Bands that are actually "Johnny and his guys"

Record companies really prefer dealing with either solo artists, or Johnny and his guys. Band politics are much more complicated, and from their POV, the sooner they only have to deal with Johnny, the better.

The Fall is Mark E. Smith and whoever is tolerating him

nm

Simon & Garfunkel.

The E Street Band. There’s a reason one guy is called the Boss.

Latter day Alice Cooper and that’s the way I like it. :slight_smile:

And one of them is a drummer.

He certainly wrote all their autobiographies. I loved Things the Grandchildren Should Know and I’m no great fan of * Eels*.

I remember seeing a rockumentary about Bon Jovi, and that was pretty much Jon doing all the writing, scheduling, performance plannning etc.

Sort of left the rest of the band waiting all the time for instructions, or trying to second gues ’ Do you think Jon wants us to do it like this’?

You may be remembering that wrong. Richie Sambora co-writes most of the songs with Bon Jovi.

See track listings for New Jersey, Slippery When Wet or Keep The Faith as examples.

As I’m reading the OP it’s not about what people think. Blondie was a partnership between Harry and Stein.

Not really. Clapton had the name but the songs were mostly a joint effort and even much of the most famous guitar was actually Duane Allmann.

I’d heard that after John’s brother Tom had already quit the band, and a full-blown breakup was pretty much in the cards, remaining members Stu Cook and Doug Clifford started pushing Fogerty for more creative control. Knowing CCR’s days were numbered anyway, he gave them their wish. The band’s final album, Mardi Gras, was a critical and commercial failure, and became known as “Fogerty’s Revenge.”

I’m not sure if this one counts, since he actually played all the instruments on the album. It was literally a solo project.

Spiritualized is Jason Pierce and whomever else he decides that he wants around at the time.

Crowded House was basically Neil Finn from what I can remember.

The Divine Comedy is Neil Hannon.

But, it’s the name of the band, it’s clear who the band is.

The E street band is the support band of Bruce Springsteen. Bruce doesn’t tour as a member of the band. The records come out as “Bruce Springsteen” and the tours as "Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street band.
The E Street band exists on its own.

Sure, but it’s all the band.

Bon Jovi got a record deal before he got a band, so he pulled in players he knew, but to my knowledge has treated them like a band since - well except for firing their first bass player, Alex John Such. So he’s the face and has the most power, etc, but they aren’t just hired hands, IIRC…

[Bold Mine]

Oh no! You did NOT dis Timothy B. Schmit!

A lot of people would argue that Lemmy Kilmister is Motorhead (not sure they’re right).

And Whitesnake hasn’t been a real band in decades- it’s David Coverdale plus whoever he’s working with this week.

At different times, King Crimson has been BOTH a real band AND “Robert Fripp and his current hired flunkies” (think of the Gordon Haskell era).

Cracker is pretty much a David Lowery band.

Or Jim Messina, Randy Meisner and Rusty Young, for that matter. Poco was a great band, IMO

Sure. It’s Paul Simon and his backup singer.