Basic Lottery Question

A group of 11 where I once worked won the big jackpot. Usually there are 1 or 2 winners for the lottery, a million or several apiece. This time there were 6 winners. So the 11 people got 1/6 of the prize to divvy up. The each got $30,000 or so. Still nothing to sneeze at, but pretty small for THE BIG ONE.

Any prize is equally likely, and unless otherwise stated, a quick pick ticket is totally random. For the 6 of 49 pick lotteries, you odds are about 1 in 13.8 million, IIRC.

ODDS = factorial(number of choices)/
(
factorial(number of choices minus number of picks) times
factoprial (number of picks)
)

For 6 of 49, that’s
ODDS = F(49)/(F(43)F(6)) = (49x48x47x46x45x44)/(6x5x4x3x2)

The logic is: first number can be one of 49
Next can be one of 48 remaining, etc.

Divide by all permutations of 6 numbers (F(6)) since order of pick does not matter.
The 42 ping pong ball followed by the 25 is the same as 25 followed by 42…

You can also calculate this really quickly in Google by typing “49 choose 6” into the search bar.

Yep, mistyped that. Thanks for the correction.

There’s no reason the lottery corporation would have to allow such a thing; certainly in Ontario the rules stipulate such machinations aren’t permissible.

It’s in the lottery corporation’s interests to publicize the names of winners if for no other reason to prove that the game is on the level. Otherwise, they could just never hand out any jackpots and say all the winners preferred to remain anonymous.

I actually just called the Calif lottery office yesterday. This was one of the questions I asked. The lady said that you would need to speak to Security if you don’t want to do a press conference. So, I guess you have that option. But they still need to disclose your name as the winner.

The lady at the Calif lottery office said you cannot use a blind trust to claim your prize. They have to disclose your name and anyone can call them to ask who won.

Ohio does allow blind trust. There’s another state but I don’t know which one. These are the only two that allow blind trust. The rest dont.

I deny that they are idiots. Anyone who did not pick those numbers didn’t win a goddam thing. Anyone who did pick those numbers won something, even if it was only a 1/300th share of the big jackpot.

You are confusing luck with intelligence.

There is a guaranteed, sure-fire way to double your chances of winning the lottery.

Buying a second ticket? (Technically, it’s a little bit less than doubling your chances…)

I would assume however, that if there had been 1 other winner, he would have gotten 2/3 rather than half.

I only claim they were no less intelligent (or more idiotic) than anyone else who plays the lottery.

Your claim is simply wrong. If number picking strategy A has the exact same odds of winning as number picking strategy B, but B pays dramatically less money than A in the unlikely event it wins, A is unambiguously the better strategy. You are simply being less intelligent to employ number picking strategy B.

Actually, there are four states where you can claim anonymously: Delaware, Kansas, North Dakota and Ohio. Link to Powerball FAQ. It’s about halfway down the page.