ATM card piracy - how much info is in magnetic strips?

In the UK we changing over to chip and PIN cards. These are supposed to be much more secure than the magnetic strip cards. At point of sale you don’t sign a slip , just input your PIN on a card reader. Is the US going down this same path ?

BTW , you can change your PIN on these new cards on most ATMs.

It’s too inconvenient to have one way encryption. The bank might want to mail out secure envelopes with the clear PIN when they issue the cards.

The encryption of the customer typed PIN often involves formatting in a way dependant on the card number, so if both cards …0001 and …0002 have the same PIN, the encypted values will be wildly different.

Yes. This is what’s known as a debit card transaction, as opposed to a credit card transaction, which does involve a signature.

Both credit card and debit cards in the UK are going over to chip and pin. So neither sort of card will not need a signature. All the information is held on a microchip and not on a magnetic strip. This way there are much more secure.

Sorry for the double negative. That sentence should read “neither sort of card will need a signature” :smack:

Excuse me, but there’s an elephant in this room that no one noticed.

This guy uses card readers that are fake to get the card numbers, correct?
That means that the card reader is NOT connected (linked) to the actual ATM terminal, right?
Now, if the fake card reader is NOT linked to the terminal, then why are people entereing their PIN numbers when there is no way the ATM machine is prompting them to do so?

The article said the cards were used in places other than the machine, like one might need to swipe the card to open the door to the ATM booth.

There’s also these:
http://www.utexas.edu/admin/utpd/atm.html

Take a look at jnglmassiv’s link, there’s a photo of one way this scam works - the thief’s card reader sits right on top of the ATM’s card reader. Your ATM card passes right through the fake one (where it’s scanned) and into the ATM. Then the camera captures you typing in your PIN, and they have all the data they need.

Putting the reader on the door is clever too though - I hadn’t heard of that before. A lot easier to mess with the door lock than to mold a peice of plastic that blends in with the ATM.

Especially since its just a simple circuit you have to get working. A single signal to buzz the door.

Many of the card access door buzzers I’ve seen at ATM booths seem to not read the card at all. It instead just looks for ANY magnetic card. I once noticed the door seemed to buzz before I pushed the card even most of the way in. I tried it with supermarket discount card and then with a paper subway pass. All of them open the door. A clever crook could remove the real card reader, install his own with logging or wireless capability and easily wire it to buzz the door.