Bands that maybe SHOULD have been one-hit wonders

Crying in the Rain and The Sun Always Shines on TV are both good songs.

Totally disagree. Hands Clean is a great song.

Hunting High and Low !

I love this idea for a thread! Which is why I sat here staring off into space trying to think of a good example, because I couldn’t think of one off the top of my head but I wanted to keep this thread alive. My pick is Chris Brown, and I hope he counts since he’s a singer and not a “band.” I think his song “With You” is great, and every so often I used to listen to samples of his songs on iTunes to see if I could find another song of his that had the same sort of vibe, but none did. All the rest were your more standard hip hop, which I’m not so into.

The Killers. After “Somebody Told Me”, they produced garbage, imo. But they kept on keeping on for a while.

Looking Glass. Brandy (You’re A Fine Girl) is a fantastic song. They tried, but they never reached much more than that.

The Foo Fighters. Everlong is their only good song.

Wow. I would be willing to fight a duel over that one. They have many, many great songs. Everlong, Walk, Wheels, Next Year, lot of them.

I’d say the first four songs on their debut LP (‘Jenny was a Friend of Mine’, ‘Mr. Brightside’, ‘Smile Like You Mean It’, & ‘Somebody Told Me’) are all catchy and entertaining. [The dynamic range compression on the CD is unbearably loud, though. So it’s hard to get through more than a few songs at a time.] Starting with their second CD, they lost me completely.

Try “My Hero”. The rest of their output leaves me cold.

The posters bickering over the Foo Fighters, they have a legitimate argument going on. But this. This is just wrong.

I don’t like the Foo Fighters music, but I have to admit, they do have a lot of well-written songs. “Everlong” is their best, but I also enjoy “Best of You,” and “Monkey Wrench” (probably from playing it over and over on Guitar Hero or Rock Band or whatever game it was on.)

I clicked on the thread to say “Bryan Adams — Cuts Like a Knife”.

I’m tempted to add “John Cougarcamp — I Need a Lover (Who Won’t Drive Me Crazy)”, but it wouldn’t really be true.

I dunno why but I really loathe Kings of Leon. Their song “Sex on Fire” is terrible and they followed it up with an equally terrible “Use Somebody” It’s been 10 years and I still hear them on the radio all the fucking time. And people are all pumped about their shows, and “ooooh, Kings of Leon are making a new album!” Fuck, stop. You’re terrible.

Mrs. Cups and I were talking about him just this past weekend. He made plenty of good songs and catchy hooks, but he was blackballed for beating up Rihanna and never recovered. Not that he should.

100% agree on this. The Killers came in town recently and my first thought was “I’d see them in a heartbeat if they only played songs from their album…the rest I could do without”. We ended up not seeing them.

They WERE a one-hit wonder, so your wish has been granted! (They had one other song reach #33 on the Billboard Hot 100, but I don’t really consider #33 to be a hit.)

This is not a correct answer.

It may be the worst answer so far

The only one I strongly disagree with. I think Everlong is their best song, even 21 years later. But they have so many great tunes.

Nm

Yes, but not Collective Soul. I love every single thing they’ve put and consider them easily the best band of the 1990’s and early 2000’s. Saw them in concert a few times and they were some of the best shows I’d ever seen.