baseball songs

“Joe DiMaggio’s Done It Again,” lyrics by Woody Guthrie, performed by Billy Bragg and Wilco on the Mermaid Avenue Vol. II album.

Cashman’s Talking Baseball. He isn’t Fogerty’s musical equal, but it is really more abou t the history of the game.

The soundtrack to Ken Burns’ Baseball miniseries has quite a few great vintage baseball songs.

Thanks a lot everyone for the excellent answers. Although I am a baseball fan… my knowledge of actual “baseball songs” was lacking. I think I’ll probably pick up that Rhino release, although the tribute to Nolan Ryan (one of my all time favorite players) looks good too.

I am partial to The Greatest by Kenny Rogers. Baseball, inspiration, and glurge all in one song!

It’s kind of sad there’s all this greatness for baseball, while us hockey fans have nothing but “The Good Old Hockey Game” by Stompin’ Tom Connors, and I guess maybe “I Wanna Drive The Zamboni” by the Gear Daddies.

Elwood
It may or may not be your cup of, um, beer… but The Hanson Brothers (as very opposed to the Hansons) are an all hockey puck rock outfit. They have put out several albums and appear on an excellent hockey music compilation Johnny Hanson Presents: Puck Rock, Vol. 1. Best of luck finding it though :frowning:

Hit Somebody (Hockey Song) Warren Zevon
More Songs About Hockey… The Zambonis

Also:

Hockey – Jane Siberry
The Goal Judge – Moxy Früvous

“World of Orioles Baseball” but can’t remember the artist right now. Was on Napster, might be on Kazaa too.

Just looked it up, it’s by Hyperhanna

Tinker to Evers to Chance is a cute little ditty written originally as a poem by New York sportswriter Franklin P. Adams (no relation to Cecil that I’m aware of) about the shortstop (Joe Tinker), second baseman (Johnny Evers) and first baseman (Frank Chance) of the Chicago Cubs starting lineup, 1903-1910. The trio were noted for their double-play skills.

The song’s idea was ripped off some years later in the 1949 film Take Me Out to the Ball Game, with Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra and Jules Munshin playing “O’Brien and Ryan and Goldberg”. That movie has a few other baseball songs and I recommend it for a good afternoon of cheeseball entertainment.

Interestingly, according to these guys, the first baseball song was The Base Ball Polka! in 1858. Also, what most people think of as the song Take Me Out to the Ball Game is actually just the song’s chorus, with main verses featuring characters named Katie Casey (1908 version) and Nelly Kelly (1927 version).

Does anyone know the lyrics to the Yankees theme song? I know you know the music - what are the words? (This is not a quiz, I don’t know the answer)
Thanks…

In the 70s, Ron Cey of the Dodgers recorded a song about baseball. I think it was called “Dragging the Third Base Line”; I heard it a couple of times on Dr. Demento, but that’s all I remember of it.

Dodger baseball broadcasts when they were on KABC Radio were preceded by a pretty good song. Since I can’t post the entire lyrics, I’ll just post a few lines of it:

It’s a beautiful day for a ballgame
For a ballgame today
The fans are out to get a ticket or two
From Walla Walla, Washington to Kalamazoo

I have no idea who wrote it, nor whether any other ball clubs use the song.

Just my 2 cents, and worth about as much.

Steverino–That song preceded Chicago Cubs telecasts, too, although somewhat shortened, and radio broadcasts (more often full length). That was back in the seventies; no idea if they still do it today. And about 5 years ago I was driving through Rochester NY, and heard it as the intro to a Rochester Red Wings broadcast…so it gets around. Raise a hullabaloo, indeed!

One verse of the song “It’s a beautiful day for a ballgame” sung by the Harry Simeone Chorus contained the lines

“It’s a beautiful day for the ladies,
So throw all your dishes away …”

They stopped playing that part when I was very young.