B. C. Sunday Strip, and Johnny Hart's patience

av8rmike—Thanks for the link. Hart really IS nuttier than a fruitcake. Yikes!!

Just the fact that he carves the messages on a rock which then floats across the sea is too stupid for words…

Yeah – every time someone gets married on TV, it’s always a bizarre pagan ritual out in the woods, not in a proper church or anything. And you never have any Christmas specials on TV, or scenes with characters decorating trees or putting up menorahs. And what about that famous episode of WKRP In Cincinnati, where the characters all taunted the new Christian employee until he got scared away?

In short, :rolleyes:

Hey, Doug Bowe

Once upon a time there was a comic strip called “Pogo” by Walt Kelly…

Once upon a time there was a comic strip called “Bloom County” by Berke Breathed…

Once upon a time there was a comic strip called “Calvin & Hobbes” by Bill Watterson…

Looks like Al Capp wasn’t the only comic strip artist to get “old and egotistical” and start using his strip as a soapbox.

Originally posted by rjung

Isn’t that interesting! I refused to watch WKRP in Cincinnati because I was annoyed with the premise–a “sedate” music station turning to rock to attract listeners. (Well, maybe the people who would rather listen to “sedate” music can take a flying leap for the moon and get bent? :mad: )
But maybe I should have seen this episode, as it would give me more ammunition for my claim that religion is the studied target of various media, and movies, whose aim is to represent anything religious as dated, duped, fanatical, reactionary, or blindly opposed to science.
I remember Father Mulcahy on MASH* whether Hornberg’s original novel mentions the priest of the 4077th or not, the TV series usually portrayed Mulcahy as weak–glasses, falsetto voice, etc.
In any case, I am glad to see Johnny Hart stand up against the prevailing sentiment, which as far as I am concerned is itself a “soapbox.”
Whose ox is being gored?

I have no problem with Hart promoting whatever mythology he wants, he should be able to have his characters worship the Great Pumpkin if he wants. I just doubt a strip could be critical of religion without being hounded off the page with thousands of “but what about the children!” letters.

Revtim, with a snide, spitting reply such as that, I would have no problem mustering a barbed response questioning your parents’ marriage, your prejudices, or your background in civilized discourse.
And while you’re at it, tell me about Piltdown Man.

Chill out Dougie, surely you realize that a religion is simply a mythology that people still believe? And mythology is simply religion people don’t believe in anymore. Are you careful to not call ancient Roman beliefs in Zeus and such as mythology because someone somewhere out there might still believe in it?

I haven’t done anything with BC except wrap up gefillte fish since the mutating menora of last Passover. Er, Easter.

I don’t care for BC’s religious bent, and I didn’t get it either. It made me think that Hart was an ignorant cartoonist.

The Romans didn’t believe in Zeus, they believed in Jupiter.

Originally posted by Retvim

What’s next: Religion is the opiate oif the masses?
Be sure to ask Josef Cardinal Mindszenty about that. Or Mencken, or Stalin, or Lenin…
You really ticked me off slipping the word “mythology” into the earlier post. That is as subtle as a seat breeze.

Hastur wrote:

Yeah, I know this guy who claims to be a Catholic, but he doesn’t believe in Jesus, he believes the messiah was some guy called, “Hey Sue.”

Allah save me from Heathens.

This is getting out of hand.
I don’t give a rat’s ass what you guys believe in, just don’t get in my face with it.

I’m sorry you are offended, but that is simply my belief; I consider all religions mythology. I didn’t mean it as a shot at you, don’t take it personally.

And I’m not going to never mention my belief simply because you find it offensive. I suggest you work on being tolerant of those who have belief systems different from your own.

And what the hell is a “seat breeze”?

OK, I just got that “seat breeze” = fart, never mind.

500 points for the first person to bring up hitler. hell, we’ve already had them damn pinko marxists.

“Hitler!”

Do I get my 500 points? How many points before I c’n get that toaster?

Originally posted by Postcards

Have you ever heard of pumice (volcanic rock)? :slight_smile:
Revtim, what you do or don’t believe doesn’t concern me, except so far as you believe that it is proper to impugn other people’s intelligence by suggesting they accept “mythology” as fact. The inference I draw from your postings is, You may believe as you see fit, but I will stick with the facts; therefore you are ignorant and I am enlightened.
This is scarcely any better than the crude insults I was treated to when I was in junior high school. I don’t assume that the SDMB is peopled with 12- and 13-year-olds.

“I remember Father Mulcahy on MAS*H whether Hornberg’s original novel mentions the priest of the 4077th or not, the TV series usually portrayed Mulcahy as weak–glasses, falsetto voice, etc.”

That’s a crying shame. You seem to be a man of no little faith, but you saw this ongoing portrayal of a priest in such a negative light…I’ve always been pretty much agnostic and I have no love whatsoever for organized religion, but I was always more impressed by Father Mulcahy’s ability to hold on to his faith in the face of war, adversity, and death on all sides.

Rather than concentrating on his weaknesses, I thought the show did a beautiful job with his many strengths. Perhaps you are concentrating on the wrong things.

Back to the OP…I used to be a gigantic fan of “B.C.,” because my dad had several paperback compilations. I’m sort of glad now that I didn’t keep up with it after my childhood. There are enough people giving Christians a bad name without bringing zealotry to the funny-pages.