[QUOTE=Miller]
Where do you think the divisiveness of that commandment comes from? God?
[/QUOTE]
Since the Bible is purportedly “The Word of God”, then I propose that the divisiveness of that commandment comes from God.
Frankly, I’m getting really tired of Christians picking and choosing their interpretation of the bible. They use all the parts they like, and any part they don’t like, or can’t defend, they say, “Oh, well, that’s just a metaphor”, or “The Bible is the Word of God, but it was written by fallible humans, so they must’ve gotten that part wrong.”
If you get to choose how you interpret the bible, why even have it? Just do what you want and be honest about it.
ANYWAY… I believe that religion is, by it’s very nature, exclusionary. I was just using the Christian First Commandment as an example. If humans are the source of religion’s divisiveness, then why bring God into it at all? Either God tells you what to do, and he’s to blame, or humans invented God out of whole cloth and religion is just an excuse to have an exclusive club. Which one ARE you arguing, anyway?
All religions are a club, exclusive to those who adhere to its rules and tenets. Everyone who doesn’t adhere is automatically an outsider (usually described as “damned”).
[QUOTE=Miller]
I argued that divisiveness is an inborn trait in the human species. In disagreeing with that, you pointed to the Ten Commandments of the Old Testament - a book written by human beings. Where do you think the divisiveness of that commandment comes from? God?
[/QUOTE]
Yes, actually. If you believe that God gave you those commandments, then God instituted the divisiveness. If you believe that humans are the source of that divisiveness, how can you insist that the Bible is The Word of God? You can’t have it both ways.