Bands you can't believe are still performing

That’s heavy, man.

I saw Mahogany Rush at the Texas Jam in '78. They were good. Their album, Stange Universe, is one of my old favorites. They were somewhat popular in the mid-late 70s, primarily as a touring act. They’re Canadian, so they might have been huge there at the time.

But Frank Marino is a loon, and when he insisted they start calling themselves Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, I went “meh” and haven’t kept up.

Paul Revere & The Raiders. I have a friend who’s a fan from way back and every time she tells me they’re touring, I have to go “Wha-??”

This event looks like it was put together in order to generate this thread!

Pretty much every band that had decent success keeps on going forever. Even if none of the original members are involved, they still rent the rights to the name and the songs to anybody who’ll take it out on the road and generate a little cash.

Anyway, John Kay and Steppenwolf appear to still be a going concern; they’ve got plenty of tour dates coming up.

Styx is still going, with Canadian singer Larry Gowan doing Dennis De Young’s keyboard and vocal numbers.

If you do, I hope you get some good hanky panky. :stuck_out_tongue:

He reaffirmed that claim in an interview with Guitar Player magazine (I had a subscription) as recently as 2005 or so. I mean, that’s just some Weekly World News shit right there.

:stuck_out_tongue: :rolleyes:

I don’t get the Mahogany Rush hate! I loved them 20 odd years ago, and while it’s a little harder now to sit through a whole Frank Marino solo, I still occasionally listen to them. I can’t believe they were in the Burgh an I missed them.

For some reason I often find myself wondering what Huey Lewis & The News are up to, and it seems like they’ve never stopped touring.

Apparently Journey is still going strong, even after losing Steve Perry. Journey without Steve Perry? What is that like, exactly?

For a while, they had replaced him with Steve Augeri, who sang exactly like him, had an extremely similar name, and even looked like him except for the curly hair. It was frankly a bit disturbing.

(bolding mine) Soooo, you’re their fan, huh? Part of the “hate” is that they were playing at an inappropriate setting. Blues fans in Pittsburgh know the lineup for the festival the day it is released. Mahogany Rush is not a blues band.

I agree with regard to age. I got the chance to hang out with Pinetop Perkins, a blues keyboard guy who is well into his 9th decade. He was awesome. He told me the story of how he wound up on keyboards after a jealous babe sliced up his arm and he could no longer play guitar.

The local slot parlor just featured REO Speedwagon and K.C. and the Sunshine Band on consecutive nights.

I have seen the following live performances in the past few years:

Huey Lewis & the News
Go-Go’s
Duran Duran (3 times)
The Alarm
The Fixx (2 times)
Psychedelic Furs
Village People
Depeche Mode

Of those, I know Duran Duran and Depeche Mode are still putting out new material on major labels. In fact, Duran Duran and Dave Gahan have new albums coming out soon.

And he does a fantastic job too! Caught them opening for Def Leppard in Columbus a few weeks ago and was prepped to be bored. NOT! I don’t think I’ve enjoyed an opening act for Lepp since they had Ricky Warwick on tour with them.

And a few months after they finished their tour with Def Leppard, they booted Jeff Scott Soto, who was Steve Augeri’s replacement, right out of the band. Neal Schon is a class-A douchebag, IMO. :mad:

It makes you wonder, huh? When you see guys (Schon, Ritchie Blackmore, Ronnie James Dio, Yngwie, etc.) who have 20- or 30- year revolving door bands, you kind of have to figure they’re the asshole in all this.

This spring, in St. Louis, we ate at Blueberry Hill. The flyer said Chuck Berry plays there once a month.

Along that same street, there’s a walk of fame sorta thing, with bronze plaques in the sidewalks. A whole bunch of very prominent people either were born in St. Louis or had the best part of their careers there. The very last plaque was for a guy who must be so famous, they didn’t even explain his career. Louis Water Meter. I had never heard of him. Maybe he founded the funk band The Meters.
:wink:

You’re kidding, right? Practically every home in America uses a device named after him!

He was the guy that invented the loo?

Vanilla Fudge.