bay area places to live

There are two train stations in Burlingame if your jobs are near the depot at 3rd and Townsend. Burlingame is beyond cool, it is like the movie Pleasantville after it has turned color and settled down. In any event, be near public transport to your city jobs if they are in downtown SF, as anything else is sheer madness.

Daly City is a shithole. East Palo Alto, Hayward, Union City and most of Oakland all the way to Richmond are shitholes. There are nice parts of Oakland, but you don’t want to search for them as a newcomer.

“The” is sometimes added when using the non-number name of a freeway, but that’s pretty much limited to the Nimitz and the Bayshore.

I love California-and I would love to live there. Can you live reasonably in rural areas (like San Benito County-south of the Bay area)-or notth? Places like Healdsburg or Cambria come to mind.
Can it be done?

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Bay Area native do this.

Of course, you are, IIRC, the same guy that claims people get confused over whether San Jose or San Francisco is “the city”.

True, though with the Nimitz it often comes with “nasty” as in “The nasty Nimitz.”

Absolutely; the farther you get away from an urban area, the more affordable it gets. So it depends on how you envision spending your golden years. San Benito county is pretty cheap, but then your major center for nightlife would be Hollister.

He did. But he didn’t say it was un-used, just there’s a lot of haters out there- some of who use it but don’t hear themselves. Like I said, up here it’s not anywhere near as emphasised as down south

And yes, there are a couple of radio annoucers who have used it, but they are trained not to do so by the scads of letters from haters.

Honestly, I know dudes who were born here that say “thuh 101”.

My daughter – native Northerner – says it, to my everlasting shame. I think she picked it up from her college roommate, the Southron.

I’m a Bay Area native - born in San Francisco, grew up in San Rafael, currently living in Richmond - and I do that all the time.

Well my options are better now-the job in Foster City was lame so my other half will be working from home with a younger company, and I’ll be commuting to SOMA. We’re still thinking Pacifica, San Mateo, Alameda, or Belmont :slight_smile:

So, is Hollister a “happening” place?

Uh, no. Hollister’s main claim to fame is that a real-life event there in the late '40s inspired the Marlon Brando movie “The Wild One”.

San Benito County also has San Juan Bautista, which has several good Mexican restaurants, an historic mission, lots of antique shops, and lots of biker bars.

Yikes! Just what a retired guy needs!:smiley:

I mean, I have visited on three occasions-at times varying from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM-and NOBODY was around!
The only person I saw was the desk clerk at the mission gift shop!

Must’ve been on a weekday, right? I’ve only been to SJB on Sundays, and it’s always been bumpin’. Relatively speaking.

San Juan is pretty busy on the weekends. It’s a popular brunch destination for both motorized and human-powered bikers. There are some nice antique shops there too. Fremont Peak State Park is nearby; on a clear day you can see all the way from Monterey to Santa Cruz from up there.