Bad Drive Boston: your least favorite Boston-area intersections/rotaries...

Cowards, the whole lot of you! I have stared this city’s roads in the eye and they blink first every time. The Fresh Pond Rotaries? Mere trifles, mention them not. Storrow Drive? Reverse curves make me smile. The Lower Deck? The shade is nice in the summer. I have seen a city bus run a red light and I have seen a hearse cut across three lanes of traffic on 128. My daily commute takes me through the third-worst rotary in the state. And at Newton Corner I go from Charlesbank to the Pike westbound, merging four lanes to the left, across two intersections, in a tenth of a mile, all while singing along with the car radio.

Now go forth! With steel in your spine and a pure heart, it can be done.

Me too! Where’d you go, lno?

As a pedestrian, I once got sideswiped by a car while crossing the intersection of Beacon St. and Mass. Ave. The idiot was making a left hand turn and wasn’t paying attention. Hurt like hell. So I guess that would be my least-favorite intersection.

But god, do I miss Boston.

I have an old copy of the ‘Boston Driver’s Handbook’ which describes, with diagrams no less, the utter chaos that is the intersection of Harvard and Comm Ave in Brighton. Anything goes there. Those lights are only suggestions.

I was amazed to find that I had done at some point all the insane manuevers listed in the book, save one, which involved making a left turn into oncoming traffic from at least three cars back, using the first car turning as cover and cutting it off at the last second. I can’t wait. I’ve been thinking somewhere on Jamacia Way, four lanes, no divider…

I particularly don’t like Cambridge. The only ticket I’ve gotten in three years here is at the corner of Harvard and Memorial. And since I refuse to pay more than a buck for parking, I have to fight to find anything.

Bad parking areas in Boston. I can think of a few!

Besides Harvard, I think the absolute worst parking hellhole is in Brighton near Cleveland Circle. Now I’m your average parallel parker, but how do those guys get their cars so close to one another? And how do they get out again? I mean, it’s a solid wall of metal along both sides of the street.

Also, never ever park on the street in the North End.

You are brave people, all. Now, Boston drivers get a bad rap, but they’re no worse than drivers towards the RI border…traffic is not the reason I’ve only driven once through Boston. I’m terrified of the Tobin bridge (well, all bridges, but that one in particular) so I’m proud of myself for holding together long enough to get over it the one time I ended up driving through Boston as a teenager- I accidentally got on the mass pike somehow from 495 after overheating, eek!

I think I’ll be happy to continue to drive through Boston as a passenger only. Unfortunately I can’t id any roads, but the drive from the airport to south sation always made me feel bad for the busdriver.

oops. “station” you know.

I hate the the Wellington Circle intersection in Medford. Geez, it’s like 4 rotaries with overlapping sections, and a few lights sprinkled in just to confuse things.

I make the daily drive from Medford to Quincy, so I get to sit on 93 for a good 2 hours a day. It doesn’t really bother me though, you’re barely moving at all, so how nasty can things really get?

My personal least favorite is the intersection of Causeway, Commercial, and North Washington at the base of the bridge to Charlestown. It simply cannot be crossed easily as a pedestrian. Basically, there is a steady stream of trucks coming across the bridge and turning right onto Causeway. No matter what the light says, they just don’t stop. Ever.

I’d like to see what it would be like if the old Haymarket intersection was still around. Washington/North Washington Street, Merrimac Street, Cross Street, Sudbury Street, Haverhill Street, Union Street, Blackstone Street, and Canal Street all converging in one area.

As for the Washington Street thing, I have a copy of a map from 1722 showing Summer and Winter Streets with the same names they have now. But there is certainly a tendency for streets to change names when crossing it. I think the Worcester Street/Worcester Square one is even more confusing. Several streets keep the same names when crossing Washington, though. Examples would be Mass. Ave., Melnea Cass, East Berkeley and Herald (and to be even more confusing, the last two change names when they cross Tremont two blocks from Washington).

Also annoying is streets that follow unpredictable paths, such as Tremont and Commercial.

And there’s the sheer hell of Atlantic Ave., Purchase St., and Surface Rd. in the vicinity of the Big Dig. Especially Dewey Square at rush hour when seventy million people are trying to walk to South Station at the same time another seventy million are trying to drive through the same spot. And as mentioned, it never seems to be the same configuration of roads for more than a month. Also, sections of roads are paved not with smooth asphalt, but with concrete slabs with large seams between them. Also, the areas that are asphalt occasionally get sinkholes where you can probably see the Big Dig workers underground.

And of course there’s the one way streets downtown that make navigation impossible for the unintiiated. Example: Toget from the corner of Washington Street and Temple Place to the One Beacon Street loading dock by car, you need to take Temple to Tremont, head away from One Beacon three blocks, take a left onto Boylston, which then becomes Essex when you cross Washington, turn left onto Chauncy, which becomes Arch when it crosses Summer, then turn left onto Franklin, then right onto Washington, then left onto Court Street, left again onto Tremont again, then simply merge across four lanes and you’re there. By foot you simply walk down Tremont from Temple Place to One Beacon Street, which is about four blocks away.

And the Jamaicaway also deserves a mention for its insane narrowness. Two lanes in each direction, traffic moving at 40 mph, separated by mere inches, no shoulders, and rather twisty as well.

Lastly, Huntington Ave. has been overlooked, which ought to be addressed. Again, no shoulders, but this time there’s trolleys in the middle of the road, and the most jaded jaywalkers I’ve seen anywhere. I’ve seen people sauntering lazily across the road in the middle of the night with nary a concern for the thought that there might be cars on it. And the Ruggles Street intersection is particulary bad, as there’s several seconds between when the light turns green and when the cross traffic finally makes it out of the intersection. And that’s assuming that it isn’t one of the days the road narrows to only one lane due to construction.

It’s rather amazing that with the amount of construction going on constantly on the roads, nothing ever seems to get fixed.

Oh, and Monday’s going to be real fun, what with the Boston Marathon and the Red Sox day game.

Howyadoin,

I’ll keep this simple… anywhere there used to be a rotary that has been replaced with a standard set 'o lights. Riley Plaza in Salem, AVCO circle in Everett, there are others, but I’ll spare you the details.

Rotary intersections are one of God’s finest creations, and I’d rather see the Frog Pond turned into a skate park than lose Broadway Circle or the Rt. 1/Rt. 60 interchange in Revere or Grant and Blackburn Circles in Gloucester. Every time one of these classics gets dismantled, it makes the baby Unser cry.

Watching baffled turistas trying to negotiate Riley Plaza with rented 40-foot RVs while I was hanging out in Dunkies was great fun. College freshmen in Daddy’s graduation present are still big fun in Boston generally, but confront them with Bell Circle and they damn near wet themselves while I, again, hang out in the 24-hour Dunkies, perhaps the cradle of North Shore civilization. (Note to self: time to lay off the coffee perhaps)

Is there a better place to romp on it than exiting Broadway Circle onto Lynn Marsh Road (Rt. 107)? Nice left/right transition into a wide open straightaway.

Just one speed geek’s opinion…

-Rav

-Rav

No one’s mentioned the horror that is Kenmore Square. Gotta agree about several places on Storrow Drive, Alewife, and the Fresh Pond circles – they look doable, but have a lot of accidents. The circles on the Fellsway are treacherous – there are actually “Yield” signs on them so that, contrary to the usual rules of traffic, folks in the rotary don’t have the Right of Way. Pepper Mill got clobbered on one of those, several years back.

Err, yeah, are you part of the solution or the problem?

Yeah, it’s the steel SUV parts in my spine that I’m worried about. And the pureed heart.