Banks - why such boring names?

Re: Jane and Michael Banks:

But their da worked for the “Hawes Tomes Mousley Grubs Fidelity Feduciary Bank”.

I particulary like the bank in Southern USA called “Wachovia” (it’s just fun to say out loud, and I think they probably see me when I’m sleeping).

We have Wachovia here and it sounds, to me, like some small Eastern European country. Now, I ask myself, do I want to trust my money to Transylvania? I think not.

bradwalt: Unfortunately, Wachovia is pronounced “walk-ovia.” The pronunciation “watch-ovia” is definitely more interesting from a punny standpoint, though. My friends and I have been known to refer to Wachovia as “Walk all ova ya”

It’s definitely the “conservative image” thing. Much of the banking “experience” is intended to promote this image. Note that you never see people in banks who aren’t dressed pretty well; tellers will generally have a shirt and tie, or a nice dress. Higher up the ranks, suits are de rigeur. Note also that many banks in “downtown” areas maintain old, stone buildings. Certainly, this is intended to make the bank look “solid” and “lasting”.

It is funny, as I never really worry about a bank going bust; also, we’ve got the FDIC to insure our deposits. Still, I suppose subconsciously people take these things into consideration when choosing a bank, so it probably makes sense from a marketing standpoint.

Regarding Wachovia and “Walk over you”

I find it amusing that they will be re-branding the First Union bank branches they have recently purchased. First Union being famous for their poor customer service is unaffectionally known as " The F. U. Bank".

now they’ll just “walk over you”, a slight improvement I suppose.

In Turkey, one of the biggest banks is named Sümerbank. It got that name from a former crackpot theory of Turkish racial origins that was the official nationalist government line in the 1920s and 1930s: that the Turks are descended from the ancient Sumerians.

I’m very excited by the Wells Fargo name. I’m even more excited at the Wells Fargo money that I get from them every couple weeks. :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually First Union purchased Wachovia but they are using the Wachovia name after the merger. In some states they have completed the name change but here in NC they are getting ready to do the name change.

The name Wachovia means “Green Land” or something like that. It comes from the Moravians. Wachovia started in Winston-Salem, NC which was partly founded by Moravians.

“Sparkasse” sounds anything but dull.

I have an account at Mars National Bank (Mars, PA, their logo is very space-ish, they advertise having service that is “out of this world” … but for me it’s just the bank right down the road :slight_smile: )

Here in Alabama (North Alabama, to be exact) we have such interesting names as Union Planters, Family Security Credit Union, Regons Bank, The Bank (I’m not kidding, it’s just The Bank), stuff like that. I think there’s a First Alabama Bank as well.

Back in 1995 I believe it was there was a bank called “Bank First”, which was soon purchased by Union Planters. I though it was interesting as it was Bank First, and not First Bank.

I contributed nothing, and I’m proud of it!

Luckily the internet boom is encouraging wacky names for banks, as for everything else. In Britain we have Egg and Smile.

And from olden days, my personal favourite, the Scottish Linen Bank, which was taken over in (from memory) the 1970s.

My local bank is called …“The Bank”.

The “The Bank of whatever county it’s in”

Seriously, their ads are for “The Bank”. Signs, ads, etc just say “The Bank”.