Basketball: Ball went in twice on one throw

And methinks the appropriate thread is: International cricket rolling thread where the self-appointed SDMB cricket tragics will field/debate whatever query you may have on the game.

The other impact on the observed play are the fielding restrictions.

The standard in domestic and international Twenty20 cricket is for no more than two fielders to be allowed outside the 30-yard circle for the first six overs of an innings. From the seventh over, no more than five fielders will be allowed outside the 30-yard circle.

But they are 30 yards away from the bat. At international or first class level, hell even at club level if a ball was hit in the air within reach of a fielder that distance away you’d expect the catch to be taken.

Thank you. I’d already been reading a long-ish semi-recent thread on whether cricket could become popular in the USA which had morphed into a compare/contrast with baseball.

I’d actually intended that second part of my post for this other thread, then brain-farted.

Your rolling thread is the best place of all. Thank again.

Can a field goal be scored by the ball crossing through the posts in reverse? That is, a high arching kick that goes on the outside of the posts, but curves back through from the other way?

Edited to add:
What happens if a kick passes through the plane of the uprights (and between them), but then curves back and lands in the end zone?

I guess it’s unclear to me exactly at what moment the field goal is completed. (Compare to when a touchdown is completed: when the runner moves the ball through the plane of the 0-yard line.)

The entire ball must pass through the plane of the goalposts in the proper direction, and it must hit the ground or some other object on the other side. So it would NOT count if it went through in reverse. It WOULD count if it went through the posts and then curved back outside of the post and landed in the endzone. It would NOT count if it went through the posts and then blew back between the posts.

RULE 11 SECTIONS 4.(c) The entire ball must pass through the vertical plane of the goal, which is the area above the crossbar and between the uprights or, if above the uprights, between their outside edges. If the ball passes through the goal, and returns through the goal without striking the ground or some object or person beyond the goal, the attempt is unsuccessful.

And just to clarify, the ball does not have to cleanly go through the uprights. It can hit them and deflect somewhat, as long as it passes over the bar between them going the proper way and lands on the other side. It can also pass over the uprights, so technically not “through” them, as long as it passes through where the uprights would be if they were taller. (Imagine an invisible vertical line extending above them.)

I’ve seen successful field goals where the ball hits one or more uprights, but as long as it falls onto the proper side afterward from between the uprights they counted it. There was a kick much like that near the end of the Bills-Jets game last Monday, here is a video:

In that vid’s preview still the look on the face of the coach on the right is fantastic.

It WOULD count if the ball passed through the goal posts, hit the bar which connects the crossbar to the ground, and bounced back through onto the field.

It not only WOULD count, it DID.

Correct, because as the rules state:

If the ball passes through the goal, and returns through the goal without striking the ground or some object or person beyond the goal, the attempt is unsuccessful.

(Bolding mine, of course.)

The stanchion is an “object… beyond the goal”, if the goal is considered to be the uprights and the bar connecting them at the bottom, so deflecting backward from it would not invalidate the goal when it properly passes between the uprights. Hitting that stanchion is treated the same as hitting the ground. So that ruling in the Browns-Ravens game was the right call.

Yes, but @TroutMan was posting the rules about what would count, I wanted to post the example of a time that it actually happened.

I understand why the rules are written as specifically as they are, but some of the situations are bordering on impossible. If anyone knows of a time the ball was blown backwards through the goalposts, without hitting anything, I’d like to see it.

It came close at least once. In 1983, in the Egg Bowl, the wind was strong enough to make a field goal kick hang in the air and stop its forward movement. It’s the craziest thing, it was like it was tethered to an invisible rope.

If kicked a bit differently, it could very well have gone through and then back out the uprights in that sort of wind.

Yeah, it’s conceivable that it might happen someday, but I’m not holding my breath.

Before this thread, I would have said it’s impossible for a basketball to go through the hoop twice without touching the ground. So who knows.

If you want it to be blown backwards out of the goal, holding your breath is doing it wrong. :slight_smile: