Battlestar Galactica 4.6 - "Escape Velocity" (spoilers ho)

I probably don’t count, because I’m a girl and mainly attracted to guys, but I think Tory is “very pretty” but not gorgeous, and I think that for how pretty she is, she’s remarkably un-sexy. (Kind of like for how relatively not that attractive he is, David Cook on American Idol manages to be confusingly high on the sexiness scale.)

Six is hotter. Tricia Helfer is the definition of hot.

This link is to NSFW pictures of Tricia Helfer from her Playboy shoot:

http:// Sensitive Content Warning

Remove space after the //. Judge for yourself. Agree with Opal that Tory is somehow not sexy to me, though she is pretty. Six exudes sex. But I say this as a straight woman, so what do I know?

Was anyone else surprised at how easily Chief was able to bait Adama into demoting him? I would have thought that Adama would have been able to see through Chief’s tirade to the fact that Chief is deeply disturbed. It was interesting that Chief said, “You don’t know what frakking club I’m in, because you don’t ask the right questions!” Makes me think that, if Adama had been a little more patient and had questioned Chief, he would have confessed.

Also, I loved Roslin threatening Baltar. I wonder if she’ll finally lash out at him as she has wanted to since forever as her dying act.

Lee is getting on my nerves. I know he’s standing up for what he thinks is right, but as Roslin said, does no one remember how badly Baltar screws things up when he has power? Lee’s petulant opposition of Roslin seems kind of childish to me, but I have never liked him, and Roslin, though a bit fascist, is usually right in the end.

How long will it take someone to notice Tigh’s obsession with Six (and the resulting bruises?) Best line of the ep, “No, we are not going to talk about the fragile body of Gaius Frakkin’ Baltar!”

Can I say it at last without getting shit for it? Tory is eeeeeeeeeevil! :smiley:

Heh. I never denied she might be evil, just that one particular act didn’t necessarily in and of itself prove that she was evil.

Thing with Tory: I can’t even imagine her naked. With Six it’s like you have a hard time not mentally imagining her clothing falling to the floor all the time.

For the record, I’ve imagined Tory naked.
And Six, and Boomer, and Racetrack, and …

The wig they had on Tricia Helfer this last ep looked horrible, though, I have to say. It looked better on the actress who played Ellen than it did on Six.

I think Starbuck is way sexier than Six. Six was pretty cute as Ensign Ro’s partner, but honestly, she has sharp knees.

Tory, on the other hand, was the last straw my friend used to convince me to start watching. Ice cold, yet smoking hot. She and Starbuck makes me feel funny. Like when we used to climb the rope in gym class. Boomer & Racetrack would be the sexiest people in damn near any other show.

Don’t try to view the video linked on that page in the comments - AVG 8 says it’s a trojan.

I don’t think he’s being petulant or childish. What’s the point of the human race surviving if humans don’t any rights? And you can’t rely on someone being “usually right” and go ahead let them be “bit fascist.” Where human societies get into trouble is by relying on someone else to do the thinking for them.

I’ll be in my bunk :wink:

Adama knew exactly what Chief was doing (he even said, “Don’t do this”), and if he had said what he said in private, the Admiral would have let him get it out of his system before having a very long talk.

But the fact that he spoke that way to a superior officer in front of dozens of other crew members forced Adama’s hand. He had no choice but to discipline him on the spot.

Oh, and thaks for the pics. I’ve been looking for those.

I’m not going to argue with you about fascism, a system of government that’s only justfied when the survival of the state is in real, meaningful peril, such as when it’s floating through space with its remaining 30,000 members. I’m just going to say that Roslin does what needs to be done to help the human race survive, and when Baltar is given power, he consistently screws things up at the cost of large numbers of human lives. I’d have said Roslin’s always been right, but I’m not sure if she or Starbuck is right about where Earth is.

As for Lee, he has always annoyed me. Moreso when he’s acting as a flunky for Tom Zarek.

I wasn’t sure that “don’t do this” meant “don’t do this in public.” He went on to say, “Don’t do this to her memory” or something like that. If he had said, “I know this is just because you’re grieving. Come to my office tomorrow,” and then walked away, his hand wouldn’t have been “forced.” Even people who aren’t Cylons sometimes freak out and say/do horrible things out of grief. If you’re not going to judge someone’s grief, then you don’t, even if they are freaking out at you in ways you don’t like.

Also, if Adama didn’t demote Chief for his error with Racetrack’s ship when it happened, why would he do it only after Chief was rude to him? That seems like a bad way to decide who should be demoted or punished for making a mistake at work.

Could be necessary for the plot. Could be the standard “Adama Gets Angry and Does the Wrong Thing” followed by Roslin or Apollo or Starbuck showing him the Right Thing To Do. :slight_smile: I like Alessan’s explanation, though.

This is yet another reason I’m so in love with this show and want to have its babies.* In the last couple of episodes, the portrayal of Roslin’s accumulation of power and strictly enforced secrecy has been a less-than-subtle nod at the Bush White House, which makes her, simply by association, dramatically less sympathetic; her actions, clearly, are wrong. But then she says something like “you remember what Baltar was like with political power and now you want to let him make himself into a Messiah?” and we know that her rationale is absolutely, chillingly correct. Yet another example of how BSG so beautifully handles the “right for the wrong reasons and vice versa” theme. Lee is right, but being right may be wrong; and Roslin is wrong, but being wrong may be right.

I bet the Sixes secrete cosmetics.
*But you don’t have a womb. Where will the fetus gestate?

If Adama had demoted Chief for disrespect to an admiral, that would be one thing. He demoted him for an error he made earlier in the day, which was not punished at the time, and was only punished after he blew up in the bar. That seems rather wrongheaded to me, more of an impulsive act of anger than discipline for making a dangerous mistake at work that could have cost human lives.

I mean, there aren’t too many people who can do Chief’s job left alive. He really can’t be spared, unless he’s more of a liability than he is useful. Maybe seeing Chief freak out convinced Adama that the error was not just a one off but the result of a deeper mental imbalance. If so, I hope we see Adama talking to Chief next ep and trying to help him. That’s what Chief was begging for in that situation. I hope Adama realizes that.

ETA: I agree with Cervaise’s take on why Roslin is “right” and Lee is “wrong” and vice versa. Everything we have learned is right in government tends to backfire in the situation they’re dealing with in the BSG universe, so it’s hard to know what the correct course of action is before you do it. It is what makes this show great-- the ambiguity, the moral angst.

Roslin believes the ends justify the means. Do they? It’s much easier to believe they do when the consequences for the wrong ends = extinction of the human race. That’s why I side with Roslin. I can see why someone wouldn’t, but… I think events have borne out her stance several times.

Though, upon further consideration, it’s too late to stop Baltar’s messiah-hood, and Roslin’s law only made him look like a martyr. He should have been stopped long ago, but now, it’s too late. So Cervaise is right, Roslin’s rationale is correct but it can’t be acted upon without being oppressive and leading to adverse consequences. What a mess.

He seems to be more of a Rasputin than a Messiah. Are we sure that kid didn’t have hemophilia? :slight_smile:

I don’t think the show is setting up Apollo to be wrong about freedom of speech and due process. And I don’t think Roslin has been shown to be unequivocally right about all her decisions. I think the point is that they both think they’re doing the right thing but no matter what, they’re both going to be tragically wrong. It’s not clear to me that Zarek would have been much different a president than Roslin.

And the very fact that so much is at stake is critical. Zarek’s point is that Roslin’s belief that only her decisions can save humanity is what makes her dangerous to humanity.

Galen didn’t get demoted for screwing up earlier. He got demoted for being a dick to the admiral and couldn’t get himself under control in front of a whole bar of people who are all the admiral’s subordinates. You can’t let that go. Adama gave him the option of going and cooling off. He didn’t take it.

Roslyn has to handle the civilian side of things in a very different way than Adama has to handle the military side of things.

I think the example of the Pegasus shows that even in such dire circumstances, it still might not be justified.