Attacking Marine guards at Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

You mean kinda like this? :smiley:

*Seeking a lightweight replacement for the M1 Garand and the M1918A2 BAR, the Army selected the M14 rifle in 1957. The M14 was basically a product improved M1 Garand. The M14 has an effective range of 500 yards (460m). The M14 uses a standard NATO 7.62mm cartridge in a 20-round magazine. The M14 was the standard Army infantry rifle, until replaced by the mass fielding of the M16 5.56mm rifle in 1966-1967. The M14 was also converted into a Sniper Rifle (M21).

The M14 is the standard ceremonial weapon used by the 3d U.S. Infantry (The Old Guard) today, and is the current weapon carried by Tomb Guards.*

Source: Tombguard.org

That doesn’t look silly at all.
Point goes to Freedom. Terrorists still at 0.

In a very loud, scary, authoritative voice, he said we WILL remain quiet and respectful or WE WILL be removed from the area, etc., etc. I don’t think he threatened bodily harm, but he certainly got everyone’s attention. And it sounded like it wasn’t the first time he had to go off on someone.

I think they carry loaded guns, but I seriously don’t think they could do anything with them unless someone actually attacked the tomb or something.

Is there any evidence for the guards carrying loaded weapons? Anybody actually see a loaded magazine seated after the inspection? Anything on their website? Anybody here ever serve as a guard? Frankly, I’d be stunned to find out the guards have loaded weapons. Army guards of any type with actual loaded weapons are a surprisingly rare creature. The sgt. of the guard may have a loaded weapon, or quick access to one, but I very, very strongly doubt the guys out marching in front of the tomb do. IIRC, they aren’t wearing any kind of magazine pouches, either; so they aren’t even carrying a loaded magazine on their person much less in the weapon.

Well, the M-14 is carried with the bayonet affixed, so there is a potent weapon available to the guard if needed.

After 9/11 when I was activated for Operation Noble Eagle I had a moment when I thought, “Holy shit they are giving us ammo.” Things are different now. When I first joined it was rare for a guard to have ammo. Not so much anymore. IIRC there is only one guard at the tomb at one time. However each shift is not very long (30 minutes maybe or 20?). The remainder of the guard shift is in a room less than 100 feet away. If the the guard on duty does not have a loaded weapon I would guess that there would be a squad of pissed of soldiers a short distance away, with ammo.

Scumpup here is a video of the inspection. (look at clip A58-110) No magazine. No ammo. Nothing saying that there isn’t ammo close by. There are those little booths they use when it is raining.

Arlington is a national cemetery run by the military; neither it nor the Tomb of the Unknown soldier are National Parks. It is a military installation. Arlington House is run by the NPS as an historic house, but not the cemetery nor the tomb.

Question is, are the guards authorized to shoot zombies?

Oh, yes.

The warning given before each ceremony is “It is requested that everyone maintains a level of silence and respect.” If the crowd gets all murmury, the guard will repeat the warning louder and more forcefully.

Murmuring zombies? :wink:

Had they actually been Hindu statues, there would have been a lot of reaction from millions of Hindu’s, rest assured.

Those were actually Buddhist statues. Hence no push back, protest, hew or cry.

Actually, there were protests beforehand, and later international commitments to rebuild them: Buddhas of Bamiyan - Wikipedia

Damn thought I had the last word back in 2007.

Shut up, and stay off the plaza.

Related thread: What would happen if a tourist (or worse) got disrespectful at the Tomb of the Unknowns (Arlington)? - Factual Questions - Straight Dope Message Board

Well, there’s a slightly less-well-known monument, The Tomb of the Guy Who Disrespected The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Nobody visits.

Not true, Arlington National Cemetary is not a national park. It is not owned and operated by the national park service in any way shape or form, arlington is owned and operated by the Department of The Army and is a military installation that falls under Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall and is protected and patrolled by US Army Military Police and Department of the Army Federal police and not by national park police. As for the tomb sentinels, they are like any other Guard sentinel on any other military installation and do have the power to use deadly force in the event of a deadly attack that’s covered in their general orders however as this post is mainly ceremonial there is always DA police or MP’s around to handle incidents with the public and unless a terrorist came up with a suicide vest on to blow the tomb you would never see the guards use force they would leave that to the officers to take care of.