Babysitting advice for bratty 4 year old

Quite frankly, my advice is not to babysit these kids. But if that is not an option . . . .

It sounds to me like the kid needs attention. So incorporate him into your day. Let him help with his sister, let him help you with chores or cooking if you’re doing some (or let him sit at the counter and watch you). Take him for walks, play games with him, read him books. Kids at that age are sometimes not good at amusing themselves, as others have already said. And over-reliance on the Glowing Babysitter (the TV) is IMO not a good idea – the kid gets wired and hyper and his behavior does not improve.

“Continue” to hit you? Hitting you or anyone else is not okay. If he does it once grab his hands if necessary, look him in the eye, tell him firmly that hitting is not okay and if he does it again he will be in time-out. Then follow through. Every time he does it. Tantrums, screaming, crying be damned. Same deal for getting into stuff or taking the baby’s stuff. Failure to listen to you – look him in the eye, tell him that when you tell him something he will have the count of three to do it, or he will be in time-out. Give him a directive (politely, like “please pick up your toys now”) and if he doesn’t, count off “one – two – three” loundly and firmly and if he doesn’t obey – time-out.

Ask him at some point during the day – not at bedtime – “what would make bedtime easier for you? Because you got really upset last time.” You can guide him with suggestions: I will leave the door open this much, okay? We could read one story to you after you brush your teeth, would that be better? I can sit with you for some minutes after you turn off the light; how many minutes would be good? (Then you take up an kitchen timer to mark off that time and when it bings you leave, after one last hug and kiss). Get his buy-in on the plan during the day, making it seem like it’s his idea, and he may be more willing to follow it at night because he will feel more in control of what is happening to him. Worst case scenario, he screams for 10 minutes. Bedtime is not negotiable.

Remove yourself from the couch and take the baby with you. You don’t have to stay where he can crawl on you.

Fake crying: “Are you tired? Do you need to go to your room for a little nap?” Not threatening but with real concern. The answer will of course be NO. Then ask him what’s wrong. He’ll have to come up with something. Address that issue and then tell him, now I have to deal with the baby for a while but they we’ll [play a game/ read a book/ whatever].

Grabbing you: If he’s explaining it as trying to hug you, say “Oh! Well, you can’t grab me because I might fall down and hurt myself, but you can certainly have a hug anytime you want one, just ask!” Then give him a hug. If he grabs you again, tell him that you’ve already explained that he can’t do that because you might get hurt, and if he does it again it’s a time-out. Third time: time-out.

In my world, a kid who intentionally shit himself out of spite would find himself in a none-to-warm shower to be cleaned off, followed by a session of cleaning his own clothes with whatever assisance was necesary from me – TP’ing off the undies, rinsing them in cold water in a bucket, putting them in the washer, adding the soap, and turning the washer on. None of this would be done in a loud or punishing way, but the process would not be fun and my disapproval would be pretty apparent. Then he would find that he had lost privileges not as a punishment but because “I don’t think you’re old enough to do that. You pooped your pants and only really little kids do that.” Again, nothing obviously punishing or done in anger, but demonstrating that if you act like a baby you will be treated like a baby. I doubt it would happen many times.

If he can’t amuse himself and you’re the sitter, then you have to amuse him. Take him and the baby for walks. Take them to a park and let him run around. Let him/make him help with chores. Let him help you with the baby. (“She’s kind of fussy again. What can we do to entertain her? Let’s try to make her laugh!”) Bake cookies. Play games. Read books. I’m not directing this at you Roses, but ISTM that a lot of times people think “babysitting” is that the sitter sits on his or her ass reading a book while the kids take care of themselves. It isn’t, and they won’t. The sitter has to entertain the kids, not just make sure they don’t set themselves on fire.

ADA: Affection, Discipline, Activity. And consistency in all three. That’s how you do it. Or else you don’t babysit for them anymore, which as I said initially would probably be my choice.

Get a Super-Soaker.

Squirt the little S.O.B. right in the face every time he gives you shit.

Non-injurious, & he will stop giving you shit.

Duct tape and Chloroform :wink:

I am going through rough patch myself with a 3 1/2 year old at bedtime. Mine has started acting up purposefully to stall. That is, he knows hitting gets him put in time out, and time out = not going to bed. So he hits me (or throws a toy, or whatever) and says, “I need to go in time out.” Repeat.

Obviously a punishment does not work if it is his desired outcome, so after a few nights I had to rethink (it’s harder than it seems outsmarting a 3 year old sometimes! :slight_smile: ) “What is the goal here and how can we adjust to make it easier on everyone?”

First I told him that when he hits at bedtime, he gets toys put in time out for the next day. Last night this resulted in half his stuff getting put away for a day, but I think he finally got the idea. When he did something extra good today (potty without being asked, being a good helper, etc.) I would reward him by allowing him to choose a toy out of time out. He had to earn them back.

Now tonight I wanted to give him a reason to behave all throughout the bedtime routine. He likes to read books together, and always begs for one more. So I told him to choose 3 books. After he put his pajamas on, we read one. Then he had to go potty, brush his teeth, and we read another one. Finally after he was sucessfully tucked in and calm, we read the final one together in bed. It seemed to work…there were a few moments where I could see the old habits coming back but I kept reminding him that he wanted the last book and praised him for how well he was doing. He did much better (not perfect yet, but improved.) He still cried as I closed the door, but it lasted maybe 1 minute instead of the 10 minutes scream fest I had been getting.

Part of your problem is that you need the cooperation of the parents. Kids rely on routine and stability and it sounds like he is not getting that. If you try a few tactics and nothing seems to help, I would have a talk with a parent and see if they are willing to make a more stable schedule and routine along with you.

I sympathize - it is hard enough dealing with stuff like this when it is your own kid, I wouldn’t do it for someone else’s! That’s why I am not the type to be able to do childcare for other people. God bless those who can.

Oh, and the different reaction to your boyfriend is pretty normal. Our son behaves differently for my husband and me, as well as his daycare provider and grandparents. It is often the worst for the primary giver, or when they are adjusting to new situations. I think sometimes my son gets tired of his best behaviour for daycare and/or grandparents and takes it out on me when he gets home. Or else he re-tests me to see what the rules are. After a long weekend with his grandma, I have to practically put the kid through boot camp so he remembers that I don’t spoil him like grandma does.

He’s got 2 father-figures right now, both his father and his stepfather, who’s been in the picture for almost 2 years. He’s always adored me, even when he’s being bad. My name was one of the first things he learned to say after the requisite Mama, baba, etc. I think the problem is the 2 new siblings. Just as he was getting used to the new sister, his dad had a new baby too, so he’s definitely not getting the attention he used to. His dad, although he only sees him on the weekends, is very much a part of his life. This family, as crazy as it seems, is very close. For example, he broke his leg recently, and after the cast came off had some issues which required a second emergency room visit. I watch baby sis while Mom takes him to ER, dad and step-dad (who work together) both get off work early to come to hospital, and step-mom and new brother swing by to make sure everything’s ok too. All one big happy family, oddly enough.

It wasn’t as bad before, when his sister was pretty immobile and slept more often. Now she’s crawling and learning to walk and teething, so I can’t take my eye off her unless she’s napping or in the playpen. Unfortunately, when her teeth hurt, all she wants is to be held, and sometimes she’s not even happy unless we’re walking around.

OK, more to respond to, but gotta go for the time being. To be continued.

I have to disagree on one small point. I would suggest time out or punishment (IE taking away a favorite toy or game) the first time he hits. “No free hits.”

As ironic as this sounds, this makes things make so much more sense. Kids act out to the people they care about the most, the ones who they feel most secure with. Usually, this is the parent, picking the kid UP from daycare. I suspect that in his current turmoil, it’s you. He loves you and he feels safe enough with you to be a little shit. He feels like you’ll love him no matter what, so all the anger and resentment he’s holding towards his parents and his sisters right now is getting expressed all over your kneecaps. Poor little thing. He’s already figured out that if he’s bad, Daddy leaves. Maybe Mommy, too. But you won’t leave - see how bad he’s treated you, and you’re still coming over. So you’ve become the punching bag.

My other advice stands - get him off the TV and more active one on one - but you might also want to work with him on expressing and redirecting his anger. If this is beyond the scope of your experience, then he really needs to see a therapist for a while who can teach him, his parents and you how to consistently work with him (you mentioned Mom said he shat himself in Time Out for her, too, so this isn’t completely your duty) so he learns how to express his feelings and be heard without causing more stress.

I know, therapy for a 4 year old sounds ridiculous. But he’s been through a really rough time at possibly the worst developmental stage possible. A 4 year old should not be shitting to make a point. Plus, most therapy for kids is really parental training in disguise. There are other ways to teach him, but I can’t really offer more concrete suggestions without spending time with him. A therapist can do that.

OK, on to some of the other points.

Yes, I disapprove of the amount of TV he watches, but go along with it because he’s used to it. I’m also disappointed by the lack of reading in the house- not a lot of story time with this guy, which stinks. I remember having The Cat in the Hat memorized when I was his age, and loved to pretend to read it to my mom. When his sister was smaller, like I said, she took very little of my attention, so I could play with him more and he wouldn’t act up quite so much (although you could still tell he was jealous whenever I had to feed the baby, etc.)

I appreciate the advice about more activities. I’d forgotten exactly what my niece and I did when I babysat her, I just remembered that she was much better behaved. Now that I think about it, though, I do remember lots of story time, and dance time (she really enjoyed the Ramones and the Clash) and the never-fail trick when I was exhausted- art time. It was easier too because I lived with my sister and niece, so I had a much better understanding of rules and expectations. Plus my sister used to push me to make my niece a super-genius, so I taught her French numbers and colors and stuff like that.

I guess it’s just easier when there’s only one at a time. Or like the days when my boyfriend comes along too, he’s happy to play with the toddler if the baby needs something.

I think more activities are in order. I know that for his birthday, I got him a bunch of that magic paint, markers, and paper from Crayola where the markers/paint only mark on the paper, not all over the walls. I’ll have to dig that out of his closet. And they just moved into a house with a huge fenced-in yard, running around back there will probably wear him out too.

He’s pretty good most of the time, it is really just attention-seeking bad behavior, which I understand. If fun activities, less TV, and time-outs don’t cure him, I think I’ve found another possible way to get good behavior out of him. Turns out he’s afraid of the two lovebirds they have if they’re out of the cage. Last night his mom jokingly said if he didn’t eat all his dinner, she was going to let the birds out. Well, he ate it. Reminds me of what my parents used to threaten me with- they said I’d been dropped on their doorstep by gypsies, and if I didn’t behave, they’d send me back. :wink:

It’s not totally ridiculous. He has had a lot of upheaval from an early age- his parents divorced when he was only 18 months old, and although it is a very amicable separation, he still had to move to a new house without daddy when he was barely talking. That’s when the behavior problems started. I used to babysit then, and he refused to sleep in the new house. He cried all night, and if I curled up in his mom’s bed with him until he fell asleep, then put him in his crib, I’d get about five minutes of quiet before he woke up and realized he was alone again. “Babysitting” then was really more like sleeping next to him until his mom got home.

He got better once things settled down, until both parents remarried and had new babies at virtually the exact same time. Now no matter whose house he’s at, he doesn’t get undivided attention anymore. I guess I just need to give him more attention when I have the chance. If his sister’s not fussing because of her teeth, she’s much happier left to her own devices because she is so determined to figure out this walking thing.

About the TV, how should I broach that subject with mom? If I had my way, he’d get no TV at all and never would have. I don’t even let his sister face the TV when she’s in her high chair munching on crackers. It’s been pretty well established that TV is Bad and Reading is Good for toddlers, but is it my place to say anything?

Here’s the answer to all your problems.
Trust me. You want to click on this link.

Well, how solid is your friendship? :smiley: You can always make suggestions, but of course it’s up to her to make the final decisions. Maybe you could just tell her you were talking to a friend, or someone on a message board, who had a child who was having similar behavior problems (huh, and I just realized my bratty kid was about 14 months when his father died and now at 3 has a new baby brother, so there are a LOT of parallels here) who found that severely limiting television really helped, and she’s suggesting you all give it a try for a few weeks and see what happens. Then have lots of other suggestions ready for what he can do instead - you had some great ones two posts ago.

The thing is, TV is easy. As a mom, I get that, I really do. You plunk 'em down, if you’re feeling cuddly you snuggle up next to them and that’s that. Blissful silence and smiles for the next hour. So it might be a hard sell to her for the days when she’s with him. BUT - when you babysit, it’s your rules. Everyone says “kids need consistency” and to some extent that’s true, but kids can also understand that different people have different rules and that’s okay. You don’t always have to be consistent with her rules, but you do have to be consistent with your own rules. So even if you can’t get her to turn off the tube when you’re not there, you still control it when you are there. And who knows? If it works and he learns some new favorite games and how to amuse himself from you, then maybe she won’t be so quick to turn it on when he’s with her.

I don’t think you have to say anything, but IMO when you’re the one in charge it’s your rules (for stuff like activities, not for major house rules). For me as an auntie, when I come over and sit the TV gets turned off and it tends to stay off. The key is to be willing to fill the time with other fun activities instead, so that it’s not just kids being bored to death with nothing to do and no TV, because that’s not an improvement.

My brother is a single dad. His kids watch a lot of TV and play a lot of video games, because that’s what they’re used to and it’s easier for him. Like WhyNot, I completely understand that, though I don’t think it’s ideal. I don’t think it’s my place to try to tell him TV is Bad and Reading is Good; he’s doing the best he can. But when I’M in charge, the TV is off. They know that Jodi and Dad have different rules, but that Jodi will play with them or do activities with them or take them places, so honestly I don’t think they mind. And it’s not like I walk in the door and switch it off; if they’re in the middle of something short, I let them finish, and if after a long day they want to watch a show, that’s okay. But not “All TV, All The Time.” I don’t think that requires a heart-to-heart with the parent; you just do it.

Oh, and the lovebirds: I can’t tell if you were joking or not, but I have to say that I think it’s really not a good idea to threaten a child with something he or she is genuinely fearful of, in order to get them to behave. And since this child apparently adores you, I don’t really think you want to be that person, the one who scared him. Apologies if you were joking.

No, that was a joke. Although my parents really did threaten to call the gypsies to come pick me up. I guess the difference is that I didn’t have a real fear of gypsies coming to take me away before my parents started saying that, but I do remember hearing that when I was being really bad. Even my older sibling were in on it. Funny how our ideas of what’s acceptable parenting change.

That’s a common sign around Ren Faire: “Unattended children will be sold to the gypsies.”

I recently found one I like even better, at a little bookstore/coffee shop in Asheville: “Children left unattended will be given a free espresso and a kitten.” :smiley:

When I was a kid, the most popular advice for child behavioral improvement was called a Razor Strop.

I’m not advocating corporal punishment, or tiny tot beat downs.

Just my $0.02’s worth.

You know what I forgot to suggest? Maybe you could bring this up with mom: Awhile ago, our lovely children were picking up some bad habits, and I was sure that they didn’t really notice how miserable they were being. So I made a behavior chart on a white board, with the seven days of the week. There are 4 magnet colors, depicting degrees of good and bad behavior.

Bad magnets:
Yellow - General misbehavior, or ignoring adults directions (pick it up. Pick it up! PICK IT UP!)
Red - Really bad, such as biting, hitting (or in your case shitting themselves), tantrum throwing.

Good magnets:
Green - Doing what they are supposed to do, chores, homework, without having to be reminded.
Blue - Doing something extra good, like helping their brother with their homework, or taking down their laundry without being asked, or diffusing a situation with a sibling on their own.

They can visually see on the board how good they’ve been and how good they haven’t been. You’d be surprised how far you can get with a “You’re going to get a yellow/red…” You’d also be surprised how much they want that blue magnet.

Also, three reds in a week for one and there’s no video games for any of the three for one week. (I know it sounds unfair, but it takes two to make a fight, doesn’t it). If there’s no reds in the week, we go to the store and they can get one comic book (sneaky way to get them to read).

I also write the month’s worth of appts. on the board. I love my white board. I really love my white board.

I know how you feel, i am twelve years old and have to babysit two really childish children that always make me feel like i want to punch through the wall:smack:… but i have found that on netflex, there is an episode of good luck charlie called “the charlie whisperer” (you don’t need to watch it) but i started this thing with my little sister that when you talk calmy to them, then say for me, and bat your eyes, it works well for her.

Now for the boy… they can be harder to help… but if you just talk to them in a calm voice and ask him what is wrong… even if you know what is wrong… it makes them feel a little more respected. When my sister was first born, my brother was about the same age and acted just as bad… but if you take and let him know that he was just like the baby, that he needed a lot of attention, and tell him its not always fun being older… because you have to eventually have to do that a lot… and tell him that you always thinking of him… he might feel like you compleatly forgot about him.

my little brother and little sister used to be enimies… but now they are like best friends :smiley:

This gives me flashbacks to “We Need To Talk About Kevin”, a movie that still haunts me. :frowning:

Somehow it amuses me to think that this boy is now the same age as kittyarea.

Moderator Note

The minimum age to post here is 13. Please contact us again when you reach this requirement and your suspension will be lifted.