Base 12 advocacy

You know, I can already count and do arithmetic pretty well in base-16, due to years of munging hex as a programmer.

So screw you, base-12-supporting people, I’m starting my own movement.

My name is Inigo Montoya.

And this thread has made my nose bleed.

That last sentence makes Dozenal sound even more like something you should ask your doctor or pharmacist about.

I was thinking the opposite direction for the simple reason that Seagram’s, Bacardi, and Smirnoff can cough up a lot more money than MADD and AA to help with the glorious bloody revolution^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HPR campaign.

But now that I think about it, they don’t care about selling more alcohol. They generously contributed to metricization programs even though that forced them to sell 750ml in place of 25.6oz and still call it a fifth, so I’m sure they’ll contribute to dozenalization even if it forces them to start selling 5/6ths as much alcohol for the same price.

On the other hand, it’s a long fancy word with sex in it and even the rest sounds vaguely dirty; it’s going to remind the red states too much of Bill Clinton.

You must not have been reading that other thread where I admitted that I was part of the evil conspiracy to eliminate dumb phones and force everyone to buy expensive PDA-phones. At the Symbian expo, we all bowed down to a giant 60-key while chanting, “Are you sure you want a keypad instead of QWERTY and a touch screen?”

And until people do switch, I suspect that T59 predictive text entry will be slightly more accurate and faster to use than T9.

So you’re hoping that by that time, nobody will remember Short Circuit?

Well, I’m not sure about 1. Isn’t there any way we can leave it out? (What if we make it a talking chimp?)

You’re just inviting them to get revenge later. They’ll rip off 8 of your fingers and quip, “That gives a whole new meaning to digital,” followed by a creepy metallic laugh.

Why didn’t you tell me you wrote for Robot Chicken?

What’s wrong with 2? You can stack things 1x2 or 2x1. You can divide it evenly among 1 person or 2 people.

In fact, if things are sold in 2-packs, the most waste you can possibly have is 1. But of course you might want to accept some waste in order to minimize the amortized time at the grocery store. Just make sure you round up to a full trunk size once your egg use gets high enough; the lost efficiency from violating perfect exponential growth will be more than made up by dealing only in full trunks. See, this is just malloc; every decent computer programmer knows how to solve this problem (and we’ve all wondered what a freelist of eggs would look like).

OK, that one’s a problem. If noon comes at 11:30:30.5, there’s really not enough time to justify a morning coffee break anymore. I’m definitely voting against base 1403 if it comes up.

There are 10[sub]16[/sub] kinds of people in the world–1 understands hex and F everybody else. :wink:

Thirty years in the computer business and I can’t believe I’ve never heard that one before. :smiley:

Not there, Derleth. At Napier Bones in Various Bases, with Explanation with the number set to 12!

I lay claim to it and have only “published” it twice, both in threads on this forum. I have been in the computer business 1F years :smiley:

Well, welcome to my quote file, alongside Twain, von Neumann, Sagan, et al. If after I am long gone, someone decides to publish my notes–perhaps as a cautionary tale–people will wonder who the hell is CookingWithGas?

It’s a little scary how excited I was when I saw this thread. I’ve been trying to spread the good news about Base Twelve for years now but it keeps falling on deaf ears.

Also, there is the Dozenal Society of America for any that are interested. (Formerly the Duodecimal Society of America).

The tyranny of Ten must end!

How many fingers do you guys have? :wink:

I have ten but so what? In an advanced society such as ours should not we be able to choose a mathematical base system based on its teachability and ease of use rather than whether it corresponds to a certain number of body parts. Are we not evolved? Are we not Men? Besides if you really want to fit in with all the other kids who are counting with their body parts you can use the knuckle joints on your four fingers to count in base twelve. And you don’t have to start your count over after 10, you have all the way until 24 (using both hands).

Don’t make this hard for me. I already have to take my shoes and pants off to count to 21. :smiley:

Knuckles? Lame. I can use ten fingers to count to 1023, no knuckles required.

Hehe, “hard”.:smiley:

So if we hadn’t lost our tails evolving up from little snails, we might use base 11?

I can’t even get halfway there; I keep finding myself at -512.

So now Spinal Tap has to go to 13?

Decimalist.

Joe

Well, it’s better than going to Ɛ

That sounds more John Cage than Spinal Tap. Or, rather, it doesn’t sound, if you want to keep it real.