of punishing people.
And CurtC, I have seriously heard rank-and-file theists argue that we are allowed to go through the motions of doing predestined evil to show us that we are actually deserving of the punishment. I don’t know if they heard this from a ‘theologian’ (do preachers count?), but this does present that fact that people have actually given this a little thought, and managed to apologize the problem away regardless. (Though it still doesn’t answer why he created people predestined to sin in the first place.)

My sentient existence in a universe of unimaginable complexity is proof enough of God as a concept. What evidence would convince me that God cares about me in particular or humanity in general? God knows.