Band names easily confused for one another

That’s one of the ones I always have to think about (even though I like one considerably more then the other).
A few years ago a friend excitedly told me that she just got tickets to see the Crowes, my response…“Counting or Black?”
(BTW Black Crowes with Jimmy Page was amazing).

Different eras, but Doll by Doll and The Dresden Dolls

ELO and ELP. Though, if you spell the names out, probably not as confusing.

There’s an awesome deathcore band from the UK called Architects, and I constantly find their CDs mixed in with a US pop/punk band called The Architects.

Funny how they were popular at the same time, weird coincidence, I guess.

I used to think The Arrows and The Arrows were the same band!

They all copied Three Dog Night.

Nirvana and Nirvana.

Also, The The is easily confused for a typographical error.

You mean “Emerson, Lake, and O’Toole” and the “Electric Light Philharmonic”?

For some reason (it’s the fruit connection, I guess) I always get Tangerine Dream mixed up with Depeche Mode.

And I know someone who actually did think there was a band called REM Speedwagon.

Not my brain fart but several months ago I went to see The English Beat. Bad Manners was opening for them. Prior to the concert the boyfriend kept remarking what an odd pairing of bands it was. I had only the vaguest memory of Bad Manners but was pretty sure it was ska. Then he’s asking why they’d mix bands from two totally different eras. Huh?

All this time he thought we were going to see Bad Company:smack:

For someone not really into music, 1997 is like 2000, and 2000 is like 2003, but there’s no way 2003 is like 1997. Was 1973 like 1967, musically? 1983 and 1977? 1993 and 1987?

I always just call all of those shitty hair bands Great White Lion Snake. That includes Warrent, Quiet Riot, and all the others.

The most frustrating one is Opeth and Otep. The first one is a truly brilliant Swedish Progressive Death Metal band that has done a lot to influence the metal scene. The other was better known for a while and, well, they really weren’t any good . It was frustrating mentioning Opeth, having someone confuse them with Otep,

Another one that bugs me is that both My Dying Bride and Dave Mathews Band are both probably equally well known by their initials MDB and DMB. Fortunately, they don’t do remotely similar genres, so it was really only confusing to me when a friend would mention DMB and I’d wonder why a hippy would would be into Doom.

And while we’re on other metal bands: Novembre, November, and Novembers Doom; Soil and Soilwork; Emperor, Empyrium, Empire. And, really, why the hell do so many metal bands have to have “Dark” in their name? Dark Suns (awesome band, btw), Dark Tranquility, Dark Fortress, Dark Age, Dark Horizon, Darkane, Darkest Hour, Dark Side, Dark Throne…

Speaking of November, I always confuse Thursday with Taking Back Sunday. I’ve even seen one of them in concert (opening for another band) and I can’t remember which one.

Not to mention Sheryl Crow

Cameron Crowe, Gregory Peck…

The line toward the end of You Only Get What You Give always made be double take because it said “Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson”. Beck’s name is Beck Hansen. So whenever anyone mentions Hanson I think of Beck.

This happened a lot in the '80s. “Wham!” was briefly known by the awkward “Wham! UK” and “The Beat” was known as “The English Beat,” which is actually a cooler name. OK, so that’s not a lot of examples, but I vaguely recall there were many others.

And Yazoo which was simply “Yaz” in the US

I too preferred The English Beat to just The Beat. Same for Charlatans UK versus The Charlatans. Not sure about Yaz vs Yazoo.