Beer in the Old West

Nah, I’ll just keep hijacking this one.
Some generations ago, it was not uncommon for women to drink beer after giving birth in the belief that the beer helped them produce better milk. A barrel of strong beer (groaning ale) would be put aside in preparation for the birth, and as the beer may have been cleaner than the local water, the baby would be bathed in some of it, and mom (and maybe the midwife too) would drink the rest.

Actually, I read something similar as advice to nursing mothers. A nursing mom needs lots of liquids, and needs to relax. Sipping a beer helps with both. Beer can also be a source of vitamins (the B group, I believe). Obviously moderation is in order, but having one a day may well be beneficial. The washing-in-beer bit I have never heard of before; I would think it would result in a rather sticky baby!

But tasty!

But thanks for the info. Breasts and beer in the same thread is never a bad thing.

I wonder if you’re not thinking of Calvert, Texas just up the road from Bryan.

In his books, anthropologist Marvin Harris notes that one of the most efficient ways to get your corn to market in the Old Days was to first convert it into whiskey – higher price per pound transported. I suspect a lot of farmers (especially in the MidWest, which grew a lot of corn) did the math. Whiskey keeps better than corn, too.