Avoiding bottom-of-foot blisters in light hiking

These socks are great:

They combine the inner and outer socks in one unit, and are guarenteed “no blisters for 1000 miles”. Since buying a couple of pairs I’ve not had a single blister.

This has all been fascinating, thanks! Lots of advice I will try.

I have long suspected calluses would be bad for blisters. If you are wearing away your fingertips, a callus should provide a tougher wear surface. But if the problem is shearing between layers of skin, seems like a callus just makes an uglier block on the exterior side of the shear, which wouldn’t help. I’d like to get more info on this.

In years past I’ve occasionally gotten a blister somewhere other than on the bottoms of my feet, and attributed it to shoes/boots that were not the right shape for me. I bought one of those tools that looks like a long pair of pliers or tongs, but with the business ends being a ball and a ring. You use these to bump out spots on the shoe or boot, like where your toe joints or ankles stick out. The tool can be worked again and again and again, and also has a clamp so you can apply it and leave it applied overnight, which sets the bumpout into the leather. It is an excellent method of adjusting shoes for a better fit.
???
What retail chains carry the most hiking footwear in stores where one can try them on?
???

It depends on where you live. Mid-atlantic means you should be able to find an Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) or REI somewhere close by. Give yourself some time, at least 30 minutes to an hour, to try on boots. Remember – the best boots are the ones that fit your feet. Some brands won’t fit certain feet, there are several brands that are excellent boots but I just can’t wear them.

Make sure to have wiggle-room for your toes. Your toes should not quite touch the front of boot when the toe of the boot is bent.