Baklava: Am I missing something here? (First time trying, not happy)

Just the fact that it’s made with puff pastry renders it “not actually baklava”

Just wanted to note the disparity between your tagline and your comment

True

I bet Safeway’s baklava isn’t very good. But baklava is nuts (expensive) and a LOT of spices (expensive) in a honey sugar sauce encased in phyllo dough. If you aren’t big on nuts, the spices used, honey or phyllo, you aren’t going to be big on baklava.

The way to see if you like something like baklava is to spend $4 on a single piece at a good Mediterranean restaurant. Buying a huge tray of baklava at Safeway is a little like buying a case of Two Buck Chuck Chardonnay and saying “wow, I thought Chardonnay was suppose to be some sublime thing - it tastes like grape dust.” (I’m not a fan of even good Chardonnay, myself - but I have been given to understand that other people find it a pleasant taste.).

The other thing about a restaurant is that they might have a baklava platter of different types. You may not be fond of the walnut kind, but think that when its made with pistachios it is wonderful (that is my husband’s favorite).

When I was in military language school, our Palestininan teacher used to bring in a batch every couple of weeks that his wife had made. That stuff was di-vine. I’ve never had any to equal it since. I think baklava is just one of those things that cannot be done decently in a mass-produced way.

Not necessarily expensive. The Lebanese place near my old house in the UK sells stuff freshly made. It is not expensive at all, you buy by weight so can specify just one or two pieces. They also sell Kadaifi, which is shredded wheat wrapped around nuts and soaked, which I also commend to the OP. Delicious stuff. Never buy anything ethnic from a supermarket: rule of thumb is always ensure there’s a little old lady involved in its manufacture.

Fresh is definitely the key, but your suggestion of (especially unsweetened!!!ACK!) yogurt to dip it in sounds like sacrilege. Of course, I don’t like yogurt to begin with, an the idea of unsweetened is sort of like… sour cream only without tasting good lke sour cream does.

Me, I don’t need anything to offset the sweetness. I enjoy the sweetness just how it is.

When I lived in Virginia there was a restaurant with an attached bakery (that I think was its own separate business, too, though they shared a name). The restaurant was 24/7 and a mishmash of several different ethnicities’ foods. They had typical American (pancakes, sandwiches, burgers, steaks, fries) and Mediterranean (falafel, hummus, etc) and Greek foods (like Spanakopita, stufed grape leaves, and I can’t remember what else.) But the food was all very good. I’m pretty sure it was all made fresh.

The bakery though–I KNOW it was fresh. Everything was amazingly good. And they made a baklava that would practically dissolve in your mouth. Little bit of chewing was neded but not much. And the flavors together were just divine. I wish I had access to that restaurant again. MMm. I miss good bakalava. Old/storebought baklava can be pretty “meh” and not worth the price, certainly.

Your tried-and-proven recipe, please? :slight_smile:

I had unsweetened yogurt with honey for breakfast when I was on vacation in Greece - it was an incredible combination, very tart vs very sweet. I can really see that working on baklava too.

Well I shied away from pulling this one-upmanship example out of my pocket…but seeing as I have been accused of spreading sacrilege ( :slight_smile: )…here goes.

On a business trip to Istanbul I was taken to a popular restaurant…classic Turkish cuisine, almost right under the Bosphorus Bridge and overlooking the water. Among other wonderful food (including some beautiful, crispy red mullet) at the end of the meal we were given a selection of very sweet treats (baklava, dates, pistachio marzipan etc) together with a bowl of very, very thick yogurt. Creamy but tart. The locals amongst us showed us that the way to eat it was to have a dab of the yogurt on each mouthful.

Lots of the patrons were doing the same so I don’t think they were pulling a fast one on us, in any case it works wonderfully well.

Put small batches in the microwave to soften up. It will certainly improve it.

Don’t eat it while watching a Hellraiser film. A friend’s crunchy bite coincided with a hook ripping through human flesh & she associated the two sounds for years.:smiley:

One of the most memorable food experiences of my life was just there at the Galata bridge on the Sultanahmet side: a row of boats floating by the bridge with charcoal grills on them, who bought mackerel straight from fishing boats behind them, filleted them and grilled them within five minutes of being plucked from the sea, served in pita bread with salad and a squeeze of lemon juice salt and pickled chilli - for like $2.

Drooling at the memory. Istanbul’s amazing.

Absolutely, the quality, range and price of the food generally is excellent and simplicity is the key which is just how I like it.

I think it sounds delightful.